Close

New User

Default air conditioning

Just a quick question. I'm trying to get my AC working on my 84 mustang 5.0 ltr. I have no power to compressor at all but was wondering if the freon being low would cause this. I was going to check my pressure tonight but my gauges wouldn't hook up correctly.

By no power do you mean you put a volt meter on it and it's not getting power, or the clutch isn't spinning? If the latter, jumper the cycling switch with a paperclip to force the clutch on, and force refrigerant into the compressor.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

New User

I mean no power through the harness with a test light. The later part on the harness was crispy fried so I had a new harness built but that didn't help either.

If the system presssure is below about 26 PSI at rest, the low-pressure cutout switch will not pass power to
    the compressor clutch. But that's not the only thing that could be causing your problem. What mods does
    your car have? Or more to the point, do you still have the original type carb on it? If the carb was swapped
    with one that does not have the WOT switch, you have to jumper the connector or the A/C won't work.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

New User

The car all stock with the cfi unit in place. I was told you could jump high/low switch tank with a paper clip but still no compressor action.

New User

Ok I went and jumped the compressor and it seems to work fine so I tried again to jumper the hi/low switch and got the compressor to spin. Now I guess I will put some guages on it and maybe try to add some freon