Close

Default Too restore or not restore....

Hi everyone,

My name is Kevin and I'm reading through the posts to try and gauge how big a task it would be to restore my Mom's original owner Mustang.

It's a 1984 5.0 H.O. LX convertible with 59m original miles. Red on Red interior (fire engine red as my Mom likes to call it) with a white top. When I was lucky, I got to drive it to the grocery store or the occasional school dance when I was in high school. It's running and has it's original paint because it's been garaged it's whole life in SoCal.

This would not be an everyday driver but a regularly used weekend car. I live in San Diego and would need to find good resources: Contemplating a repaint (depending if a good detail brings back the luster), the plastic front grill and bumper has faded and doesn't match the metal red. The interior is in good shape but the front seats have lost support. The suspension might need some TLC as could the engine I think. It's had regular tuneups and oil changes.

I'm not really a mechanically inclined guy and I also don't have the time or location to work on it myself. Any suggestions on how to go about this in San Diego/Southern CA?

The car has great nostalgia for both me and my Mom, so I'd really like to figure a way to do this. I'll keep reading through the posts and will also get VIN and door info to post along with pics. In the meantime I'm open to any suggestions people have.

Thanks!

FEP Supporter

This is happening in San Diego right now. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-or-TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!

Marshall (conmech) could offer some ideas as to where you could go to get it done.

Good luck and welcome to the site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Thank you!!!!!

I would probably just recommend a good detailing to see how the paint buffs out and a tuneup.

A good restoration can get very expensive very fast if you are unable to do some of the work yourself especially if the car needs any mechanical work or body work. The experience that I had in my area was that there were body shops willing to do a fast paint job for a few thousand and up depending on quality but they were not willing to commit to a full restoration or body work without a significant investment. There were shops willing to rebuild engines and paint them for around $2500 but they would not pull the engine.

If you do decide to have some restoration work done, hopefully you will have better resources in San Diego than I did that can help keep the costs down and handle the project management for anything that they can't do in house. Expect to pay at least 5-10% of the project up front. I would get references and firm estimates before a contract is signed. I have heard a lot of horror stories about projects running way over budget and initial deposits being made without any work ever getting done.

Good luck!

You would be surprised what a quality detail job can do for 31-year old single stage paint...especially Red. I used to have a 1983 RX-7 that was red...the single stage paint in that color oxidizes so quickly, I felt like I was doing it all the time.

If the canyon red metallic paint on my 84 survived baking in the SoCal desert and still polish up nicely, you mom's garages car should too. Show us pics when you can!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Thumbs up

Pm sent. Thanks Darran for the referal.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Welcome to FEP!

From the sounds of it, I believe with some TLC, elbow grease, and maybe a few new parts your Mom's Lc will be in great shape!

I agree with all the others that have posted that if you don't have the ability and/or location to do a lot of the work yourself a full on restoration just isn't cost effective. Unfortunately the Fox Mustangs don't bring big money like the early Mustangs so full restorations are generally a money loser if you were to ever chose to sell it.

Besides with the low mileage and the garage kept nature of the LX, odds are that it just needs some attention to bring it back to full glory!

Good Luck and let us know how we can help!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Can we see some pics??

Welcome to the site.

The bumpers never quite matched the car from day one. They were painted off the car and do seem to dull quicker than the rest of the paint. I'd do a good detailing on it and keep the factory paint for as long as possible.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanks guys, very much appreciate the advice. The car is getting a full detail (and touch up to a few small paint chips). The detailer is confident he can get the paint back to looking great. From there I'm looking at ways to improve the suspension, braking, and then maybe a few bolt on power improvements/exhaust. My goal is to have a car that's reliable, looks (mostly) original (depends on what I do with the seats) and drives like a modern car (as much as possible) for a fun to drive weekend car. I have some pics up in my profile (pre detail)Name:  FullSizeRender 13.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  137.0 KBName:  IMG_0453.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  91.0 KBName:  IMG_0455.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  94.9 KBName:  IMG_0454.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  96.3 KB

