Close

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    My wife wonders why I don't repair the light in the attic over the garage so you can see good up there. If she only knew.......
    HAHA! Mine wonders why I never clean the garage and why there are always boxes being moved around. It's hell playing musical boxes to cover up the new ones.

Nice score! I have an identical set. Mine are all black centers though. I don't honestly recall but I am pretty sure I paid more than twice that price! Have those been machined on the edge or was that an option back in the day? Doesn't matter, just curious. That is a terrific price any way you slice it.
    I'm not sure if the machined "lace faces" is factory or an option, but it adds a neat contrast to them IMHO. I might be able to make these work nicely without changing them up. I thought it was a smoking deal as I'm sure the guy had them for sale before at WAY more than this.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

My wife wonders why there is only one key to the garage.......
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

You guys are sure making me feel better!
    Brock

She can't complain too much, almost all my extra parts are gone now. The extra wheels are earmarked for some autocross tires when the day comes.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Yeah. I might be selling a chunk of them as I'm really pondering going a different direction.

Name:  IMG_1832.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  164.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1833.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  150.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1834.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  147.4 KB

Forgive the aluminum tape pieces, they were the best thing I could use for mock up purposes. Didn't want it permanent or drill any holes in it.

If I decide to go this way, the 84 1/2 nose, foglight bar, Marchals, fender extensions and other assorted pieces will be sold.
    Brock

I think this is more of a "CUSTOM" or modified type look. The OEM '84 1/2 would not stand out from the crowd as much. They both look good, this one will get noticed more and make people come over to see what all is going on.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I think this is more of a "CUSTOM" or modified type look. The OEM '84 1/2 would not stand out from the crowd as much. They both look good, this one will get noticed more and make people come over to see what all is going on.
    I'm leaning towards this airdam simply for the fact that I feel, with its more angular design, it will compliment the 3 piece spoiler on the car better than the rounded lines of the factory nose. I would love to do a true restoration on it and put it back to the way it came from the factory, but I don't see that happening. Not looking to heavily modify it either but I think a few subtle mods might make it stand out just a bit more.

I have also contemplated whether it should be body color or leave it black and paint the body below the door mouldings black to match the airdam.

I have been back and forth for awhile on this also. I need to just pull the trigger and get it done.....kinda like the wheels!
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    My name is Brock and I have a shoe fetish.

Attachment 100371

I couldn't pass them up for $100, in almost mint condition and all center caps.

My next post will probably be my obituary because my wife is going to go off the deep end.
    I'm going to touch on a problem that is becoming all too common lately.

Let me start with these wheels.

I'm really disappointed that sometimes people can't be honorable and keep their end of a deal. Like most deals I make, I literally PayPal'd this guy the money within minutes of him accepting the deal. $100 sent his way and he would hold them for a few days so I could make arrangements to make the 200 mile trip to pick them up. Long story short, even though he was paid for them and he was in no hurry to move them out of the garage, he texts me a couple days later and asks if he can send the money back as someone else wanted them. I guess I could have been an ass about it but what good would that do? Drive 200 miles to go through a nightmare deal and waste the time, energy and fuel to most likely walk away with a cash refund and a bad taste in my mouth? No thanks, I did the honorable thing and accepted the PayPal back and walked away, even if I feel I got the shaft and bad end of the deal.

Next on the list.....

These springs.

Name:  IMG_2172.PNG
Views: 321
Size:  264.6 KB

Guy posted them locally and within 2 minutes I messaged the guy telling him I wanted them and was not going to haggle with the price. He said great and that I could pick them up early the next day, since I was tied up that evening. I asked him if it was a sure deal and he said they are all yours. A couple hours later I get a message that he had someone offer him $100 and if I wanted to pay more than that I could have them. WTF? Now I'm supposed to get in a bidding war for a used set of springs that I was supposed to get for $75.....no thanks.

Wish people could just be honest and honorable when they make a deal. I understand people being flaky with buying and selling but at least be upfront and honest especially if they have already sent the money.

Still on the hunt but at least I got that off my chest.

Rant over, thanks for listening.
    Brock

Really haven't been doing much besides some little odds and ends to help the appearance a little.

I have replaced the LRCA's that I put on over the winter with some SVE control arms. I did this because the BBK's I got used were the older style and the old bushings were pretty beat up. New bushings were no longer available so that pretty much rendered them useless. I retained the factory URCA's because I had rebuilt them over the winter. It's so nice having the new stuff in the back.

Have done some dress up on the motor via new air intake tubes and a chrome air cleaner lid.

Before:
    Name:  IMG_0977.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  136.6 KB

After:
    Name:  8.JPG
Size:  132.7 KB
    Brock

Secured the underhood light wire so it is no longer flopping around and hanging up on stuff. Got pretty lucky in the fact that I was able to remove the old clips and reuse without breaking them. I did lose some of the ribs on the shafts that hold them to the hood but it didn't affect the way they hold. While not factory correct tape and wrapping, it still looks 100 times better.

Name:  4.JPG
Size:  115.3 KB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  88.1 KB
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  106.5 KB
    Brock

Finally after a year of the 3 gauge pod flopping around on the console, intermittently working and having to pick them up to read them, I decided to do something about it. So between shows Saturday, I went and bought a new set of gauges and made quick work of installing them in a couple hour window. I really didn't want to mount them this way but since there were already holes in the dash, presumably from the previous pod at some point in time, and I didn't have anything to cut out and utilize the radio hole, I mounted them this way. At some point in time I will want to put a radio in this car so I will have to think about a long term solution to this setup, but for now it will be fine and it is nice having a set of working gauges.

The volt meter never did work in the pod and when I took it out, I found that they never hooked up the + side. It took me a bit to locate a 12v KO power source but I finally found one that was headed to the radio wiring that I was able to use. I still need to find an illumination wire that will turn the lights on the pod on with the headlights but at least I have a working voltmeter.

Before:
    Name:  Iphone 516.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  132.4 KB

After:
    Name:  7.JPG
Size:  102.7 KB
    Name:  gauge pod.jpg
Size:  76.9 KB
    Brock

Air cleaner came out great Brock.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    Air cleaner came out great Brock.
    Thanks! I thought it made the raggety engine bay look a little better.
    Brock

It totally does. I did the same to mine (not as shiny bright as yours though). The HO air cleaner is the "crown jewel" of the 4bbl engine bay.

Just a suggestion for the gauges-maybe stack them vertically next to the temp controls since you don't have ac? And maybe black to match the stock gauge colors? Then you could throw some tunes in there and it'll all look nice and tidy.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Half debating removing the information center since I don't believe it is functioning anyways and mounting the gauges there. Mounting them vertical by the temp controls might be an idea but I'm not sure how I would accomplish that and still make it look good and not hack up the bezel. I picked out the white gauges because they were the nicest set on hand at the place I got them and I was almost tempted to do the white face stickers on the factory gauges. On the same note, I have been tempted to do the aftermarket gauges inside the factory cluster that I have seen posted here. I dunno.....too many options!

Would be nice to have some tunes every now and then though LOL!
    Brock

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    I like the tan. Color that you don't see everyday. Congrats on the purchase.
    Isn't that the truth. I work at a dealership. Ruby red, magnetic, deep impact blue, white, and tuxedo / shadow black is about all I see. It is so boring.
    01 F250 Lariat SC 4x4 and it's paid for. Still loving the V10

Just followed this thread top to bottom. Great work for a great looking Four Eye! What was your technique on the air cleaner lid? That's an awesome transformation. And ditto on Craigslist and forum parts douche's. A deal is a deal...ESPECIALLY when you sent Paypal already! And I hope the guy with the springs was trying to get $25 more out of you and ends up getting nothing for a while. One of these days when the heat index drops below Death Valley around here, I am getting to work on my junk. I've put it off for so long, the garage has filled up with wife's and sons' junk. Gotta at least look like I am doing something to convince them to get their crap out!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Just followed this thread top to bottom. Great work for a great looking Four Eye! What was your technique on the air cleaner lid? That's an awesome transformation. And ditto on Craigslist and forum parts douche's. A deal is a deal...ESPECIALLY when you sent Paypal already! And I hope the guy with the springs was trying to get $25 more out of you and ends up getting nothing for a while. One of these days when the heat index drops below Death Valley around here, I am getting to work on my junk. I've put it off for so long, the garage has filled up with wife's and sons' junk. Gotta at least look like I am doing something to convince them to get their crap out!
    Thanks Droopie, I love this car. In fact my wife has named her Christine... My technique on the air cleaner lid was easy......bought a chromed steel one and added decals. Now with that being said, I have started working on the factory lid and so far the results look pretty promising. I believe she will clean up to an almost identical shine, or darn near close to the chrome. Stay tuned for a possible update on that.
    Brock

I haven't updated this in some time so I will throw a few updates out.

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    The drivers side is soaked in coolant and I have not quite pinpointed the source. I do know it is not the hoses, it almost appears to be coming from the water pump to block area that suspiciously looks like nothing but red RTV sealant.
    This ended up being a few issues. First, I was able to tighten the bolts around the water pump as most of them were loose. That stopped the majority of the leaking but there was still one that I just could not locate. The leak was not very big, but it would still multiple spots on the concrete and wet the D/S swaybar area on occasion. More on that later as the story plays out.

Drove the car around most daily and not much eventful happened until around the end of June or so when I noticed the coolant temperatures starting to climb and swing randomly. Sometimes it would stay around 190f even if it was 100+ and them some days it would want to climb to 215+ on days it was less than 90f. Started off with checking the fan clutch. I figured it was severely worn as I could spin it with one finger and it would rotating days later. Replaced it and now the fan pulls strong. While I was at it, I checked the thermostat. First thing that struck me as odd was the position it was in. The spring side was in the housing, I was always told it goes in the manifold side. It had a lot of wear on the shaft, so I checked it in hot water and sure enough it was only opening about 1/4 way. Ran down to the McParts store and picked up a new one. In my haste, I put it in with the spring in the manifold, refilled the system and let her run. Didn't take long and she shot up to 220+ and climbing while never looking like I was getting any flow. Shut it off, let it cool down and popped the thermostat back out. Tested it, like I should have done before I installed it and low and behold, would not open. Returned that one, got a new one and tested, this one worked. Between the fan clutch, new thermostat and clean/degreased radiator, life seemed good for awhile.....minus that random pesky coolant leak I can't locate.

A few weeks later, the random running hot and temperature spikes are back and with a vengeance, especially at highway speeds. On the highway, it would run hot and when you slow down and even running around town in traffic, it stayed cool. Knowing the hoses, thermostat, and fan clutch are new, I was wondering what else it could be. I flushed the system a while back and the upper tubes in the radiator didn't look too bad at the time and when the thermostat opens, the flow looked really good so I really didn't think the radiator was in bad shape and I was confident the water pump was functioning properly. After some poking around, the general consensus was the radiator being the problem.

Being where I had a show to attend with the MCCO that was 150+ miles one way I wanted to attend this past weekend, I gave it a shot and picked up a stock replacement radiator and installed. Looks odd seeing all the silver in there now.

Name:  IMG_2469.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  124.3 KB

Also, the old radiator looked to be in worse shape than I thought or remembered.
    Name:  IMG_2477.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  81.4 KB
    Bottom
    Name:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  76.1 KB
    And remember that pesky leak? Found it! The lower neck was cracked which is hard to see in this picture
    Name:  IMG_2473.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  93.4 KB
    Brock

Didn't have a whole lot of time to test run the car before the trip to Des Moines for the show, so basically I took a leap of faith and figured to test it out on the trip. What's the worst that can happen....call a tow truck to get a ride back home? Did have to make a quick unexpected stop on the way out there to make a timing adjustment. Distributor slipped a little bit I guess.

Average speed on the way there which is 150 miles mostly interstate
    Name:  IMG_2499.png
Views: 243
Size:  53.1 KB

Car vital signs held steady in this area both directions. Didn't think it was too bad even with a 180f thermostat and 82f outside temp on the way back.
    Name:  IMG_2521.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  91.4 KB

Glad to say, the old fox and I made the show and had a good time. Was pretty funny being the oldest car, out of 11 of us, to make the trip out...some of the club members thought I was nuts driving it that far. Not my fault if they all chose to take their late models, I only have one and I enjoy driving it. The next closest in age that made the trip was a mint 2004 vert.
    Name:  IMG_2511.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  112.8 KB

The trip home was uneventful.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 08-22-2016 at 01:09 PM.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    My wife wonders why there is only one key to the garage.......
    This....and my wife thinks the 15+ guitar cases under the stairs are empty and that I haven't bought a new axe since I brought home the last car
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Wow!! Glad you were able to get that coolant leak fixed!!

Bravo for driving the "old car", Brock
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Brock the car is looking Great. On the interior panels you can paint them and add adhesive promoter as I did and mine is still holding up great if you can find that color. You just have to clean and prep it good. I just like that rare tan interior. If mine was that color I would have repainted mine back to tan but mine was that ugly canyon red and I hate that maroon looking red. And black was not a option in 84. And that air cleaner looks awesome. I am glad you are getting her out and driving it and enjoying the car. I have been driving mine to work and every where. Plan on driving it to Columbus on Sept.11 for a all ford show. People tell me I am crazy for driving mine all around, But why have it if you can not drive it. Keep up the great work.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Car looks great! Keep it up!
    "In God we trust, all others we monitor"

SVTOA# 3555

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast