Close

Default Starting Problem

I'm needing a little help with my 85 Mustang GT. I drive the car maybe once a week and it is all stock, I replaced the starter solenoid thinking that was the problem, before replacing it the car would do a hard clicking sound as though the battery was dead, but it is not. I just replaced the starter solenoid and it cranked right up and started, I turned it off, tried to crank it agian and it gave me the same hard clicking sound. So basically after I start the car and turn it off I have to disconnect the battery every time in order to start the car back up. Almost as though it "resets" when I disconnect the battery. After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the car fires right up immediately, battery is strong, it is a stock Holley 4 barrell and honestly it starts a lot faster than my newer FI cars but only I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Need help being pointed in the right direction as to what this could be, I get a clicking sound almost as though it's coming from inside the glove box. I wired up the new solenoid just like the old one that was on there, one post at a time until I switched everything over, the only thing I can think of is the original solenoid possibly was wired up incorrectly to begin with or it's something else in the car not working. I would appreciate any help please, thank you.

Have you cleaned and examined the battery and starter cables for corrosion? Does either battery post turn at all
    if you try to twist the cable ends? Might want to connect a voltmeter across the battery, and watch what it does
    when the starter is engaged.
    Last edited by JACook; 07-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thank you, that's what I'm thinking is going on with the cables at least. The battery posts are good, there isn't any corrosion but I had cleaned them off anyway before I replaced the solenoid. I'm going to go through the cables thoroughly because what I tried next was jumping both posts on the solenoid and it starts every time. So that's my next job.

I would just replace both battery cables and the cable to the starter. Cables are cheap so you may as well, that's what I did.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd