Close

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Well happy late birthday, your celebrations sound a lot like the ones I have haha.

Seems like a lot of foxes have the hood fly up on them. Of all the ones my family has had, it only happened to my sister's car because dad didn't close the hood good enough after a service. Her catch didn't work because the car had been hit in the front before and so there went the hood and cowl. Just happened to a friend of mine here earlier this year and he said there is evidence that his car has been in a front end collision before. I'm thinking about putting some type of safety cable on mine just to make sure it never happens to me.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

After my birthday catastrophe, my wife insisted that I take Sunday as a "ME" day and spend some time doing what I want. What a great girl!
    I immediately ran down to the garage, opened the door, put on some tunes and the fan and got to work. 9:30 am and it is already 86 and humid......yep, it's going to be miserable later!

Started cleaning the replacement back seats and plastic items that I got. I tried a new carpet/upholstery cleaner (Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out) and all in all, I was pretty happy with it as it powered out most of the crud, left it smelling pretty good and it was fairly cheap at $4 a can. It worked better than most manual foam carpet cleaner.

I cleaned up and treated the plastic parts with Meguiers cleaner and protectant and got to work on removing the P/S quarter plastic and rear seat. Cleaned up and vacuumed the rear area of the car and got the P/S quarter plastic and seat installed.

Name:  old ps quarter plastic.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  102.7 KB
    Name:  ps quarter plastic comp 1.JPG
Views: 569
Size:  138.2 KB
    Name:  ps quarter plastic comp 2.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  127.8 KB
    Name:  new ps quarter plastic.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  190.7 KB

By this time it was smoking hot and humid......
    Name:  106 temp.PNG
Views: 564
Size:  189.1 KB
    After being in and out of it all day, I decided it was time to piddle around in the garage and kick back with a couple of cold ones and relax in front of the fan. I had every intention of getting the D/S done also but after being in the sun for a good part of the afternoon, I decided it can wait till later.

It was a good day! LOL!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Looks like you got some nice interior panels to go along with the car. Amazing what changing out a few panels will do for the interior.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Well happy late birthday, your celebrations sound a lot like the ones I have haha.

Seems like a lot of foxes have the hood fly up on them. Of all the ones my family has had, it only happened to my sister's car because dad didn't close the hood good enough after a service. Her catch didn't work because the car had been hit in the front before and so there went the hood and cowl. Just happened to a friend of mine here earlier this year and he said there is evidence that his car has been in a front end collision before. I'm thinking about putting some type of safety cable on mine just to make sure it never happens to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    NOooooooo...that would of been tragic, so glad the 2nd latch held........

Edit: Happy Birthday.
    Thanks guys! I am also still in the process of adding a redundant safety system, strongly considering some form of cable if I can do it in a fashion that does not look too far out of place. I'm still a bit nervous now even though I got the latch mechanism working smoothly.
    Brock

Looks like you got some nice interior panels to go along with the car. Amazing what changing out a few panels will do for the interior.
    I scored big with these panels and all of the other items I got with them! While the pictures do help them out just a little bit compared to bare eyeball, these things are really in good shape, uncut and no major chalking or other damage. The p/s panel has just a bit of chalking right where the quarter window is but I think as long as I use a good protectant on them, it should stop any further damage.

Either way, I will not miss those monster speakers hanging in the hatch area!
    Brock

What did you use to lube the latch on the hood? In regards to the bumper swap...I'd put the fog light bumper on the tan car. I never understood why ford got rid of those fog lights in the first place? The fog bumper just looks so much better, and you can always swap back if you ever want 100% original. My guess is that day will never come.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    What did you use to lube the latch on the hood? In regards to the bumper swap...I'd put the fog light bumper on the tan car. I never understood why ford got rid of those fog lights in the first place? The fog bumper just looks so much better, and you can always swap back if you ever want 100% original. My guess is that day will never come.
    This is what I use quite a bit at work so I used it as it goes on in a liquid form then dries up and leaves a long lasting teflon coating for lubrication and rust prevention. Have had a lot of good luck with it on just about everything that needs preventative lubrication. While it is not much good for already seized parts, as this stuff is not a penetrating oil, that is what PB Blaster is for.

Name:  036121191570lg.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  29.6 KB

I'm pretty sure that over the winter, the 84 1/2 bumper will make it on the car.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-13-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Brock

Happy belated bday buddy! Mines coming up Wednesday. ..

Them panels look great I can't wait to see when all done...

I get sidetracked pretty easy and yesterday was a prime example of such actions. I had every intention of finishing the quarter plastics and rear seats but after spending an hour at the gym with my youngest son doing lower body exercises in preparation for his upcoming football season, I didn't really think that if I got into the hatch area of the car that I would ever be able to get back out. He will be 13 in a couple weeks and strong as an ox and I'm 36 and about as dumb as an ox so mentally I can't let him beat me in the gym......yesterday I should have let him win in the squat rack. 13 years old and he's already able to do 3 sets of 10 at 245# my stick legs hate me today! LOL!

Since I was tired after working out, I looked at the car and tryed to figure out what it was about the 3 piece spoiler that just seems to bug me about it at certain angles. More so on the drivers side than the passengers side.

Name:  ps hatch 2.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  165.0 KB
    Name:  ps hatch1.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  206.8 KB
    Name:  ds hatch1.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  194.5 KB
    Name:  ds hatch2.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  145.6 KB

Upon looking at it and conversing with Travis T, it became obvious really quick, especially looking at the last picture that the hatch is hanging/pushed over to far on the drivers side. I think tonight I will try Travis's suggestions and see if I can get the hatch moved closer to its proper position......that is if I keep my competitiveness at the gym to a minimum as it is upper body day today.
    Brock

I was thinking about it last night too and it may be that the striker is moved over a little. There is some play in the hinges (at least after years of wear) and that could be pushing it over. Just another thought.

When I looked at the hinge bolts that you told me about, it doesn't appear that they have shifted so I will definitely check the mechanism and the striker bolt also.
    Brock

Looking at the pictures you took dead on from the rear it looks pretty centered over the taillights but from the side shots it definitely looks shifted.

Oh and I was wrong about the front bumper. You should definitely swap it. Then buy another one for the convertible!

Thanks for the suggestion to check the striker Travis, it was the issue. Granted I need a striker bushing, new hinges due to slop and weatherstripping, I was able to get it almost perfect by a striker adjustment. You're the man LOL!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  102.6 KB
Views: 531
Size:  82.3 KB
Views: 532
Size:  99.3 KB
    Brock

That looks mo better!

Oh and I was wrong about the front bumper. You should definitely swap it. Then buy another one for the convertible!
    LOL, I got lucky finding the front bumper in the first place and at a damn good price. Had it not have been for another one of our members that was going to put it on his 80 notch and then decided to keep his original nose, I would still be searching for one.

Today, I will be taking the car to a couple of body shops around town and see what it will cost to get the wrinkle out of the passenger side quarter and check the spot by the sunroof
    I'm not sure that I would be good enough or confident enough to repair or replace those spots myself.

Name:  sunroofrust.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  95.7 KB
    Name:  psquarterdent.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  105.3 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-16-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    Brock

The GT is really coming along and looking good!

Happy Belated Birthday too! Sorry your's sounds a lot like my last several too.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The GT is really coming along and looking good!

Happy Belated Birthday too! Sorry your's sounds a lot like my last several too.

Trey
    Thanks Trey!
    Brock

Looks really good. I like the color combo on the GT.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Looks good, great job getting right to it and staying with it

Haven't had a bunch of time lately, due to work and rainy weather, but I did find some time yesterday to work on the car.

Figured I would continue swapping the plastics and rear seats out and maybe get it situated to replace the main carpet while I was at it.
    NOPE! One thing led to another and I have uncovered some issues that need to be addressed before I continue moving forward.
    While I was pulling the D/S rear plastic, I noticed the D/S rear carpet and floorpan was wet. It had rained pretty good Saturday night so it was obvious something is leaking. While I did not get a picture of it, but I will tonight, it appears the D/S quarter window is leaking as the dirt behind the quarter panel shows where the water is running down. Definitely needs fixed before I put the stuff back in as it would not make sense to cover the issue up and create more issues down the road.

I also noticed a water spot on the headliner near the sunroof. I pulled the headliner out and there was considerable rust chunks falling in my face. The areas around the sunroof are beginning to show signs of rust, but I did not see anything that looked like it was showing big areas of flaky rust unless it is coming from the actual internal sunroof frame.
    Name:  front sunroof interior rust.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  137.5 KB
    Name:  rear sunroof interior rust.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  110.6 KB

The water spot on the headliner seemed to be in the general area of the spot on top where the filler was popping up so I decided to investigate a bit further.
    Name:  sunroofrust.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  95.7 KB

Carefully popped of the flaking filler and what I found was less than desirable, that spot has a rust through beginning to happen.
    Name:  sunroof rust spot.JPG
Views: 462
Size:  83.1 KB
    Brock

Oh no. I hope you don't find much else when you pop more filler off, but it looks like I see a slight bubble in the paint to the left in that picture. If your sunroof drains are all clear, if the handle attachment to the glass is in good shape and if the front hinge pockets are sealed to the body, there isn't anything else that can leak on the sunroof. If you check the drains, when you pour water in the drain line it should drain out behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels.
    Last edited by Travis T; 07-27-2015 at 11:24 AM.

While I don't know what step to take to permanently fix this......I knew something has to be done NOW to at least make an attempt to cover and seal this area up and hopefully slow the deterioration down until I can find the answer and money to properly fix it.

Right or wrong, I went to the McParts store and got some rust converter and bondo.
    I took my dremel tool with wire brushes and cleaned up the spot the best I could and then used a little rust converter on it to hopefully slow it down. I then did a rough in with bondo to cover it back up and started sanding it back down.
    Name:  rough sunroof patch.JPG
Size:  84.5 KB
    I think tonight I should be able to finish sanding and get a little primer and some sort of paint on it to help seal it and maybe it will last until the proper repair can be made. The paint may not be the same color as the car but I am willing to paint the spot neon green if I have to just to seal it.

Since this day became kind of depressing quick, I felt I had to do one thing to make the car better that was not going to throw a curveball at me. After careful consideration, I decided to paint the center caps for the wheels LOL! They gave me no issues and look pretty decent now for a driver.
    Name:  unpainted center caps.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  164.8 KB
    Name:  painted center caps.JPG
Size:  207.6 KB
    Brock

Oh no. I hope you don't find much else when you pop more filler off, but it looks like I see a slight bubble in the paint to the left in that picture. If your sunroof drains are all clear, if the handle attachment to the glass is in good shape and if the front hinge pockets are sealed to the body, there isn't anything else that can leak on the sunroof. If you check the drains, when you pour water in the drain line it should drain out behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels.
    I did check to make sure that the drains were clear. I'm going to have someone put a water hose on it tonight while I am in the car and see if I can find any leaks around the area, hopefully the area is tight now and this is just some pre-existing damage from a time past. If I have no leaks on the sunroof then I think it would be safe to say I could clean up the existing rust and convert/encapsulate to stop any more spread.......I hope.
    Brock

While you have the headliner out, definitely reseal those hinge pockets in the front. They have some sort of foam gasket on them that gets brittle and falls apart. They will leak at some point and it's easier to fix them without a headliner in the car. I just used black RTV on mine, something more appropriate to bodywork may be better.

While you have the headliner out, definitely reseal those hinge pockets in the front. They have some sort of foam gasket on them that gets brittle and falls apart. They will leak at some point and it's easier to fix them without a headliner in the car. I just used black RTV on mine, something more appropriate to bodywork may be better.
    I will check that and I will probably just use a silicone type sealant also as I have it around the house already if they leak. If I didn't have the vert torn down and spending money on it, I would probably take this one down further right now and do it all at once. Oh well, one at a time but I can keep this one from getting any worse till it is it's time. Some action is better than none!
    Brock

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast