Close

Default Anyone have an 84 mustang with 10/83 build date?

So, to try and keep it short, my dad had an 84 GT when I was growing up. He bought the car in 1988 and sold it in 2001. This car is what really gave me a passion for four eyed cars, and I've been half heartedly trying to figure out if the car still exists over the past few years. I'm sure most of us being car guys have that car from our past that we will never forget...

Unfortunately any documents he had that may have had the VIN are long gone... I've been trying to find any trace of this car at my parents house for over 10 years, be it something as simple as a old insurance card or anything... But have found nothing.. Until now. I was helping my dad with his current 05 GT when I came across a rearend tag in his toolbox.. Sure enough, he remembered breaking it off the original rearend and tossing it in there when he was doing an 8.8 swap on the car in the early 90s.

So I know it's not much, but this is the only tangible thing I've found from this car in 10 years of searching, and it contains the date code of the rearaxle, which decodes to 10/27/83. So I now have a rough idea of when the car was actually built. I'm just wondering what the last 6 sequential numbers would have roughly been on a late October/early November mustang? I know it's a long shot, but if I have a starting point I can fill in most of the blanks and basically just keep plugging numbers in until I get a hit? I can also search insurance databases in GA if I can figure out a VIN.

Name:  full.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  25.1 KB

I'm the kid in the striped shirt in the middle. I'm now almost 28, older than my dad was when that pic was taken.. lol
    Name:  full (1).jpg
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20150704_012713767.jpg
Size:  122.3 KB
    1980 Capri RS

J = September
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Probably looking in the EF106000 to EF115999 range of VINs.

Than range alone contains almost 2000 P28M VINs.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I can't help, but want to wish you good luck! I foolishly let all my documentation of my totaled '84.5 GT get away from me over the years. Luckily, my father had kept some registration paperwork in a filing cabinet I found after 26 years!!! I'll never have mine back because it was destroyed but hope you can find your dad's... keep us posted.
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about contacting Kevin Marti and seeing if maybe I can get a list of VINs. Maybe he can narrow it down by bright red GT's with gray interior, 5 speed and 3.08 gears produced in late september/early october of '83. If I can just get close I can run VIN's through the GA insurance database until I get a hit. It's a long shot, but who knows...

I do know the car was wrecked.. the guy my dad sold it to called him a year or so later offering to sell it back to him. He said he wrecked the car but it was fixable. My dad had a '95 GT at this point (that I DIDN'T let get away and now own) and he didn't really have the time or interest in messing with the car again.
    Last edited by 80 Capri; 07-05-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    1980 Capri RS

You will not get a list of VINs from Marti. Per his agreement with Ford, he is not allowed to do that.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Ahh, that sucks. You say that range of VIN's contains 2000 P28 VINs. How do you know this? Do you have a list?
    1980 Capri RS

Yes, I have a list. It's not verified though, so there are bound to be some errors (missing VINs, VIN's ordered but not produced, etc.) I gave specialservicemustang.net all of their VIN lists and we have found errors here and there and have corrected them as we go along.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

That is a good story. I wish you luck. Just a thought, is there a way you can do a title search under your dad's name with the DMV? I would think they would keep on record the VIN? I don't even know if that's possible. Good luck! I hope you find it
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 07-08-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

I'm in the process of buying a house. While hunting for my social security and birth certificates we came across a insurance policy statement from 1990.. Car was on it. 1FABP28M1E7114598.
    1980 Capri RS

No insurance record for it in GA so I guess it's either long gone or in a different state.
    1980 Capri RS

That VIN is not correct. (The "7" after the E is supposed to be the letter "F". The check digit "1" after the M is not correct for the rest of the VIN. It should be "4".) Probably why you found nothing at dor.ga.gov

This is what came back for 1FABP28M4EF114598:

Registration Status: Expired On: 12/23/2000
    Insurance Status: DOR records currently indicate that No Insurance records exists for this vehicle
    Insurance Records:
    Penalities:
    Comments:
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Good catch! I guess the insurance company fudged it. So car was never put back on the road after it was wrecked, at least in GA. Probably a safe bet it no longer exists.
    Last edited by 80 Capri; 07-21-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    1980 Capri RS