Close

Threaded View

Good grief... what an idiot... words that often replay in my head: no matter how paranoid you think you are, it's not paranoid enough... and my parents often saying, "if you want something done right, do it yourself."
    I'm glad you decided to dig into this "rebuilt" engine bud. Your findings and inclinations are right on the money... such as rods and caps have inner bevels (stamped numbers go together with stamped numbers, etc) that are to ride where the crankshaft's journals' outers have a radius, and rods to run flat side to flat side, with a bit of clearance between each pair... what a hill billy, what a mess. As was, I wouldn't give the poor thing a lifespan prediction of more than 5 or 10 minutes, with a rather loud and catastrophic finale... I wish stupid stuff and exposure to dingbattery didn't happen to good guys. What you have, which is fine, is a good foundation (if the standard pistons aren't goose loose in cylinder bores honed too big and the crank didn't get scored too badly) for you to now rings/bearings/gaskets it.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 10-25-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/