Close

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

This reminds me, I painted an entire tailgate on a Ranger I had one time with rattle cans. I sanded, primed sanded, painted, sanded, cleared (also rattle can) and then wet sanded the clear. It lasted until I sold it (YEARS) and I swear you could not tell it was rattle can. It was literally as good as OEM as far as the surface finish. I am no more a painter then you are but I guess I just got lucky somehow with temperature, humidity and good cans of paint and it worked somehow. I have no explanation for it. I think a lot of bad rattle paint projects is due to old or bad paint cans themselves personally. Anyway, It may last longer than you think!

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    This reminds me, I painted an entire tailgate on a Ranger I had one time with rattle cans. I sanded, primed sanded, painted, sanded, cleared (also rattle can) and then wet sanded the clear. It lasted until I sold it (YEARS) and I swear you could not tell it was rattle can. It was literally as good as OEM as far as the surface finish. I am no more a painter then you are but I guess I just got lucky somehow with temperature, humidity and good cans of paint and it worked somehow. I have no explanation for it. I think a lot of bad rattle paint projects is due to old or bad paint cans themselves personally. Anyway, It may last longer than you think!
    That's encouraging! I did my best to prep the area and the conditions in the garage were pretty close to temp/humidity that was on the can, so I think it will be ok. I tried to do a quality job with the rattle cans by taking my time, multiple thin coats and following directions..... which is something the wife laughs at me about. Maybe she should try it while cooking once in awhile.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Brock, car looks great and the fact that's a rattle can job amazes me!! It looks really good in the pics! I can understand why you had to stand back and admire it. Looks like a completed car again. Congrats my friend and enjoy it! Too many times people stress over perfection and it makes the job take way longer than it should. They lose so much time that they could have been enjoying their car. My car looks great in pics but in person the paint has a LOT of imperfections. The hood and trunk have more metallic than the rest of the car, there are thin spots where the 20 plus year old repaint is wearing thin, the right front fender got egg'd at one time and it's ate away at the paint. I touched it up the best I could at the time. It's very noticeable in my opinion. But it still draws thumbs up and has won a lot of awards at shows. The imperfections give it character and also proves that I try and do everything myself. A lot of people respect that. So in my opinion, your car is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Brock, car looks great and the fact that's a rattle can job amazes me!! It looks really good in the pics! I can understand why you had to stand back and admire it. Looks like a completed car again. Congrats my friend and enjoy it! Too many times people stress over perfection and it makes the job take way longer than it should. They lose so much time that they could have been enjoying their car. ... So in my opinion, your car is awesome!

Wow. Very well said sir. We are all probably guilty somewhat of concerning ourselves with what some other people might think when at the end of the day, there is nobody you need to impress on the planet other than yourself. Excellent point.

Brock, car looks great and the fact that's a rattle can job amazes me!! It looks really good in the pics! I can understand why you had to stand back and admire it. Looks like a completed car again. Congrats my friend and enjoy it! Too many times people stress over perfection and it makes the job take way longer than it should. They lose so much time that they could have been enjoying their car. My car looks great in pics but in person the paint has a LOT of imperfections. The hood and trunk have more metallic than the rest of the car, there are thin spots where the 20 plus year old repaint is wearing thin, the right front fender got egg'd at one time and it's ate away at the paint. I touched it up the best I could at the time. It's very noticeable in my opinion. But it still draws thumbs up and has won a lot of awards at shows. The imperfections give it character and also proves that I try and do everything myself. A lot of people respect that. So in my opinion, your car is awesome!

Thanks Bill! That is an awesome perspective and there is definitely truth in it. I am guilty of striving to making the impossible possible and at times trying to please the majority of people that spend huge bucks to have a perfect car and then never drive it. I am proud to say that my car is a driver and I accept its shortcomings and character. I can honestly say that everything that has been done to it to date, I have researched, attempted, learned and done all on my own. From shining up the old paint to installing fuel injection and rewiring, I guess I have a lot to be proud of even if it isn't "perfect".

I'm actually feeling really good about it now! Thanks again Bill!
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I wish those covers didn't have the pony on top, but they just might work and bound to be better than the grey seats now.
    I was actually joking when I first posted the covers.

Then I looked at them a bit longer and thought "They're NOT Horrible, but the Horse is a bit much IMHO."

Here is another option in two tone beige, that's a bit more subtle, but still has the Horse. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tan-and-Br...9TFcP0&vxp=mtr

Name:  Seat Covers2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  35.8 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Bill! That is an awesome perspective and there is definitely truth in it. I am guilty of striving to making the impossible possible and at times trying to please the majority of people that spend huge bucks to have a perfect car and then never drive it. I am proud to say that my car is a driver and I accept its shortcomings and character. I can honestly say that everything that has been done to it to date, I have researched, attempted, learned and done all on my own. From shining up the old paint to installing fuel injection and rewiring, I guess I have a lot to be proud of even if it isn't "perfect".

I'm actually feeling really good about it now! Thanks again Bill!
    Your welcome Brock! Glad I could help with an outside perspective! You do have a LOT to be proud of with your car! It has come a long way in a very short time and looks fantastic.

And Homer, thank you sir!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Lookin good!
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 bird View Post
    Lookin good!
    Thanks Matt!
    Brock

I'm just catching up Brock, I think your car looks fantastic!

As for the pinstripes, just replace them all. It's not that expensive to get new ones. You can just lay over the ones in the mouldings.

The paint job on the nose looks awesome, great job Brock.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Supporter

Too many times people stress over perfection and it makes the job take way longer than it should. They lose so much time that they could have been enjoying their car. My car looks great in pics but in person the paint has a LOT of imperfections. The imperfections give it character and also proves that I try and do everything myself. A lot of people respect that. So in my opinion, your car is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wow. Very well said sir. We are all probably guilty somewhat of concerning ourselves with what some other people might think when at the end of the day, there is nobody you need to impress on the planet other than yourself. Excellent point.
    I'm so guilty of this myself but when you have the opportunity to take it up a step with a little more effort there could be no better time than the present! Most people won't see any of the flaws that you know are there plus they add that little bit of character!

Your car looks great Brock! You must get a lot of thumbs ups and compliments these days!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Your car looks great Brock! You must get a lot of thumbs ups and compliments these days!
    If I took it out more lately, I would have a better answer for this one.

Saturday was the first day that I have had it out and away from the house in a month or so. I felt the need to take it to the Saturday morning coffee cruise so I could gauge the feedback from the local guys. Once I got past a dead battery, a dead spare battery and using the wife's car to jump the Stang, I was off for some critiquing.

Once I got to the C.C., a few of the regulars came over immediately and complimented me on the bumper. Even a couple of the MCCO members came over to congratulate me on a job well done. All in all, I believe it shows pretty well.

Later in the evening, I opened up F.B. and ran across this post.

Name:  Screenshot_2017-08-12-19-45-24.png
Views: 182
Size:  292.5 KB

I had posted a pic for Taillight Tuesday a week or so back just for the heck of it and this group asked for a few more pics, so I obliged. I didn't figure that I would have my own little recognition post later, it took me by surprise. It's nice to see it getting some outside love.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 08-14-2017 at 07:23 AM.
    Brock

Congrats Brock!!!! On getting the car back out and about and that FB post!!!

In the quest to get her ready for the MCA show in K.C. next week, I have been doing some basic service and minor touchups around the car. Changed spark plugs, oil/filter, air cleaner, checked tranny fluid and rear end fluid. That's all good to go now. Need to change the u-joints tonight as they are making a little noise.

Did some touchup bodywork and paint around the sunroof to make that match up to the car better. I'm not thrilled with it, but it will suffice for now.

I also decided to get the GT painted back on the hood like the factory had it, just to give it that little extra pop and that's where the "fun" began.
    I ordered the 83-84 GT hood paint stencil from Graphics Express and once I got it, I was a bit confused on how it worked. What I envisioned it to be is not what it is. After some looking at it, reading the vague instructions and looking at it some more, I realized how it works. The stencil is to be used during a "start from scratch" paint job, so it goes on after the base color coat is applied and before the black is sprayed for the stripe. After the black stripe is dry, the vinyl stencil letters are peeled off so it gives it the body colored logo. This is not what I needed as I needed an outline to spray the base color on top of the black stripe.

This is the point I should have stopped and left well enough alone, but I didn't because I'm hard headed and always trying to be creative and make things work.

I started off marking the lines around the stencil so I could place the GT over the factory one. I got the top of the GT stencil lined up perfectly with the existing GT outline on the hood. I proceeded to lay tape down across the rest of the area and then applied the stencil to the tape. From there, I cut around the stencil with an X-Acto knife and peeled it out to make the GT cutout so I could spray paint. I roughed up the area with sand paper and cleaned it before paint. Sprayed the paint, without triple checking the work, and I realized a couple things afterwards.

#1 - I forgot to remove one piece of the tape below the T to extend it down towards the lower line like it should.
    #2 - The stencil was lined up perfectly with the top existing line, but the repro decal is slightly different in its shape than the original. Looking at it up close shows the difference where it DOES NOT match up. Thankfully this is not noticeable unless you are up close and personal with the hood.

I've got one of 2 choices here.....
    Leave it alone for now and hope no one notices the screw up or try and paint the bottom extension on the T so it looks like it should. Ooops......

Name:  0812171715.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  55.3 KBName:  0813171348.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  66.9 KBName:  0813171412.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  90.4 KB
    Brock

On the flip side, I did find some $20 tan seat covers that will serve my purpose for the time being with only a couple small modifications needed to make them fit pretty well. It's mainly the headrests that need the sewing.

Glad I took Home Ec classes during middle and high school. I'm probably better at that than I am painting.

Name:  0813171810.jpg
Size:  100.9 KB

At least they don't have the goofy ponies on the top of them.
    Brock

Default My 1984 GT Refurbish/Upgrade Thread

Hey Brock it looks good. To be honest, in the pic the GT on the hood looks great. And I imagine the hood will be open most of the show. So to be honest, it's very doubtful anyone will notice your oops. And those seat covers should work nicely!! Nice find! Car is looking awesome!
    Also congrats on the FB recognition! Very well deserved!

--Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    I'm just catching up Brock, I think your car looks fantastic!

As for the pinstripes, just replace them all. It's not that expensive to get new ones. You can just lay over the ones in the mouldings.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    The paint job on the nose looks awesome, great job Brock.
    Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Congrats Brock!!!! On getting the car back out and about and that FB post!!!
    Hey Brock it looks good. To be honest, in the pic the GT on the hood looks great. And I imagine the hood will be open most of the show. So to be honest, it's very doubtful anyone will notice your oops. And those seat covers should work nicely!! Nice find! Car is looking awesome!
    Also congrats on the FB recognition! Very well deserved!
    Thanks guys. I wish I was super thrilled with the work, but it is what it is for now. My main goal is to get it appearable for the MCA show and do odds and ends while I drive it. I would love to hit the 1500 mile mark this year before winter. I should have far surpassed that already, but things just haven't worked out in my favor so far this year.

I thought the FB recognition was awesome. It at least goes to show that there is some love for the 4 eyes out there and with what I have gotten done to it helps it stand out a bit.

The seat covers were a gamble as they were "universal" fit but all in all they fit ok. At least they cover the grey seats well enough that the mismatched seats shouldn't become the focal point of the interior. Crap! That reminds me I need to scab together some sort of headliner before the show so it's not plain ugly metal up there.
    Brock

At least they don't have the goofy ponies on the top of them.
    WOW! Try and help a buddy out and this is what I get!

Name:  no Seats.jpg
Size:  9.3 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    WOW! Try and help a buddy out and this is what I get!

Name:  no Seats.jpg
Size:  9.3 KB
    Much appreciated buddy....but the horses were just too much! Maybe I'm just not old enough yet to think they are the schiznit!
    Brock

The Ponies Were Da Bomb!

Can't believe you are SO Out of Style!

Good Luck with the GT.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The Ponies Were Da Bomb!

Can't believe you are SO Out of Style!

Good Luck with the GT.
    IKR? Haven't gotten to the denim short stage yet. I'm not hip!

Thanks Trey, I need a little luck here and there.
    Brock

Hey Brock,
    Car looks Awesome. I think you need to paint cars for a living if you can do that with a rattle can. I think the front bumper looks great and I like the seat covers also. You have done a great job on your car.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

How's the headliner? Is the cardboard Ok? If it isn't, call me and I can walk you through the plastic I made and glued the headliner to. It will save you prolly 150 over buying a new one. And I've already done one so i can tell you what not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    Hey Brock,
    Car looks Awesome. I think you need to paint cars for a living if you can do that with a rattle can. I think the front bumper looks great and I like the seat covers also. You have done a great job on your car.
    Bob
    Thanks a lot Bob! I dunno about painting for a living as I'm not sure I'm patient enough for that.
    Brock

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast