Close

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Less altitude = better attitude!!!

Just tossing this out there... When I did my front end stuff at home I did the same as you are planning as far as driving it around a bit then tightening the a arms after. No issues, but I did ask the alignment tech to torque them down while he was under there. Tossed him a ten spot and it was all good.
    Thanks! I figured I will have the alignment guy double check torque on everything I replaced while he is under there. With the exception of the steering rack and tires, literally everything under the car front and rear in regards to steering and suspension is new.

Should drive much better now.....at least I'm hoping.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Looking good. Getting better all the time.

Looks great Brock!

Man buddy it does look way better!!!!!!

Havent checked in with you in a while. Kids wife vacation, you know. Looks good. I'm determined to get the kids ice cream yet this summer but they might need their coats

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Looking good. Getting better all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Looks great Brock!
    Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Man buddy it does look way better!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    Havent checked in with you in a while. Kids wife vacation, you know. Looks good. I'm determined to get the kids ice cream yet this summer but they might need their coats
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty thrilled with the outcome. It was a bit of a learning experience and only having a couple hours a night, at best, took me longer than I wanted.

Shane...you are probably close on getting the ice cream wearing coats statement. Hard to believe it is early August and it was a cool 56 degrees this morning. WTF? I will admit that I tried the heater in the truck on the way into work this morning and happy to report it works great!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 08-04-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    Brock

Completed the string alignment on it last night and at least I can drive it with minimal effort and tire scrubbing to the alignment shop. Went to install the new swaybar links and since it was lowered, the new ones that I have are wayyyyyyyy to long. I guess I didn't do good enough research on which ones I needed when I was shopping. Taking some measurements, it looks to be that I can cut about an inch off of the outer sleeve and cut some more threads in the bolt and it should be good to use. I will have that done tonight so the swaybar is installed and FCA's torqued down.

Took it for a slow ride around the neighborhood last night and even with the swaybar disconnected and the FCA's loose, it feels like a whole different animal. All the normal potholes, cracks and speed bumps that usually produced an unfavorable rock concert consisting of clunks, squeaks and rattles are virtually gone and it feels tight with no bouncing or jittery movements. It's amazing! I hope that I can get it in this weekend for an alignment and tires and be done with this portion of the project.
    Brock

Found out its hard to torque the front control arms in the driveway on ramps. Got it accomplished I think but I will still have the alignment guy double check them. I also got the sway bar links modified and installed. Took it for a decent drive and besides fine tuning the alignment, it drive good and straight. I couldn't resist blowing the carbon out of it, so I laid the pedal to the floor and before I knew it, I was up to 80 mph. I can say that all the previous shakes and shimmys are gone and this thing rides like a new car! It does have a slight increase in road feel through the poly bushings, but it is far from rough and it feels good and right.
    Brock

I'm jealous

It was an eventful weekend. I might get flamed a bit for this, but I had to make a decision on painting the front and make it quick. Knowing the car will need a full repaint soon and additional time consuming work to make things perfect, both with the body and bumper, I chose to do what needed to be done in short order and.........I rattlecanned it.

All in all, it looks pretty good IMHO for what it is. It is at least as good if not better than some MAACO jobs. Beings it is a rattlecan job and it will be coming back off this winter, hopefully, to do repairs to the bumper, I don't think I will invest a lot of time to try and make it shine like the rest of the car. It is at least photogenic even if it doesn't look perfect in person.

The worst part about this was all the masking needing done to separate the areas and keep the colors separated. I can honestly see why some people and shops just spray the moldings and all.

I roughed up the primer and cleaned it the best I could, so hopefully the paint stays attached for at least the next couple weeks.
    Brock

Some progress photos:

Name:  0805171414.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  103.0 KBName:  0805171452.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  88.4 KBName:  0806171259.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  90.6 KBName:  0806171314.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  97.6 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 08-07-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Brock

Making some progress!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Some completed photos:

Name:  0806171419a.jpg
Size:  128.9 KBName:  0806171419b.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  165.2 KBName:  0806171424.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  128.6 KBName:  0806171435.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  135.0 KB
    Brock

I still need to see if I can find matching pinstipe tape and that could prove to be difficult in such short notice. Tan pinstriping is not a common stock item it seems.

I also need to figure out where I saw that GT stencil for the hood and get it ordered so I can paint the GT back on the hood like it came. I think that would complete the look.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Making some progress!
    Thanks Trey! I know there were paint and body guys turning over in their graves as I was doing my redneck paint job, but they will have to forgive me for now. I will make it right eventually.

What blows my mind is how this color is very dependent on light. In the garage, I was 100% sure that it was not even close and it was going to look horrible. Each light I used changed the visual effect of it ranging from it being too dark, to too light as opposed to the rest of the body. When I rolled it out into the sunlight, it almost makes it appear as damn close. I know it's a bit light but other people have said it looks right.

I will take that as good feedback.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 08-07-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I still need to see if I can find matching pinstipe tape and that could prove to be difficult in such short notice. Tan pinstriping is not a common stock item it seems.

I also need to figure out where I saw that GT stencil for the hood and get it ordered so I can paint the GT back on the hood like it came. I think that would complete the look.
    Brock -

Here's the link for the stencil:

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...ood-decal.html
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Brock -

Here's the link for the stencil:

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...ood-decal.html
    That's it! Thanks a bunch Bryan!

It is ordered and on the way!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 08-07-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    Brock

Thanks Trey! I know there were paint and body guys turning over in their graves as I was doing my redneck paint job, but they will have to forgive me for now. I will make it right eventually.

What blows my mind is how this color is very dependent on light. In the garage, I was 100% sure that it was not even close and it was going to look horrible. Each light I used changed the visual effect of it ranging from it being too dark, to too light as opposed to the rest of the body. When I rolled it out into the sunlight, it almost makes it appear as damn close. I know it's a bit light but other people have said it looks right.

I will take that as good feedback.
    All we can do is what we can afford or have the tools and facilities for! No judgement here. I have painted several vehicles in my garage, barns, out in the open air. The finish product is all that matters! Not how you got there! Hell I have seen some cars come out of some of the best booths $$ can buy and they look terrible since they don't spend the money on filters and the time to clean the booth. One of the slickest (non cut/buffed) black paint jobs I ever saw, my buddy's dad painted it outside in the grass on an early morning!

As I have mentioned many times, unless you show your cars indoors, the look outside in Sunlight is all that matters. Florescent lights are very forgiving to paint issues, but they do not translate color very well unless they are color corrected bulbs. Metal Halide lights show every D#mn imperfection in every paint job. Great for finding your mistakes, but can be very disheartening otherwise! Guess what I have/had in my shop!

The paint appears to match pretty well in the pictures and no matter what looks much better than running around with a front bumper in primer or another color!

Don't know if this is the correct shade of tan, but its a start. http://www.tooltopia.com/3m-automoti...waAgq-EALw_wcB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I wouldn't concentrate too hard on a "matching" stripe. Especially considering all the fading that what is there has likely done over the decades. What I did on mine was pull the new stripe back to the wheel wells. That is the perfect break in it and as long as it is somewhat near, nobody will ever notice because there is such a separation between the wheels and the next molding. I did that in the front and back. I just applied the new stripe on the short body molding pieces and it looked fine. If I pointed it out to you, you could see the slight difference in shade but if nobody mentioned it, you would just look at the car and then move on.
    Looks great in the pictures to me. It's an improvement for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    All we can do is what we can afford or have the tools and facilities for! No judgement here. I have painted several vehicles in my garage, barns, out in the open air. The finish product is all that matters! Not how you got there! Hell I have seen some cars come out of some of the best booths $$ can buy and they look terrible since they don't spend the money on filters and the time to clean the booth. One of the slickest (non cut/buffed) black paint jobs I ever saw, my buddy's dad painted it outside in the grass on an early morning!

As I have mentioned many times, unless you show your cars indoors, the look outside in Sunlight is all that matters. Florescent lights are very forgiving to paint issues, but they do not translate color very well unless they are color corrected bulbs. Metal Halide lights show every D#mn imperfection in every paint job. Great for finding your mistakes, but can be very disheartening otherwise! Guess what I have/had in my shop!

The paint appears to match pretty well in the pictures and no matter what looks much better than running around with a front bumper in primer or another color!

Don't know if this is the correct shade of tan, but its a start. http://www.tooltopia.com/3m-automoti...waAgq-EALw_wcB
    That should work. I will hit the auto body supply store today and see if they have it. If not, I will get it ordered.

I agree on the paint being better than the primered or different colored bumper. It made such a huge difference in the look of the car that I couldn't help but to let it sit in the sun yesterday and admire it. I took more pics of it yesterday than I have all year. I actually enjoyed looking at it again.

Now.......if I could only find some tan or black seat covers to throw on the 91 sport seats that were fairly cheap and fit well. The grey just isn't doing it for me and I can't afford to reupholster them in the correct color right now.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I wouldn't concentrate too hard on a "matching" stripe. Especially considering all the fading that what is there has likely done over the decades. What I did on mine was pull the new stripe back to the wheel wells. That is the perfect break in it and as long as it is somewhat near, nobody will ever notice because there is such a separation between the wheels and the next molding. I did that in the front and back. I just applied the new stripe on the short body molding pieces and it looked fine. If I pointed it out to you, you could see the slight difference in shade but if nobody mentioned it, you would just look at the car and then move on.
    Looks great in the pictures to me. It's an improvement for sure.
    Thanks! It makes me enjoy looking at it again. The grey was kind of depressing.

Good point and advice on the pinstripe. I hadn't thought about it fading making a perfect match probably impossible. I also didn't think about redoing the stripes all the way back to the front tires. Advice noted and will be followed.
    Brock

Now.......if I could only find some tan or black seat covers to throw on the 91 sport seats that were fairly cheap and fit well. The grey just isn't doing it for me and I can't afford to reupholster them in the correct color right now.
    Here you go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1993-Fo...ZT8bLW&vxp=mtr

Name:  Seat covers.jpg
Size:  38.8 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I wish those covers didn't have the pony on top, but they just might work and bound to be better than the grey seats now.
    Brock

Great job so far Brock! Next time call me - I have the spring compressor you needed. Also the trick to use with a balljoint press to get them in.

Great thinking on the bushings. Mine were a total pain, but nothing compares to how big of a pain the bolts were on the passenger front. (And oblonged K member bolt holes my dad helped me repair- arg)

I am curious where you are at now on ride height in front. I'm running thicker caster/camber plates and stock spring but X2 balljoints. Looks wise it appears we are within 1/2" of being the same.

Your car is shaping up nicely. Let me know if you want a hand with the last minute thrash before the show.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Great job so far Brock! Next time call me - I have the spring compressor you needed. Also the trick to use with a balljoint press to get them in.

Great thinking on the bushings. Mine were a total pain, but nothing compares to how big of a pain the bolts were on the passenger front. (And oblonged K member bolt holes my dad helped me repair- arg)

I am curious where you are at now on ride height in front. I'm running thicker caster/camber plates and stock spring but X2 balljoints. Looks wise it appears we are within 1/2" of being the same.

Your car is shaping up nicely. Let me know if you want a hand with the last minute thrash before the show.
    DOH! Sorry....I forget you live here, it's not intentional.
    Just got used to flying solo.

I took measurements from the ground to fender yesterday, but I don't recall what they were. I will have to double check that and post them later this evening. I know it dropped it considerably but ride wise it feels great.

Thanks! I'm hoping I'm pretty much done with the heavy lifting until after the show, as long as the throw-out bearing doesn't make any additional noises.
    Brock

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast