Close

Default Roof skin - 85 Fox

This may have been addressed in another thread - has anyone replaced a roof skin on a fox body? I was looking at an 85 GT, was going to pass on it, but now it might be available. Besides some bolt on panels, the roof is my real concern. Has some bubbles at the top of the L&R A pillars and some serious rust around the sun roof. I hear its tedious - just wanted to hear some success stories... I hope! Dave

I haven't done one yet but do have one to do. I have already removed the roof skin from a donor so I can give you some idea of what it takes. you will need to remove the interior trim, mirrors, hatch, window trim and windshield.

The front of the roof skin will be welded to the A pillar and you will need to cut the welds. You will also need to melt the lead out of the joint at the C pillar. I sanded the paint off and melted the lead using a propane torch. The lead will be a different color than the steel. The rest are spot welds.

Purchase some spot weld cutters and some cutting lubricant. I used acetyl alcohol. To help keep the spot weld cutter centered on the spot welds, I drilled a small hole for the spot cutter pilot to ride in. Some spot welds may be difficult to see and it might help to run a sander around the edges to see the spot weld.

I purchased my spot weld cutters at HF expecting to break several yet was able to cut all the spot welds using the same cutter. I attribute this to the use of lubrication.

Once the spot welds are cut, you may need to use a putty knife or gasket scraper to separate the roof skin from the framework. Save the frame work for repair material until after you are done with your work.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks! I had the r/s a pillar sectioned in on my 86. I cut the part off a wrecked 93 I had picked up. I'll post up some pictures of it later tonight. I've done some panel work through the years - but never a roof skin. I'm up for the challenge if this GT becomes available. Dave

A hatch roof may be more complex but in the link starting around post #90 you can see what it's like for an '84 Notch. I need to update with the new pic's but I'm trying to get this done before the rains (if they come) come.

Deleting rusted out sunroof roof
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Dean - Thanks! Your pictures were great - well documented. What did you wind up doing - sectioning or replacing the entire roof? I'm still waiting to see if the guy calls me back with my offer on his 85GT. Half of me wants it - the other half says you have enough projects...

Cut and weld job. Not that difficult at all.

It all depends upon how you wish to replace the roof. Cut the A,B,C pillars and weld on a donor roof, replace the roof skin or patch and weld in sections to the roof.

Personally "I" find it much easier to cut the pillars and replace the complete roof with a nice rust-free donor roof of your choosing from another car. I think it also makes for a much better repair. This does involve removal of the windshield and quarter glass.

This way you have choices. Solid roof, Sunroof or T-Tops. None of these are all that difficult to find as a donor.

It all boils down to how bad is the roof rust when determining which way to repair or replace!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 07-07-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

going to do a roof soon my self.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Now... if we could only pick a quality roof out of a catalog. Maybe soon..

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Cut and weld job. Not that difficult at all.

It all depends upon how you wish to replace the roof. Cut the A,B,C pillars and weld on a donor roof, replace the roof skin or patch and weld in sections to the roof.

Personally "I" find it much easier to cut the pillars and replace the complete roof with a nice rust-free donor roof of your choosing from another car. I think it also makes for a much better repair. This does involve removal of the windshield and quarter glass.

This way you have choices. Solid roof, Sunroof or T-Tops. None of these are all that difficult to find as a donor.

It all boils down to how bad is the roof rust when determining which way to repair or replace!
    I don't know, despite all of the spot welds and tack welds I had to cut (on original rotted roof and the donor roof) I still think it would be easier to just weld the skin on rather than trying to get the dimensions right at the A, B and C pillars. I'd probably wind up accidently creating a chop-top and not a very even one at that - LOL!

A better welder than I could probably do the pillar chop method faster.

Dean
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I would feel more confident just doing the skin too - choppin would make me a bit nervous. Like the guy who tried to trim the leg of the kitchen table to stop it from wobbling.. wound up with a large coffee table.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436385095.915735.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  281.3 KBi am doing a full roof replacement now.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436385239.193294.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  232.1 KB Still needs to check alignment of door gaps.

Are you butt welding the pillars or do you intend to "sleeve" them?

Hard to tell but what is all the square tubing for?
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

That is to keep the car square and sag free with the support of the roof and framework removed.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I butted the pillars, butt put a doubler on the inside. You have to remember to remove the lead filler in this area before welding. You need to support the car with angle steel before cutting the old roof off. I didn't want anything to more during the transplant. I wish I had a solid roof, but I used what I had laying around. I would also use a roof from a 85 or 86. There is a little difference in the full quarter side tops.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436483521.280630.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  218.9 KB Pax door kept its great gap. I installed new hinges while the doors are off.

I also welded little tangs that touched the old roof lower lip. This way I trimmed the new roof to sit at the same position as the old one.