Close

Default Just bought a 1985 Mustang convertible

Hello all,new to the group and new to the mustang scene. Never had one till now and I got a 1985 mustang convertible with a tbi 302. Nice car for being 30 years old and from Michigan. Questions I have are what should I do to make it and nice weekend head turner. Hopefully I can upload some pictures of it. At the moment it has 16 inch pony rims on it and I plan to keep them. I just want to have them dipped chrome.from what I've read and researched there's not much I can do to it as it being a throttle body injection.but won't a tune or chip help with adding a cam? Really all I want to do to the engine is cam,rockers and porting where necessary. It does need some body work but it's a straight body and next to clean interior minus the cracked dash and no rear window. Car also has no power steering which I'll restore that feature. Well I'm on my mobile phone and for now I'll leave it short until I can get to a computer. Take a look at the few pictures I have of the car so far
    Attached Images Attached Images    

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Welcome! This is best 4-eye place to be! Congrats on getting your 85. My uncle bought an 85 Red GT with a white top new in 85. Can't go wrong with a 4-eye vert! Fun car
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 07-08-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

If it doesn't have sub-frame connectors installed yet: that is your first modification.

Being a vert, and an 85, use the full length ones. You'll notice a HUGE difference. Check out Maximum Motorsports; a great source and parts.

Welcome to FEP.

-j

Welcome vert owner!

If you get a chance we've started a vert thread....lots of good info there.
    Here is a link..... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rtible-Q-amp-A

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Welcome and congrats.

Thanks so much. Yeah it's a beauty for its age. I will check out the page I love this car. Always get compliments. I have also been checking on suspension parts. Saving money up just for it also going from the cfi to a explorer intake engine/331. Stroker. More for street use. Also have to get power steering. I was offered a 88 front clip for 20 dollars my thought was I should do it but hoe often do you see a four eye mustang with a huge cowl hood. Lol so the high beam headlight housings are gone so I'm gonna to use those to my advantage and make them breathe in air like the new hellcats.thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by foxvert85 View Post
    I was offered a 88 front clip for 20 dollars my thought was I should do it but hoe often do you see a four eye mustang with a huge cowl hood.
    Dangerous topic there but the fact that you turned it down and keeping it a 4-eye is an awesome move.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Yeah I like the newer clip but maybe for just a hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by foxvert85 View Post
    Yeah I like the newer clip but maybe for just a hatchback
    This site frowns upon any conversion for any model four eye to an aero nose.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I understand clearly.sorry. i know I made the right decision but another subject. The motor in my car. I was told by the kid I bought it from that it was bored .30 over,not sure because he does like to fib every once in a while but,My plan is the 331 stroker kit but is it best used with a fuel injected intake of carbed? And another question. I have a set of I believe shorty headers and the oil dipstick was taken out. Anyway around it without removing headers?thanks

Before you get too far along in your planning, you will need to verify whether your car has a roller-capable
    engine block. None of the CFI engines got the roller cam, but the mid-year '85s did get the updated block.
    There is an engineering number cast into the block on the "ear" above the starter. The roller-capable block
    will have an "E5AE" or newer engineering number.

HO engines with shorty headers have a dipstick tube bracket that attaches to the rearmost bolts for the #7
    and #8 header tubes. The dipstick snaps into the bracket. The dipstick is pretty much a straight shot down
    into the side of the block, just above the pan rail.

Whether you can replace the dipstick tube with the headers in place depends on how it came out. Often they
    break off at the base, leaving the rest of the tube in the block...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thanks. Yeah I'll have to check. But I was gonna get a newer block either way n just sell my engine.is there a market for these cfi set ups anymore?