That looks like a great vert. I think the only thing I'd chage are the wheels....and maybe the seats (and anything else that's white in the interior). I'm just not a fan of white interiors, but different strokes. It's a great looking car and the fact that it's been in the family makes it even better.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Kevin -

That's a terrific looking car! I would keep the interior the stock red that came with it originally. You can buy new upholstery to take care of that. I agree with Mike about the wheels...something more interesting looking at the very least. I'm confident that you won't need to repaint the car to be happy with it. Keep posting pics and updates.
    Bryan

Blog Entries

Being a child of the 80's, i like the wheels. You were the shiznet if you had a set of those in '89. I'd just buff it, and drive the wheels off of it. Get true duals on it first, just for the sound, and enjoy it.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

That's a great looking car! It has definitely been well taken care of and it will probably look like new after the detail.

I agree with what others have said about changing the wheels. I'll bet it originally had the TRX metric wheels with the expensive tires. I think it would look really good with Mustang pony wheels.

Welcome to the site. Please keep us updated on your progress. Your plans and the end result should be a lot of fun!
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Thanks Guys,

Larry it did in fact have the TRX metric wheels originally, which was a great look. Not sure where in the process we lost those, might have to consider bringing them back. Wheels are definitely on the list. When I get it back I need to take a closer look at the seats and see if they can be saved. The latching system that holds them upright and allows you to pull it forward don't really work anymore. I'd love to get a red leather sport seat with a little more support, that would match everything. I see a lot of covers at TMI but not as many actual red replacement seats. Part of the fun is looking though. I talked to the detail company and they are confident it's going to come back....I'll know for sure when it's done towards the end of this week. I'll share pictures when I get it back.

Blog Entries

Yeah, you won't be using the TRX rims any time soon. There is only one company making tires that fit them, and they are around $500 EACH. You can buy a lot of pony rims with new tires for $2000. Like about 3 complete sets! Lol
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

I guess I'm one of the weird ones, I don't dislike the wheels on it now. Ponies are fine but everyone (including me at one time) runs them. Nothing wrong with being different and a little old school at the same time.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Hi guys, the detail came out really well I think. I live in CA and wondering what I can do about getting power and staying inside the emissions guidelines. Could I get away with switching to the carbureted version (which was available in the GT in 84)? I've heard my power options are limited with the 84/85 EFI system and that they really improved in 86 (which is wired totally differently?). Here are some pics...Name:  FullSizeRender 21.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  136.9 KBName:  FullSizeRender 20.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  135.4 KBName:  FullSizeRender 19.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  134.0 KBName:  FullSizeRender 18.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  123.2 KBName:  FullSizeRender 16.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  134.4 KB

FEP Supporter

The detail came out real well you say!? Wow I'll say so. That looks fantastic! A head turner for sure.

I can't help with your engine question but I'd suggest looking in the V8 tech section or post a thread over there. There's a lot of good info around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Member

Wow, that is one awesome looking car. The wheels look right at home IMO.

That's quite a result from the detailing...I'd say that the car doesn't need anything in the exterior restoration department. That's definitely a keeper!
    Bryan

thanks. Now I am looking through all the threads on the dreaded CFI. Hoping I can go back to the Carbed version and pass emissions. Both were available in 84 and the vin number doesn't designate which version the car had so fingers crossed......better for a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Shaner View Post
    Hi guys, the detail came out really well I think.
    Wow. Are you sure they didn't paint it? LOL The paint looks awesome! I even like the wheels now too.

Good luck with the power mods. Sorry, I don't know anything about CA emissions.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Cali smog is a real pita. I would not change anything. If you do you will have to go to a referee station. The problem, one day a ref may pass something the next time not. Change will most likely bring other problems that you will have to deal with. The car looks great, don't mess with the engine.
    85 5.0. 68 cougar- hidden four eye.
    12 5.0
    02 6er

Kev,
    AWESOME results with the detail. As for the wheels, I have a plan for my 20th after it is unveiled in October that you might like.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...r-Bardstown-KY

Get in contact with me in the near future
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.