Close

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Default My 1984 GT Refurbish/Upgrade Thread

I figured I might as well start a thread on my "new" 1984 GT as eventually repairs and upgrades will be coming for it and I know at least one member here will like staying informed on what is happening to one of his previous babies.

I will start off by saying that I am proud to own this car and in a bit of a selfish way, I'm really glad that it didn't sell even though it was posted for quite some time. Fidel had plenty of chances to sell it but in his own rights, he held onto it for quite some time as he wanted it to go to a good home and most of the people before me that looked at it wanted to rag it out or he felt that they would not give her the attention it needs.

This car is going to be a driving project for the time being as I don't feel that this car needs to be a teardown project as it is really in pretty good shape and does not have the rust issues that my convertible has. I plan on updating things as I go and still enjoy the car as a nice weather summer driver and leave the larger upgrades for the winter months as this car does not need to see Nebraska road salt.

Lets start off with a couple pictures from the day I got her. Here she is, loaded up and ready to move from Colorado to her new home in Nebraska!

Name:  coming home 2.jpg
Views: 2434
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  coming home 1.jpg
Views: 2439
Size:  66.4 KB
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

After an 8 hour overnight drive and a couple hour nap, I was ready to get it off of the trailer and start checking it out. Took it for a couple block drive and it ran great! Decided I need to start doing some minor little touch ups to it and get the ball rolling, plus it was time for the GT hatchback to meet its LX convertible sister LOL.

Name:  Iphone 481.jpg
Views: 2341
Size:  161.1 KB
    Brock

First call of order was I really had to get rid of the mismatched taillights! That really bugged me so I got the set that I refurbished for the convertible and stuck them in there. The side that had the aero taillight in there needed a little massaging as the correct taillight didn't quite seal to my liking. All in all, I am happy with the "new" tailights for now and in all honesty, they are pretty dang bright as you will see in the pictures. If you ever repaint your buckets, make sure to use a high metallic aluminum paint as it seems to make a huge difference even with old lenses.

Name:  Iphone 500.jpg
Views: 2332
Size:  136.0 KB

Brake lights during the daylight
    Name:  Iphone 484.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  143.0 KB

Taillights at early dawn
    Name:  Iphone 554.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  97.9 KB
    Brock

Seeing yours makes me wish mine had the three piece rear spoiler. Good to see you're finally getting to drive it!
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

During the taillight change, I realized that something has to be done about the hatch struts! Dumb@ss me didn't think about using vice grips or something to the likeness to hold the hatch up and instead used a broom handle and soon found out that is not a brilliant idea as the hatch weighs more than a guy would like when it comes crashing down on you......especially a couple times. With the events that took place that day and the fact this car is a funky 80's tan color, the car got the name PACMAN! While I was changing the hatch struts, I decided to clean up the hatch carpet, that I got from another member here out of the kindness of his heart, and get it installed to replace the sun faded carpet that was in there. What a huge difference!

Old
    Name:  Iphone 535.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  145.5 KB
    New
    Name:  Iphone 534.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  141.6 KB
    Brock

Got done tinkering with it and figured I would take it out for a spin and put a few miles on it. My being a teenager in mind caused me to get on it a few times and put the rubber down. After a couple times of spirited acceleration, something was wrong as I could no longer get the car to shift and hold in 2nd, 4th or reverse. WTH? That's weird as heck as 1st, 3rd and 5th engage and hold fine, it's just the "bottom" gears.

Got underneath the car and it became obvious really quick what had happened. Not sure who, what, when, where or why this was ever done but the pictures will explain the issue much better than I can .

Name:  Iphone 485.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  Iphone 489.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  130.8 KB
    Name:  Iphone 490.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  108.6 KB
    Name:  Iphone 491.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  119.7 KB

YEAH.......that's not going to work as the transmission had dropped a good 4" and the only thing holding the drivetrain was the motor mounts!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-08-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    Brock

Never fear though! The same member that hooked me up with the carpet had a proper doublehump crossmember laying around and got it to me extremely quick. I thank him to no end!

Be advised, these next few pictures are pretty gruesome of the crossmember out of the car.

Name:  Iphone 538.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  191.7 KB
    Name:  Iphone 539.jpg
Views: 2277
Size:  162.9 KB
    Name:  Iphone 541.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  158.0 KB

Got the proper crossmember in and the car no longer vibrates like heck and shifting is now flawless!
    Brock

After the crossmember was put in, I was excited to see how she was going to react with the drivetrain in the proper position. Hopped in it, hit the key and NOTHING! It would crank all day but wouldn't fire.....NOW WHAT! After digging around and with some suggestions, I found the problem. The insulation on the Duraspark wiring had gotten brittle and fell off causing the system to ground out.

Name:  duraspark connector.JPG
Views: 2241
Size:  109.3 KB

For a temporary fix, I wrapped each wire in electrical tape and then wrapped the bundle to hopefully prevent any more issues until winter when I can take the time to start rewiring the engine bay.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Seeing yours makes me wish mine had the three piece rear spoiler. Good to see you're finally getting to drive it!
    The one thing I can say about the 3 piece spoiler is it definitely gives the hatch a little bit of overbite. Certain angles it looks pretty good and then other angles it looks out of place and kind of an afterthought. I do like it for the most part and it does look a hell of a lot better than a whaletail like I have on the vert though.

The aero tailight filled the void better as they are a bit bigger and it kind of matched up with the body lines but the 4 eye tailights just look so right!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-08-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    Brock

FEP Supporter

Well, that is quite the modification to the cross member. I'm surprised someone would think that method would be acceptable. All they did was create an accordion that flexes.

Congrats on the new to you car! I'm glad (and I know Fidel is too!) the car is in good hands!
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

One thing I have been thinking about hard the past week or so is what I want to do with the front. I'm strongly contemplating taking the 84 1/2 GT nose and accessories back off of the vert and installing them on the GT.......I mean it is a true GT and I think it is more deserving of it than the LX vert. I still have the original nose for the vert so that would not be a problem, I would just have to repair the fenders as I have already drilled the holes for the extensions.

Thoughts and feelings about this move guys?

Here is the nose and I do have the foglight bar and a set of Marchals that have not been installed yet. Obviously it is the wrong color and it will need some bodywork but that can be corrected.

Name:  Iphone 466.jpg
Size:  132.4 KB
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-08-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Well, that is quite the modification to the cross member. I'm surprised someone would think that method would be acceptable. All they did was create an accordion that flexes.

Congrats on the new to you car! I'm glad (and I know Fidel is too!) the car is in good hands!
    That's the same thing everyone that saw it said and usually the conversation started with WTF? Fidel felt bad when I sent him the pics and apologized as he never realized that was like that or he would have taken care of it before hand. He did also help hook me up with the new crossmember and I thank him for that too. He's a great guy to deal with and I consider him a friend.

As for the crossmember, I understand what they were trying to achieve but at a bare minimum, why would you not brace the splits to give it a little structure if you were not going to replace it with the right part to begin with?
    Brock

That crossmember should go on the wall of shame.

In a weird way, I'm not sure if I'd bumper swap the GT or not. Mine isn't as rare as yours, it is just a common old black GT and already had the one piece rear spoiler so I thought it looked extra goofy as it was. Then again, that GT bumper just looks so much better than the standard cover. Not like it's hard to change back to stock so if you want to, why not? Guess it all depends on what you are going to do to the convertible now.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    One thing I have been thinking about hard the past week or so is what I want to do with the front. I'm strongly contemplating taking the 84 1/2 GT nose and accessories back off of the vert and installing them on the GT.......I mean it is a true GT and I think it is more deserving of it than the LX vert. I still have the original nose for the vert so that would not be a problem, I would just have to repair the fenders as I have already drilled the holes for the extensions.

Thoughts and feelings about this move guys?

Here is the nose and I do have the foglight bar and a set of Marchals that have not been installed yet. Obviously it is the wrong color and it will need some bodywork but that can be corrected.

Name:  Iphone 466.jpg
Size:  132.4 KB
    I'd say definitely put it in the GT. It really completes the package
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Hey buddy! ! Great thread, again glad it went to someone that cares as much as I do about the cars. I think we all do!! The carpet in the hatch looks amazing cant wait to see the rest of that interior "freshened up"... taillights look good both correct! And yup boy oh boy that trans member is another story!!! I also agree the car would look good with that bumper! Its a tough choice we all face with these original cars to mod or not to mod.. but again its something that's not un reverseable, but most will be in favor! Maybe someday we can see a marti on this car, that would be cool!!

Again thanks for everything and I truly do miss this car already with all the pics ive seen. Glad you enjoy her hopefully for many years to come and cant wait to see the progress of this car!

Congrats on the new car.

Mike1157

I like the tan. Color that you don't see everyday. Congrats on the purchase.

Its a Gilla Cilla, um color.

Donchathink?

In a weird way, I'm not sure if I'd bumper swap the GT or not. Mine isn't as rare as yours, it is just a common old black GT and already had the one piece rear spoiler so I thought it looked extra goofy as it was. Then again, that GT bumper just looks so much better than the standard cover. Not like it's hard to change back to stock so if you want to, why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    I'd say definitely put it in the GT. It really completes the package
    Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    I also agree the car would look good with that bumper! Its a tough choice we all face with these original cars to mod or not to mod.. but again its something that's not un reverseable, but most will be in favor!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. It is tough choice as both of the cars are unique in their own way. As far as originality goes, honestly the convertible is far more original than the GT, hell it still has the date coded plug wires, hoses, belts, exhaust and even has the stock am/fm radio. The only thing that I found that had been changed on it was the ignition module where the GT has been modded already with the emissions delete, dual exhaust conversion and so forth. I feel that out of both of the cars, the convertible would be a prime candidate for a restoration back to it's original form where the GT would be a nice restomod even though it is much rarer than the convertible is.

Dilemmas!
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Maybe someday we can see a marti on this car, that would be cool!!
    A deluxe Marti report is currently in the works.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    I like the tan. Color that you don't see everyday. Congrats on the purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Its a Gilla Cilla, um color.

Donchathink?
    Thanks Mike, my wife hates the color which makes it all the better. I like it because it is different, cars these days just seem to be the same colors.

X, if I read your post correctly, then yes....it kind of is LOL!
    Brock

Well it is day 3 of driving the car back and forth to work as well as running around town after work, I have successfully put 100 trouble free miles on it this week until a scary incident this am on the way into work. Cruising down the interstate at an estimated 70 mph, (speedometer does not work yet) I got close to the exit for work, hit a bump that I really wish they would fix and the hood bounced up. I'm guessing the bump jarred the latch enough that it released the hood. Luckily, the safety latch held and I was able to get off of the side of the road and re-latch the hood down without the hood slamming into the windshield and cowl.

Is this a common issue with these cars? It seems that a lot of people have had this happen.

I'm going to devise a way to make a redundant safety system on the underside of the hood to hopefully prevent a catastrophe in the future if it ever happens again. I do not want to run hood pins as they really don't appeal to me so I will figure something else out.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I'm guessing the bump jarred the latch enough that it released the hood. Luckily, the safety latch held and I was able to get off of the side of the road and re-latch the hood down without the hood slamming into the windshield and cowl.

I'm going to devise a way to make a redundant safety system on the underside of the hood to hopefully prevent a catastrophe in the future if it ever happens again. I do not want to run hood pins as they really don't appeal to me so I will figure something else out.
    Well, after further research, it seems that I may have found my answer. The main mechanism was dry and not actuating very well so I spent some time and made sure everything was cleaned up and I lubricated the mechanism and cable really well and now the mechanism operates smooth as silk. I guess time will tell if this is all she needed.
    Brock

Saturday was my birthday, turned 36 , and I had every intention of spending some quality time with the car for my birthday present. Well that didn't happen as I ended up spending the day working on my oldest boys 07 Focus. Spent what seemed like an eternity and a fortune on his car but it was really needed as his safety is more important than my piddling around with my car. Got new tires put on the Focus and brought it back home and did a complete brake job on it, it's amazing how good the car drives and stops now....It doesn't feel like its going to shake itself apart any more. By the time I got done with that, doing some more running around, getting called into work as my night tech is a "genius" sometimes and finally getting back home, the day was pretty well shot and I didn't really get much done besides some little garage time cleaning up some mess and having a few birthday beers. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! LOL!
    Brock

NOooooooo...that would of been tragic, so glad the 2nd latch held........

Edit: Happy Birthday.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast