Close

Thread: Getting Smart

Default Getting Smart

Hi guys--

I am new to the fox body world and new to this forum (first post).

These cars have always caught my eye, but this is my first venture into possibly owning one. My question is basically, "is there a central place to read up on the special cars so I can get smart?" Right now all I know is that I don't know anything, certainly not enough to justify a purchase. In the classic British and European circles that I am more familiar with there are normally one or two books or sites that have this type of information in a central place. Is there such a resource for these cars?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

There were a lot of special editions throughout the Fox years. There are several sub-forums dedicated to many of them, where you can learn about specific ones. See the top of the this page: Special Interest/Limited Production Cars If you can find a question about them answered feel free to post some questions.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

There are also a few books that are worth picking up depending on what you might be interested in. A good general Fox-Body book is "Fox-Body Mustang Recognition Guide," that one breaks down each year and touches briefly on a few special edition cars (SVO, 93 Cobra, SSP, 84 Anniversary, etc). If you want to get into Saleen's there are a couple books dedicated to them...."The Saleen Book" is the most accurate and best reference as it also contains a registry. Another Saleen book that was published in the 90's called "The history and Development of the Saleen Mustang" is another good one. Although it's not as accurate as the Saleen book, it does have a lot of good info. This book is out of print and copies are hard to find and can be expensive.

The best resource is this site if you want a 79-86. By far we have a ton smart people on here that are willing to help and answer questions.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd