Close

Default Ever heard of a BOSS Tric Edition?

Ok, so I'm not new to the Mustang scene at all but this has me confused. I came across this car for sale and the guy claims it was a special factory built, #3 of 100, 1983 BOSS Tric Edition GT 5.0-5 speed. I spent a good solid hour trying to find any documentation and came up with nadda. Maybe one of you has something that can shed some light on the situation.

~ Mike
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  32.7 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  28.7 KB

I've seen another car with the "Boss" nomenclature on the side. It was an 83 or 84 and it also has the "Spoilers Plus" fiberglass front air dam installed (the same air dam Saleen used in 84 and early 85 on his cars). The Boss I've seen doesn't have the "Tric" attached to it though. The owner of the car I'm talking about said it was a original dealer add on. His car is the only one I've seen like that, but I think he had documentation to back it up.

Maybe this one (the one you're talking about) is a similar situation...a dealership trying to capitalize on the whole " Boss is Back" slogan ford used in 82? Otherwise your guy maybe got suckered in by a previous owners story and his car isn't legit at all? It's hard to prove without documentation as a lot of small dealers ran promotional editions to try and drum up business...just like all the lesser known special editions from the 1960's.

I say without documentation it's just an 83 Mustang and should be valued as such.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Unless there is anything else unique about the car, I would say that this is a "sticker package" and a dealer marketing ploy. By the way, this car has been for sale off and on for a while. I agree 100% with TOPGEAR85's statement as to valuing it as any other 83 GT.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Thanks guys. I'll check the car out this Sunday and see if has any documentation to show that it's worth it to me to buy it. If not I'll stick to building my GT350

It looks like a pretty cool 83 though, regardless of the validity of that "boss" decal.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Unless there is anything else unique about the car, I would say that this is a "sticker package" and a dealer marketing ploy. By the way, this car has been for sale off and on for a while. I agree 100% with TOPGEAR85's statement as to valuing it as any other 83 GT.
    I agree, it sounds like somebody is trying to "tric" you

here's a sale ad from 2 years ago. if you call you might learn about what it is. i mean if i were going to look at the car i'd sure call. nothing to lose right? http://www.ponyforums.com/showthread.php?t=1017291
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

Ceiner Woods Ford in NC used to do special dealer edition Mustangs back in the 80s, this is probably a similar deal.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Bought one back in '83 with the "tric edition" stickers and quad tip exhausts. Never knew the specs on it but it was faster than the stock '83' GT's.