Close

New User

Lightbulb 86 Mustang engine replacement help

Hey there, im looking for a new engine and transmission for my 86 mustang GT, its currently got a 2.3 I4 and a 4 speed transmission in it. In order to make it easier to find an engine, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what engines/transmissions from any make, model, or year will fit in my car, preferably a V6 or V8. According to the person I got the car from, it was bought with a smaller engine, but larger engine mounts so that it could have a larger engine installed after market. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

How did a '86 GT get a 2.3 in it? They didn't come that way from ford.

As to upgrading from the 4cyl, no point at all putting anything less than a 5.0 V8 in it, but that entails TONS of other changes, not just the motor.

I am in the midst of swapping a 5.0 and automatic into my '93 Mustang LX that was originally a 2.3 car, and it is a very large project.

Are you going to do this yourself or hire it out? What kind of budget do you have?

Lots and lots of things you need to consider for a swap like this.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

New User

I may be mistaken and it's an LX, im not familiar with the difference and there are no markings on the exterior. I have a mechanic friend who im going to pay to help me with it, but I need to find an engine first. Do you know what years of engine and/or what type of engine will fit? And could you give me more information on the work I would need to do to get the engine in?

A 5.0 engine will bolt up, but you need a V8 transmission setup too.

I am using a 5.0 V8 GT40P engine from a 2000 ford explorer and a 4R70W trans.

There are so many things you will have to change that listing them all here for someone who has never done anything like this before is nearly impossible.

Best bet is to READ, READ, READ everything you can find on forums like this one and the hundreds of others that are out there.

And everyone you talk to will have a different opinion on every subject relating to this project of yours.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

Its not really that big of a task depending on which route you take. Carb or injected are you biggest choices to make.
    Carb would be a lot less work. No computer or extra wiring to deal with and a less complex fuel system.
    The best way to go about this is to find a donor vehicle that has the engine and trans you want.
    Here is a site with parts http://www.car-part.com/ or http://www.searchtempest.com/ is another.
    Make a plan first or it can become a money pit.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Its not really that big of a task depending on which route you take. Carb or injected are you biggest choices to make.
    Carb would be a lot less work. No computer or extra wiring to deal with and a less complex fuel system.
    The best way to go about this is to find a donor vehicle that has the engine and trans you want.
    Here is a site with parts http://www.car-part.com/ or http://www.searchtempest.com/ is another.
    Make a plan first or it can become a money pit.
    It may not be that big of a task to someone with lots of experience but that is obviously not the situation for the OP.

I have never made a deliberate effort to dissuade someone from attempting a project by suggesting it was too difficult for their level of mechanical competence.
    If the man has an interest and is seeking knowledge or help then I am all about assisting him. It is ultimately up to him to determine what he can and can not do.
    I hope the OP is able to develop an idea of what is involved both mechanically and financially and make a choice based on facts and his current situation.

Google "5.0 Mustang swap" and you will have much info to read.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Welcome to FEP.

You'll definitely want to do a LOT of research for this project. It's great that you have a friend with mechanical abilities. You'll rely on that experience heavily with this type of project.

The other advice given is spot on. Make a plan. You should spend the majority of your time determining what sub-projects will lead you to your completed project goal. The more time spent planning, the less time you'll spend trying to determine what needs to be done next.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to post progress pictures.

Edit:
    Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the current engine? If you post some pictures of the door tag, build sheet, buck tag, etc., in the "Decode" section, our resident guru will decode the information for you to determine what your car originally came with from the factory. That might help you determine a swap that will be less expensive in the long run. Knowing what your car had originally will help you identify which models to look for when looking for drivetrains.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 07-01-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

New User

Theres nothing "wrong" with the current engine per-say, its just underpowered. For example, I was driving from Vancouver to Whistler just today, and I was trying to keep pace with traffic but the car was struggling going up inclines in fourth gear, which I need to use to keep pace with traffic. And I'll just say thanks for all the advice here rather than reply to each post individually, I will definitely plan it out before hand. I probably won't go with a 5.0 because that it just TOO much power, I don't want to be popping wheelies.

Quote Originally Posted by A_HEESE View Post
    Theres nothing "wrong" with the current engine per-say, its just underpowered. For example, I was driving from Vancouver to Whistler just today, and I was trying to keep pace with traffic but the car was struggling going up inclines in fourth gear, which I need to use to keep pace with traffic. And I'll just say thanks for all the advice here rather than reply to each post individually, I will definitely plan it out before hand. I probably won't go with a 5.0 because that it just TOO much power, I don't want to be popping wheelies.
    Amy swap besides a 5.0 is almost a waste of effort. Maybe a swap to a 2.3 turbo motor, but definitely not to a 3.8 V6, hardly any better than a stock 2.3.

I can definitely understand that issue. My little Ghia, when she was roadworthy, couldn't get out of the way going downhill with a tailwind with the 88-HP rating she was given. Definitely too little for today's driving.

I was given some great advice on increasing the HP/Torque of the little 2.3L that you might want to read over before deciding to swap out for something else. Click the "Build Thread" in my signature for some information and I'll paste in the "2.3L Horsepower Potential" thread I started a while back.

Edit #1:
    Instead of adding another reply to this thread, I created a hyperlink to my other thread I mentioned. It's a long one, but contains a LOT of great information. It should be a good read for you before you start on your project.

Edit #2:
    I didn't think I had enough room in my signature, but I was able to add the "Horsepower" thread to my signature, too.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 07-02-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

New User

Alright, thanks for the advice, im trying to find an engine now. Do you know what the technical name for the engine would be? And what years would be best for my car?

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    ...If you post some pictures of the door tag, build sheet, buck tag, etc., in the "Decode" section, our resident guru will decode the information for you to determine what your car originally came with from the factory. That might help you determine a swap that will be less expensive in the long run. Knowing what your car had originally will help you identify which models to look for when looking for drivetrains.
    Posting the pictures I mentioned, here or in the "Decode" section, will help identify what should've been in your car originally. Swapping back to that combination may be done easier than trying to swap something into an unknown platform. Any of these engines, I4, I6, V6, or V8, carbed or fuel injected, were originally installed in these cars. Basically, to better help you decide which way to go, we need to see the door tag information in order to determine what your car was built with at the factory. Once we know that information, we can give you better advice on how to proceed.

It's easy to say, "Rip out everything and drop in a 5.0L V-8," but if your car was originally built with 5.0L V-8, you'll already have most of what you need.

Alright, thanks for the advice, im trying to find an engine now. Do you know what the technical name for the engine would be? And what years would be best for my car?
    First, let's try to determine what should've been in the car from the factory. If I'm understanding what you're asking here, the engines available were:

2.3-liter (non-turbo) I4
    2.3-liter turbocharged I4
    2.8-liter V-6
    3.3-liter I6
    5.0-liter V-8

and could've been carbureted or fuel injected, depending on certain factors. Also, depending on the engine, models were configured with an automatic transmission only, a stick-shift was not available. So, you can see why it's important for us to determine the factory platform. We can provide better advice to you after we know this information.
    Build Thread

Don't forget the 3.8 v6. If the car is truly a GT it would of had a 5.0.

According to the person I got the car from, it was bought with a smaller engine, but larger engine mounts so that it could have a larger engine installed after market.
    A 4cly, v6 and v8 will all bolt up to the same k-member. Each one uses unique motor mounts. If I had to guess, your car was used as a donor for a drive train swap and what came out of the other car was put into your so it could be sold. You should check the casting number on the block, transmission and rear end to determine what year of vehicle it came out of. While you are checking things, also check the diameter of the front brakes to make sure they weren't swapped out also.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4