Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 79 Coupe Cabriolet - Hemmings $12,900

FEP Supporter

I like the brushed aluminum looking dash bezel. Interesting car for sure... I liked this statement: "...and what was the rarest of the first options due to lack of supplies, the 2.8L V6 engine."
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

The description reads like it was written by someone who knows very little about mustangs as well as the English language. The wording reminds me of all the times I've won the Nigerian lottery.
    Did 1979 mustangs come from the factory with a 4 way lug wrench? Because that's what it looks like is in the trunk.
    Pretty car, but no where's near worth the money.

Did they offer the cabriolet in 1979?
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Never heard of a "cabriolet" option on a Capri/Mustang. Somebody took some liberties with the mods and badges.

The only roof option in 1979 was vinyl. A "carriage" roof was available in 1980 through 1982.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Never heard of a "cabriolet" option on a Capri/Mustang. Somebody took some liberties with the mods and badges.

The only roof option in 1979 was vinyl. A "carriage" roof was available in 1980 through 1982.
    But they said it, it must be true!

This very rare, well documented, 1979 Ford Mustang Cabriolet is one of few vehicles that survived after being used as the show car at the major auto shows and stands tall as the day it was built to be shown! With it being owned by Ford originally to be shown as the first example of the Mustang built on the Fox Body, this was purchased as a used company car by the same owner who is giving us the pleasure to put this up for your consideration. Reading from the original invoice you see the amount of add-ons they put to this vehicle in order to show it in all its glory. With forged aluminum wheels, premium sound system, accent groups for both interior and exterior, they even added features that weren't ever offered to the public! With modified materials on the seats and cabriolet roof, wider tail lamps and even oscillating headlamp washers, there are many reasons this is a one-of-a-kind! This vehicle is in great running order, has had no restoration necessary nor performed and is a great find for those who love to find rare and collectable Mustangs! Documents provided with sale include original bill of sale, letters from Ford confirming its originality, original invoice, photos of this vehicle at the Detroit Auto Show and the Chicago Auto Show and even a cost analysis for what it took for them to produce this show car, you can't get any better history than that!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    But they said it, it must be true!

This very rare, well documented, 1979 Ford Mustang Cabriolet is one of few vehicles that survived after being used as the show car at the major auto shows and stands tall as the day it was built to be shown! With it being owned by Ford originally to be shown as the first example of the Mustang built on the Fox Body, this was purchased as a used company car by the same owner who is giving us the pleasure to put this up for your consideration. Reading from the original invoice you see the amount of add-ons they put to this vehicle in order to show it in all its glory. With forged aluminum wheels, premium sound system, accent groups for both interior and exterior, they even added features that weren't ever offered to the public! With modified materials on the seats and cabriolet roof, wider tail lamps and even oscillating headlamp washers, there are many reasons this is a one-of-a-kind! This vehicle is in great running order, has had no restoration necessary nor performed and is a great find for those who love to find rare and collectable Mustangs! Documents provided with sale include original bill of sale, letters from Ford confirming its originality, original invoice, photos of this vehicle at the Detroit Auto Show and the Chicago Auto Show and even a cost analysis for what it took for them to produce this show car, you can't get any better history than that!
    They did say they have documentation, that would prove it. Also, if you look closely at the owner card, it has an 89 for the DSO, Ford Transportation Services. I bet if you did a Marti report, the order type would be Show Car, Engineering, Promotion, or Marketing vehicle; something of that sort. The car really belongs in a Museum.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmania View Post
    They did say they have documentation, that would prove it. Also, if you look closely at the owner card, it has an 89 for the DSO, Ford Transportation Services. I bet if you did a Marti report, the order type would be Show Car, Engineering, Promotion, or Marketing vehicle; something of that sort. The car really belongs in a Museum.
    That's what I see here, Ford Showcar. One day we'll say, wow, what a bargain that was.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

I would have to remove the cabriolet badges as they look way to close to chevrolet..........

Some moron would probably say that "I didn't know Chevrolet made a Mustang.....How rare is that?"
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I don't see the value in it. Sure, it's unique but I don't see anyone beating down the door to own it. It's really got nothing of value on it. Nobody wants that roof, nor that drivetrain, and we all know how much replacement tires cost for it. It does belong in a museum or a collection though.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I am not sure about this car. I emailed them asking them for some documentation. Who knows. I almost spent $46.00 on a Marti report on this car.

Look at this - The font is the same as Chevrolet. I am in agreement with 84StangSVT

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 07-15-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Oh that just looks fishy
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    Oh that just looks fishy
    I agree.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Ok, I got this from the seller. I will post what they send me.

"Hi David,

Thanks for your note.

We've got quite a bit on file. I won't be able to get it to you today, but once I'm caught up with a few things, I'll scan in some of the docs and get them to you.

Thanks for your interest,
    Doug"
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

I think it's kind of odd that the car is not a really early VIN number and it has an engine that was discontinued probably not too long after this particular car was built. I would have thought Ford would have started with one of the first or a preproduction model and would have picked a drivetrain like the turbo four to showcase since it was the hot new thing. Who knows, but those two things strike me as odd.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

The scheduled production date for this car was December 21 (21M), 1978. I have four VINs in the database with a confirmed production date of July 1979 so it looks like the 2.8L V6 was available the entire model year, or at least into the second to last month of production (August was the last month).
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 07-15-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Duh, I read the VIN wrong anyway, I thought it was 100k later than it is.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Cabriolet is a foreign word isn't it? I thought it normally referred to a convertible though? Is this a carriage roof or a convertible? I like the color combo, but IMO this car was created by an owner, not built by ford.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I don't doubt it was done by Ford. They may have been testing the Cabriolet roof with the public at the auto shows. It was introduced the next year so maybe the public reaction was favorable. And then they changed the marketing name from Cabriolet Roof to Simulated Convertible Top or Carriage Roof. Marketing changes things on a dime. I'm not sure why everyone is so skeptical. The guy says he has the Ford documentation documenting the build. I might have to go see this car in person tomorrow.
    Last edited by mustangmania; 07-16-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Does the roof fold down on this car? That is the definition of cabriolet. I think that is the biggest issue I have with the car. Other than that I think the car is believable. It would also help if the person who wrote the description knew more about the car. Posting some of the documentation would help as well.
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    Does the roof fold down on this car? That is the definition of cabriolet. I think that is the biggest issue I have with the car. Other than that I think the car is believable. It would also help if the person who wrote the description knew more about the car. Posting some of the documentation would help as well.
    I agree that they should have the documentation from Ford scanned and shown. Then we wouldn't have any debate. I also agree that with you about the "Cabriolet" badges. Whomever put them on that car, either Ford or a subsequent owner, it's just plain dorky. The top doesn't go down!
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

Only thing I think is really weird is that its not a really early production number. I thought most show cars were done before the models were officially released, but the idea that it was to show off something like the carriage top seems plausible. Maybe to get public reaction to some of the trim changes, sure wish the dash trim would have made production. My 84 is going to sport a similar motif one day.

I wish that entire interior would have gone into production. I love the color, especially with the silver paint...it looks amazing.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

This is why I love documentation on any car. Well, well!

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Well there you go. Invoiced in Mid January. Just as Travis surmised...modified to show off the 1980 Mustang carriage roof option, and then taken to the auto shows.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast