Close

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Glad to hear you made it home OK. Brock represented us well at the car show. One of only two four eyes there. Did you ever get a chance to speak with the guy that had the '86?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 notchback View Post
    Glad to hear you made it home OK. Brock represented us well at the car show. One of only two four eyes there. Did you ever get a chance to speak with the guy that had the '86?
    Thanks for the compliment! I try to at least make a decent showing with what I have to make the 4-eye guys proud.

Never did find the owner. That was a nice looking ride even if it was an automatic.

On the flip side, the owner of the black "thing" did find me and we chatted for a bit. Never found out why the car was done that way but I'm sure they had their reasons. To each their own........
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Bravo for driving the "old car", Brock
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby1 View Post
    Car looks great! Keep it up!
    Thanks guys. A day, a dollar spent and a mile at a time is all I can ask for. I wish I could do more to her quicker than this but I'm going to try and enjoy every moment I can. One day I will be a bit less worried about hopping in and driving the wheels off of it.
    Brock

We probably all wish that, lol! Enjoyment is #1, I think. I'm not done fiddling with precisely how much timing's administered, or how much fuel is metered with my much happier carburetor-equipped jalopy, but I'm so very much enjoying how much better it is working already. It's nice to see you making a very good showing for us all in what I think of as the Beige Beauty on FEP
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

After all the shows I have put her in this year, I have finally won an award! While it is a plaque for placing in the Top 75, it is a victory in my mind. 200 or so cars were in attendance and some nicer than mine didn't place. The unexpected award made this guys weekend and I felt like a kid at Christmas.

Name:  IMG_2537.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  152.3 KBName:  plaque.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  96.6 KB
    Brock

Congrats buddy

Way to go Brock. Way to win one for the four eyes.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Haven't been up to much lately but I have finally got the mesh wheels done and installed on the GT.

Name:  mesh at show.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  113.0 KB

There is nothing really note worthy about these wheels besides what a ROYAL PITA they are to prep, prime and paint. Trying to get a uniform coat of paint on them is work. The inner parts of the lace are the hardest parts to get color into, without putting so much on the outer faces and causing major runs. Finally after about 8 coats of light paint, they came out pretty uniform. If I had to do it again, I would send them out to a media blaster to get all the old paint off instead of doing it by hand.

I'm happy with the outcome and time to move on to other adventures.
    Brock

Well the season ended early for this guy and his car. The front suspension decided to "die" on me which has caused the front end to feel like you are doing the Hokey Pokey with the tires. I moved it to her final resting place for the season, so time to devise a plan and get the meaningful work and updates coming. I have a lot that needs to be done and just as much that I want to get done but budget is always a concern. Hopefully in the next couple days, I will be heading down a clear path.

Name:  1007161904.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  119.4 KB
    Brock

The wheels look real sharp, nice job on them and that's great you'll be in out of the weather with it! It's a crappy, wet, cold turkey day here today, so some things I want to do are waiting, lol
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

The wheels look real sharp, nice job on them and that's great you'll be in out of the weather with it! It's a crappy, wet, cold turkey day here today, so some things I want to do are waiting, lol
    That is true on being out of the elements but let me tell ya it gets tight as hell in there when you start taking things off and figuring out where to put them. The wife says absolutely not will I overflow into her side of the garage this year. Looks like I'm gonna have to rent a storage unit or something this winter as I need to put the stuff somewhere.

Have a Happy Turkey Day bud! Too bad it's cold and wet up there. It is down here also where I'm at.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    The wife says absolutely not will I overflow into her side of the garage this year. Looks like I'm gonna have to rent a storage unit or something this winter as I need to put the stuff somewhere.
    You can't find space inside the house?

How did you get it up those ramps, with them being opposed like that?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    You can't find space inside the house?
    How did you get it up those ramps, with them being opposed like that?
    Inside the house is a no-go......the wife is picky sometimes. I might get lucky and get her side of the garage for overflow this winter, but I'm afraid it will come at a hefty price.

As for getting the car up on the opposed ramps......I guess I let the cat out of the bag and should be honest.

I called this company and had the conversion done.
    Name:  fc,220x200,cranberry.u1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  43.9 KB

Could be why the front tires want to fall off of it now.
    Brock

Since I'm in a slight holding pattern on the front suspension due to I might be scoring some nice stuff for relatively cheap here soon. I decided to start at the back and move forward. Started stripping the car out in preparation to do the bodywork on the P/S rear quarter and some in the rear hatch area. Got the rear interior pulled out, hatch off, bumper and cover off and did some looking around. Thankfully, this part of the car appears to be fairly clean and should be a fairly easy resto, assuming I don't screw up the quarter panel any worse when I try to fix it. With the panels and bumper off, it makes the quarter look like less of a challenge and something that I should be able to do. I was afraid that the taillight panel was tweaked and there was deeper damage to the car as the tail light on that side didn't fit as nice as the D/S, but it seems to be straight and not affected by the love bump.

Name:  1011161830.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  125.1 KBName:  DSC00586.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  174.2 KBName:  DSC00587.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  160.5 KBName:  DSC00589.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  137.5 KBName:  DSC00601.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  154.3 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-12-2016 at 08:57 AM.
    Brock

There were the areas at the top of the hatch area that were sealed and beginning to show crusty flaky rust popping up below the seam sealer. The pictures don't really show it well as compared to the naked eye, but it has worrisome for awhile.

Name:  DSC00608.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  103.4 KBName:  DSC00612.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  109.0 KB

I removed the seam sealer from the area and was relieved to not see any holes in the areas. The D/S has a spot of rust/pitting about the size of a dime. The P/S was rusted/pitted underneath most of the seam sealer but no holes. These pics are of the P/S after removing the sealer. The D/S was not really worthy of taking any photos at the time.

Name:  DSC00613.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  114.1 KBName:  DSC00614.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  126.6 KB

I believe I can prep these areas, neutralize the rust, prime, seam seal and repaint these areas and be good as new.
    Brock

Glad to see and read that things aren't as bad as you had thought. Looks like it is well on its way back to looking perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Lookin' good, and nice access for the repairs now
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Glad to see and read that things aren't as bad as you had thought. Looks like it is well on its way back to looking perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Bill. That portion of the episode will probably come when I get up by the sunroof. Hopefully I can get the rest of the interior out today and tomorrow and give it a solid look over to see if I need to alter my flight pattern.
    Brock

Lookin' good, and nice access for the repairs now
    Getting the extra parts out of the way will make a huge difference. Now I still need to drop the gas tank and remove the filler neck box and I should have about an acre worth of room to work on the rear quarter. For some reason, I'm no longer intimidated by this repair.

I got lucky and the wife said I could use her side of the garage for parts storage until I am done, even if it takes till spring. I'm sure there is a catch, besides keeping the mess neat, and will come at a hefty price once the snow starts flying. At least I have a place to take it apart and keep things at the house now.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-12-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    Brock

Great progress Brock!!! love seeing this much care to the car!

p.s. glad the wife agreed to let you have some space

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Great progress Brock!!! love seeing this much care to the car!

p.s. glad the wife agreed to let you have some space
    Thanks buddy! I'm hoping by spring this car is looking, running, driving good and sealed up from the elements to where I feel comfortable taking it on some long road trips without worrying about getting it wet and accelerating any decay or leaving me stranded.

I need to bring it out for a visit.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84stangsvt View Post
    thanks buddy! I'm hoping by spring this car is looking, running, driving good and sealed up from the elements to where i feel comfortable taking it on some long road trips without worrying about getting it wet and accelerating any decay or leaving me stranded.

I need to bring it out for a visit. :d
    ya you do!!

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    There were the areas at the top of the hatch area that were sealed and beginning to show crusty flaky rust popping up below the seam sealer. The pictures don't really show it well as compared to the naked eye, but it has worrisome for awhile.

Name:  DSC00608.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  103.4 KBName:  DSC00612.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  109.0 KB

I removed the seam sealer from the area and was relieved to not see any holes in the areas. The D/S has a spot of rust/pitting about the size of a dime. The P/S was rusted/pitted underneath most of the seam sealer but no holes. These pics are of the P/S after removing the sealer. The D/S was not really worthy of taking any photos at the time.

Name:  DSC00613.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  114.1 KBName:  DSC00614.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  126.6 KB

I believe I can prep these areas, neutralize the rust, prime, seam seal and repaint these areas and be good as new.
    Does anyone have a link to some good seam sealer and maybe an application tutorial. I'll be doing this to mine at some point.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Does anyone have a link to some good seam sealer and maybe an application tutorial. I'll be doing this to mine at some point.
    Here is what the paint shop recommended I use for outside areas of the car.
    Name:  1476307402688-1524856804.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  99.2 KB
    They didn't recommend it for use inside the car as it is solvent based and would carry an odor for awhile. For,the interior they recommended either a 2 part or moisture cure product that is virtually odor free. I used this stuff under the car in spots and it is just like caulking anything else. Make sure the surface is prepped, clean, free of dirt or oil/grease, prime, apply, spread, and tool if needed. Sand it down if needed for appearance and then paint. Easy to work in all honesty. The 3M automotive collision site has tons of application info.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-12-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Brock

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast