Close

Default Best Harmonic Balancer and timing questions

Hey guys, I have a question on what you are all using for harmonic balancers. Upon further investigation, my buddy and I determined that I have fell victim of the moving outer ring. We checked it again today after the car started tripping over itself and found my initial timing way off. We set #1 piston at TDC by a gauge and afterwards set the initial timing at 10 BTC. We are showing 10 BTC at idle and 25 at around 2500 rpm. Does that sound right? I still think the outer ring is moving a bit as it shows melting around the damper. I would like to get the best part and get this set correctly.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I tun this one, http://www.professional-products.com...mper-p461.html

It's their race unit, they also have a street unit that is cheaper.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

I should add that the timing initially changed as the distributor hold down bolt came loose and the timing changed. When we went to set it back at the 10 btc where we had it marked originally, it ran worse which made us think about checking it with the gauge.

Ltngdrvr, this probably sounds like a rookie question as it really is. Why does the damper you suggested have 3 sets of timing marks?
    Brock

on my 92 gt i bought a stock 50oz "ford racing" replacement, been happy with it for the last 21k miles: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...-m50/overview/

i have used the 28oz Prof Products damper on a stroker build and it led to needing a pulley spacer, and then the spacer threw my belt alignment off so i needed to have 0.23" machined off the spacer to fix my belt alignment. worked fine, but did cause me a bit of a headache.
    a couple people at the hot rod shop commented on how heavy it was.. they were more of a "hemi" crowd though. oem ford is 9.4lbs, the P.P. street is 10.1lbs, i went home and researched after they commented on it.

pic of my P.P. street/spacer:

keep in mind all my cars have been newer than yours, so these may just be issues I ran into.
    Last edited by rob342; 07-14-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

3 sets of timing marks because different applications have the pointer in different locations.

And yes, the prof products balancer fits many different applications, thus needs a pulley spacer to get proper pulley alignment, and they offer a few different thicknesses of spacers.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Default Please upgrade

Not sure of the REAL reason yet but I lost my 331 over weekend and engine shop commented it was due to faulty balancer

I have yet to dig into it further but either way upgrade but also be Concerned about weight they can and have snapped crank snouts off (cast)

I didn't choose factory engine shop did so there's a tip

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Not sure of the REAL reason yet but I lost my 331 over weekend and engine shop commented it was due to faulty balancer

I have yet to dig into it further but either way upgrade but also be Concerned about weight they can and have snapped crank snouts off (cast)

I didn't choose factory engine shop did so there's a tip
    Holy Crap! That thing looks like it has seen better days....
    Brock

PowerBond SFI; about $200. No spacer needed; one set of timing marks. Mine is the older design with the changeable weights; the newer versions are specific weights. FWIW, "Woody" of SBFStrokers.com offers the PowerBond and the pricier Innovators West dampers on his site.

Double Post
    Last edited by qtrracer; 07-26-2015 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Double post - computer burp

I run the Romac sfi steel balancers. They are real good for the money. The stock 50oz balancers are no good for performance applications. When the outer ring spins on them they send the rotating assembly out of balance and they will vibrate and shake. And if driven long enough will take out the bearings or actually break something.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)