Close

Default 351W roller vs flat tappet

I'm still in the planning stages of my 82gt build, but I already have a 351w block machined and ready to go. I was wondering what your thoughts were on doing a roller cam. It's a non-roller block. I know what I need to convert it over, but here's my question. Since I'm not planning to go crazy with the cam lift, is it necessary to do this upgrade? It will be a fairly mild build, not a race car. Just curious if this is a worthwhile upgrade or would I just be throwing money away?.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 07-03-2015 at 02:11 AM.

I think the roller setup allows for a more sophisticated(for lack of a better word) cam profile, even if you're not going radical with it. A little less friction too.

Flat tappet is fine for a mild build, although I've read a few gloom and doom prophecies on the internet, regarding flat tappets and today's motor oil...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Direct from Comp Cams' Website:

"Key Benefits: Modern, aggressive roller profiles, reduced friction, low maintenance, reduced valve train moise, more power than conventional hydraulic flat tappet camshafts
    Limitations: Increased cost, limited rpm range, profile limitations"

I would recommend talking with Comp Cams and others to see what they recommend for your build and that should help you decide if a retro roller cam is worth the added costs to you.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

i have been a victim of the flat tappet gloom and doom maybe twice, don't have the second apart yet. and on it we used "Joe Gibbs hotrod break in oil" while putting a bottle of zddp in at the first oil change and everything so for me i go roller just so i don't have to worry about it happening again. It expensive and time consuming when you wipe out a cam lobe so if you can afford it i would upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I'm still in the planning stages of my 82gt build, but I already have a 351w block machined and ready to go. I was wondering what your thoughts were on doing a roller cam. It's a non-roller block. I know what I need to convert it over, but here's my question. Since I'm not planning to go crazy with the cam lift, is it necessary to do this upgrade? It will be a fairly mild build, not a race car. Just curious if this is a worthwhile upgrade or would I just be throwing money away?.
    You need to figure out what your goal for the engine is and then put a solid (realistic) number down for a budget. Then you can start to figure out how to get there.

I would not be afraid of a flat tappet personally, but I have not experienced any of the failure issues hat have been brought up. Knock on wood....

Many times the cam gets blamed for a failure that is ultimately caused by something else.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Flat tappet cams have been around for a long time(obviously) and you can make plenty of power with one.

A roller cam has many advantages, but if cost is an issue then go flat tappet.

You just have to be VERY careful about cam break-in so that it will live for a long time.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

Roller, hands down
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

with the cheap prices of ford hydralic roller motors i don't even consider flat tappets any longe i gave $200 for my 88 roller 302 and can go today and pick up a roller 351 for $200 so you may want to keep an eye on your local craigs list

Always nice when people are so free with other peoples MONEY...

The OP already has a freshly machined 351w non-roller block, so the best money is to go with that and the flat tappet cam.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

FEP Power Member horsepowerjunkie's Avatar

The price of drop in link bar style hydro roller lifters has gone way down. I think the cost is worth the no headache, no worries, reliability of the hydro roller set up.
    11 GT Black, A6,Steeda CAI, SCT X4, Circle D 4C
    89LX Blk Hatch,363 Dart,C4,T76BB,FAST EFI
    86 Black GT, 331 Dart, S-trim aftercooled, 4R70W
    82 Carpi RS, 306, T5, 8.8 4.10's.
    72 Demon 340 4-speed(one of 1667)
    73 Dart Sport 340, 410ci, Indy 230cnc+, bracket brawler
    01 Ram Quad Cab, 5.9L car hauler
    02 Grizzley 660
    03 Honda VTX 1800

keep it simple, flat tappets and royal purple break in oil with proper break in procedure
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Cheap hydraulic rollers are just that.....CHEAP!!!

Just as much potential for failure/faults there as well.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Thanks for all the input! I think I'll go ahead and budget for the roller set-up. I seriously doubt I'll ever have an issue with flat tappet, but it's probably worth the peace of mind. I'm the type that would keep that in the back of my mind and always worry about it lol!

Oh, and for the record, I would have started with a roller block, but I just traded around for this one and got a good deal. I had thought about doing a 408 stroker build, but that's really more than I need...and just a waste of money. I also understand the extra stress put on the rotating assembly, and a longer-lasting motor would suit me better than a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Oh, and for the record, I would have started with a roller block, but I just traded around for this one and got a good deal. I had thought about doing a 408 stroker build, but that's really more than I need...and just a waste of money. I also understand the extra stress put on the rotating assembly, and a longer-lasting motor would suit me better than a beast.
    I have a 600hp 418W out there with 30+ thousand miles that gets shifted at 7000rpm. 2 bolt main with bolts. Do not worry about stress
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

^ I'm with stupid..

Oops, I mean I totally agree with Ethyl Cat
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Yeah, was looking around a while back and there are some of the turbo guys out there with the F4TE 351w roller cam blocks pumping out over 1000 HP and not splitting the block like a 5.0 will do at half that HP.