Close

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thanks Dave and Bryan.

Bryan, I made the mistake of starting the refurb on the red car by hand and I know how tough that is, that is why I bought a cheap DA and pads. While I'm sure I could achieve even greater results with a good orbital buffer and pads, I don't really have a great use for them at this time as the DA does just fine IMO. I have done the areas close to the hood stripes and other areas I didn't want the DA by hand and all in all it came out good with minimal goof ups.

If I could afford to strip it down and repaint at this time, I would in a heartbeat but I have other areas to address than the outside paint. That is the reason I'm working on getting it to shine. Hell it's a driver and needs a few bumps and bruises to add to its character otherwise if it is too nice, I will be afraid to put some miles on her.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Well......today didn't start off very well.

Hopped in the car this morning to come to work, hit the key and crank, crank, THUNK! Hit the key a few more times out of curiosity and click, click click was all it would do. I didn't have the time to look at anything in depth as I was running borderline behind anyways, so I grabbed what I needed out of the car and hopped in the truck. That turned into a unique endeavor as it was blocked in between the house, mustang and the other 2 cars so I had to crank the wheel one way and back up 6 inches, crank the wheel the other way and drive forward 12 inches. This went on about 6 times before I finally was able to clear the car and the house to drive out into the yard and hit the street. Wife's probably not gonna be very happy I drove through the yard.......again.

I'm hoping maybe the starter just finally died on it and it is nothing major. I have had hot start issues with this car since I have had it and the other day it kind of had the same starting characteristics, like it was hot, but it had been sitting overnight. If that is in fact what has happened, I think maybe I should just go ahead and get the parts needed to put a mini starter on it instead of the monster that currently resides in the hole.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Brock

It's worth checking the connections to your starter from the solenoid and the battery ground if you haven't already. They can loosen and corrode very easily. The solenoid itself could have gone as well.

If your problem is any of these things, they're easy and quick fixes. You can always bump the solenoid with a screwdriver to get the car started in a pinch if that's your issue.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

Definitely going to check all the above as I may have a couple issues. I know at one point the solenoid connections have been loose as there are signs of melting on the terminals and also the connections on the battery cables. I'm strongly considering doing the upgrade to the mini starter as most every body I have talked to that has done it has been happy with it. If I do have to change both the starter, solenoid and wires, I think that upgrade would be money well spent.
    Brock

The starter might be OK, but take a look at the starter cable, because it might be toasted. How are your battery cables?

Don't go to a parts store to get a starter. If you have good junkyards around, you should be able to find the right starter in a lower mileage wreck. There are at least a few later Fords which use a starter which is compatible with a Fox body. The advantage to the junkyard starter is that it will be a genuine Ford starter, on there since new, and will likely have at least as much life in it, as one from McParts.

I don't see why you can't use your existing solenoid (as long as it's still good) with a mini starter.
    Run a smaller wire (in place of the original starter cable) from the switched-side post of the solenoid, to the spade terminal on the mini starter's own personal solenoid.
    Then run a cable from the battery-side post, to the lug on the starter motor, and that's it.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Got home yesterday and with the youngest boys help, shoved the car up the driveway and into the garage to check it out. Had him sit in the car and turn the key while I was under the hood with the volt meter. After about 30 seconds, it was apparent why the car wouldn't start. The solenoid was toast. Dug around in the parts collection and found a McParts store cheepo that was on the vert and slapped it on. Fired right up. Cycled it a few times and took it for a long ride as I wanted to get the car up to temp and see if maybe that was what has been causing my hot start issue. Drove it around for about 45 minutes, pulled in the driveway and shut it off. Well, here goes nothing........hit the key again and the car fired right back up with absolutely no hesitation or drag like I was having before the replacement. I do believe it was the solenoid messing up when hot the whole time now!

While I still plan on upgrading the start system, I can wait a bit on it now as long as the cheepo solenoid holds up.
    Brock

Cool that is all it was. Whatever you do don't ever put a cheap starter on one of these cars. Learned that one the hard way, eight Advance starters in six years (all under warranty of course) only to be fixed by a junkyard Ford starter.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanks for the advice Travis. I don't intend on using inferior parts on the car if I can help it as I would like it to be as reliable as possible for many years to come. Over the winter, I have every intention of getting rid of some of the known el cheepo parts on it but I figured since I had the solenoid laying around, why not use it for the time being since I enjoy driving the heck out of it.. I figure I will only have a few weeks left of decent weather before I have to put it up for the long winter and actually start adding some good quality repair information in this thread.
    Brock

Winter is setting in here really fast so my time of enjoying driving the car has come to a close. It did not stop me from driving it one last time yesterday in mid 30's weather to get a couple shots of her before the real work begins. I took these pics downtown by the TipTop condos which reside there now but this building started life in 1914 as Ford's Omaha Model T assembly plant. I think what is cool about this, is while the water tower on the building does have the TipTop logo on 2 sides, it has retained the Ford logo on the other 2 sides which makes it a perfect place for a photo op!

Name:  tiptop1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  46.9 KBName:  tiptop2.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  46.9 KB

Good thing I took her out one last time as this is what it looks like right now. Predicting 2-6" by time everything is said and done.

Name:  snow.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  102.5 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 11-30-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    Brock

Hmmm. I live just a few miles from our old Model T plant. I'll have to snap a pic of it. I think ours is now offices.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    Hmmm. I live just a few miles from our old Model T plant. I'll have to snap a pic of it. I think ours is now offices.
    Found out a little extra history on the building. It was opened in 1916 and ceased assembly in 1932. Ford did retain the building for sales and service until they sold it in 1955. The assembly process was a bit different at this facility as production and assembly actually started at the ground level and moved 5 stories upwards towards the roof. Finished autos ended up on the roof! NEAT!
    Brock

I love that color. Is that factory paint?
    1985 GT with t tops

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    I love that color. Is that factory paint?
    Thanks! It has been repainted but it is the factory color, 8Q - Desert Tan.
    Brock

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!

Got the car put away for the winter and now I'm beginning to set the refurb/upgrade plan into motion. I have a huge laundry list that I want to complete this winter so time will be of the essence and hopefully extra funds will become available. While funds are within a pretty strict budget, I think with some careful planning and smart shopping I will be able to get most of it done......including some of the wish list items.

Got the car moved into position and where she will sit for the rest of the winter...
    Attachment 93322

Here is the laundry list that I feel I need to complete this winter...

1) Rebuild/replace transmission and associated parts such as cable, quadrant, etc
    2) Replace fender badges and put in proper orientation. Also put GT hood badge on stripe.
    3) Fix some crusty wiring under the hood
    4) Hook back up the fuel vapor canister system
    5) Get the speedometer working again. I think it's either a bad gear or cable as the speedo works fine out of the car.
    6) Fix some odd and end drips in the engine compartment. Have to find the sources first but the intake gasket, timing cover gasket and rear
    main seal are really suspect at this time.
    7) Replace all bushings in the rear suspension.
    8 ) Complete overhaul of the brake system.
    9) Replace the floor pans as they are getting pretty sad
    10) Replace door, sunroof and hatch weatherstripping
    11) Install new hatch hinges
    12) Re-seal quarter windows
    13) Replace shifter and fuel filler neck seals to body
    14) Find proper hangers and isolators for the exhaust system and install. Exhaust kind of floating at this time.
    15) Install new inner and outer dew wipes on doors
    16) Fix power lock mechanisms.
    17) Fix power fuel door popper.
    18 ) Get the HVAC control cables hooked back up and functioning.
    19) Put a radio in the car

Pending time and budget.......
    20) Bodywork by the sunroof, rear passenger side quarter panel and touch up some blemishes on the paint.
    21) Sub-frame connectors
    22) Lowering springs
    23) Put 84 1/2 nose and all fog light accessories on car and make functional.
    24) Tint windows

I know that this list may change throughout the course of the winter but it is a solid list to start from. We will see how much pops up during this and messes up the whole scheme of things.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 12-02-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    Brock

Long list, but do-able if you're determined. I can't believe you got rid of the vert? I understand why, but I can't believe it? Good luck with the work, that's an amazing car and is definitely deserving.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Long list, but do-able if you're determined. I can't believe you got rid of the vert? I understand why, but I can't believe it? Good luck with the work, that's an amazing car and is definitely deserving.
    Thanks Mike. The list is long but not really as bad as it looks since a chunk of the items are small cosmetic and mechanical issues.

Believe me when I say that I honestly miss the vert as I had big plans and high hopes for it. I have never had a vert and times I got to drive it, I enjoyed being able to have the top down. What a great feeling! I'm positive that once I have the GT squared away where I want it, another 4-eye convertible will end up joining the family and this time it will not have the issues I ran into with the other one.
    Brock

Finally got started on the laundry list. The first line of action was to remove the exhaust in preparation for all of the other activities that will be taking place under the car this winter. Figured it should be a pretty straight forward task and be pretty uneventful, BUT....things are never that easy for me.

Upon removing the system, it became apparent that this is another area of the car that had the same midas touch that the transmission crossmember had. There were only 4 hangers under the car that held the exhaust, on the mufflers and on the tailpipes. It appears that there should be one somewhere around the transmission crossmember that the X-Pipe hangs on to. I guess I need to locate this one so all of the weight doesn't hang on the header bolts and mufflers.

Next up was the quality fabrication of the system from the X-Pipe back. Someone had put brand new mufflers on this car not too terribly long ago and when they did, they used odds and ends to piece it together. On top of that, the welds either never got finished or they burned through the pipe. One inlet pipe to the muffler had already broke its weld and was about ready to drop the muffler out of it.

This system goes from a nice set of BBK shorties to a 2.5" BBK X-Pipe then to a set of 2.25" Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers where it gets choked down to the 1.75" tailpipes. So.....in true car fashion, I will need to add partial exhaust replacement to the laundry list as an unexpected expense. The tailpipes were shot anyways so no big deal and the new ones will look so good!

Name:  ex5.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  110.4 KBName:  ex12.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  126.7 KBName:  ex2.JPG
Size:  98.1 KBName:  ex3.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  93.8 KBName:  ex4.JPG
Size:  97.6 KB
    Brock

Name:  ex8.JPG
Size:  104.7 KBName:  ex9.JPG
Size:  119.2 KBName:  ex6.JPG
Size:  111.8 KBName:  ex7.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  128.7 KB
    Brock

Name:  ex11.JPG
Size:  125.1 KBName:  ex10.JPG
Size:  127.7 KB
    Brock

There was something that Fidel and I always found a bit odd about the exhaust tone on this car and I do believe this explains it. There are so many leaks in the exhaust that I do believe that is what was creating the buzzing sound that we both thought odd. It was mostly noticeable at idle but the car sounded good with revs. Get this sealed up properly and I will bet this car will sound great!
    Brock

WOW!!! again I am amazed at the quality of work from prior owners, im so glad this car is gaining the attention it deserves!!!
    Thanks Brock!!

Continuing on SLOWLY. I got the gas tank dropped last night and actually was able to not spill and salvage the 5 gallons of gas left in the tank! My daily driver needed it LOL! I was actually quite relieved to see that the underside of this area is quite clean. It looks to be that, minus a couple rubber grommets/plugs and some very minor surface rust, this area should be a really simple refurbish to make look good again. The biggest problem is that the car only sits about a foot and a half off of the ground, so any work has to be done in somewhat cramped quarters. I'm sure I will figure out how to clean, prime and paint this area as it sits.

Name:  centerunderneathrear.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  132.0 KBName:  dsunderneathrear1.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  149.9 KBName:  psunderneathrear1.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  148.4 KBName:  rearendandtorqueboxes.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  148.6 KB
    Brock

That looks as clean as my NC car.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Definitely cleaner than the cars around this area. The car must not have seen too much salt over the years. Too bad the front floor pans, the spot by the sunroof and questionable areas by the hatch might end up biting me in the rear. I've got to pop this sealer off by the hatch but probing around yesterday tells me it might be crusty under there.

Is it normal for that area to be buried under so much seam sealer?

Attachment 94606Name:  dshatchseamsealerrust1.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  109.4 KB
    Brock

Yep, looks pretty normal to me. At least the passenger side does. Can't tell if the driver's side has a little more on it or not.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast