Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default undercarriage/ front suspension detailing: results of refreshing & upgrading

The fact that you are reading this indicates that, to some extent, you are likely interested in restoration or detailing of our beloved four eyes. I certainly do enjoy seeing the efforts of others, and I have learned a great deal from this sub-forum. So in the spirit of restoration, I have some pics to show you.

I first did suspension/undercarriage detailing three or four years ago, so it was time for refreshing and upgrading. The upgrading was based on things I have learned from seeing a couple low-mileage and/or unmolested cars over the past year, plus pictures posted on this forum. So, a few weeks ago I decided to rework the floor pan areas.

About the time I got started, the "76 mile Pace Car" pictures showed up. (Thank you Sandy for making them available, and thank you David for posting them). This car is terrific. There were details I had never seen or even thought about. So what started out as floor pan work, mushroomed into refreshing of certain front suspension parts. It was one of those situations where you work over one part, and that makes the neighboring part look bad, so you do it too, and so forth. We've all been there, right? I've come to the conclusion that underhood and undercarriage detailing is a never-ending project (ha).

So, given all this introduction, here are pics of a few of my recent attempts at upgrading.

Fuel line taken down to bare metal, clear applied; brackets given same treatment; screws are likely supposed to be zinc dichromate, for now they have the Eastwood simulation treatment. Formerly I merely had it all painted black. Floor pans painted Eastwood Chassis Black Satin.

Check out the yellow stripe on the back of the control arm mounting bolt. I could not see evidence on my car of this stripe, but who knows if it was originally there. This was a "76 mile Pace Car" detail.

Much of what you see here was already done, but some areas/parts were freshened up. Check out the yellow stripe, in this case I could see evidence. These little details are fascinating to me.

Looking back towards the transmission. You can't really tell, but most of the suspension bolts were taken down to bare metal since they appear to have had no coating or finish. I then applied a thin coat of oil, just to keep them from immediately starting to rust (which is what they would probably do, here in the constant high humidity of Houston).

The passenger side.

(The pink in the pictures is reflection from the red towel on the floor. It is hard to take pictures of the undercarriage of a car!)

Probably the weakest front-end part detailing is the steering rack. It was replaced in 1999 and was/is painted all black. The "76 mile Pace Car" rack doesn't look like this. I am thinking about how to do an upgrade....

Now, overall I will admit the pictures make things look better than they really are, as is typically the case. If you were looking at it live, you could tell that certain parts and surfaces reflect that the car spent its first few years in the Rust Belt as a daily driver. For example, areas of the floor pans could be shined up like new, and other areas--- not so much.

Always interested in comments and suggestions for further improvements. I have more work to do before next month's MCA show in Loveland, CO .............

Bob
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I'm blown away by all that you've done. It's easy for the 76 mile pace car to have an undercarriage like this, but to have this level of detail and cleanliness on a car that's been used is much more impressive (imo). Well done.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I'm blown away by all that you've done. It's easy for the 76 mile pace car to have an undercarriage like this, but to have this level of detail and cleanliness on a car that's been used is much more impressive (imo). Well done.
    TopGear85 says it very well!

Congrats on the detailing you are doing.

Did your front sway bar have any markings on it?

Instead of a coat of oil, I sometimes use the Eastwood clear on bolts...as long as it doesn't change the finish.

I have used the Eastwood products for years and I like all the different paints and coatings that they have available.

Don't know if you have considered it, but to clean up bolts, washers and fittings before applying paints or coatings, I sometimes use a tumbler to clean them up first. But, it takes time.

Also, another thing that works very well is a glass beader, if you have access to one.

Keep up the great detailing. I look forward to more pictures.
    Rob

Nice Work - I love seeing this level of attention to detail.
    Look forward to seeing you again in Loveland!

BTW, I have to bust your chops a little on that oil filter - no embossed lettering???
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

nice that's a great looking job

Impressive work. How many miles are on your car?
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I hate these threads....every time I see your work, I dread looking under mine! But in all seriousness....FANTASTIC attention to detail as always Bob!!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Great job Bob! You are inspiring me to get back under my car... lot's to do before Columbus!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Good job Bob. I can't wait to see your car in person
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Nice job, I admire your attention to detail, keep up the great work!

Thanks everyone.

Even though I have repainted the front sway bar more than once, I have managed to maintain the original markings.

Good idea, I will consider using clear on some of the cleaned-up bolts.

Bob, good catch on the embossed oil filter. Actually, I do have one, but it is dry and kept in the trunk. My standard procedure is to change it out at MCA shows. But a recent ruling by the Head National Judge says that if you have it, that is good enough (as opposed to having it installed). In my case that saves the inevitable puddle of oil at shows, which is especially messy at indoor shows.

Car has 95K miles, split up as follows:

1979-85 up to 60K miles daily driver in near-Rust Belt (southeast Illinois)
    1985-99 up to 78K miles quasi-storage, minimal use, little maintenance performed
    1999-present up to 95K miles renovation and restoration (continual.....), local and national car show duty

Here is another pic. This one deserves a bit of explanation.

Bluemax and I have both done rear axle restorations. We both faced the fact that, from the factory, there was no paint or coating applied. Thus if you see an original early Fox the rear axle will be badly surface rusted. So our decision was to be factory correct and deal with rust constantly, or paint with a color which approximates bare steel. Both of us chose practicality and went with the latter.

Now, from the 76 mile pace car, we see that most of the front control arms are painted/coated, but the ends are bare steel. So I followed the same path: black paint on most of it, with the ends looking like bare steel (but are actually painted too, similar to my rear axle treatment). So in a sense this is my "interpretation" of what it might have looked like.

As an aside, did you notice that bullittm3's 1982 GT has no coating on the front control arms?
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Great job Bob. The car looks AMAZING!

Great job Bob! I really like seeing all the details you have done. You have put a lot of work in to the undercarriage getting that way and keeping it that way. It is great to see these cars getting the attention to detail like the older cars.

Bob, will you have this car at Columbus? I want to see some of these impressive foxes, and meet their owners of course, in person.

Thanks for setting the bar so high for the rest of us. Anyone can customize a car, but returning one to original specs is an art! (IMO)
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

Yes I plan to have the car at both Loveland and Columbus.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Update: this week I moved to the rear suspension area. I did a rear axle/springs/control arms project two years ago, and it has held up well. But there were several other small areas/parts which needed upgraded. Much of what I did was inspired by the pics of Sandy's 76 mile Pace Car.

Most of it turned out good, but a few areas/parts could use a bit more work. Also, when I get to see the 76 mile Pace Car for myself, I know I will have more items to change/upgrade (such as: the washers on the rear shocks look cool, but I don't think they are correct).
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Just a BEAUTIFUL job. Great work.

Looks Terrific, Bob..........I really give credit to everyone out there who is restoring a Foxbody......As we all well know, the MCA guidelines for Concours restoration on these cars is a very high and difficult standard to attain.....While in the URB Class (unrestored) we expect to see patina, rust, wear and tear, we basically are charged with not "restoring".......And Bob is right, it's a much easier standard for us "URB" types.....We are basically conserving what it there.......

The Concours standard is better than new of course, and the finish level will usually exceed factory in all respects....Basically Unrestored and Concours cars are 2 different animals, and I love them both....!!!!!!!

Sandy Blaser
    MCA#76083
    Gold Card Judge
    3rd Generation
    1979 Pace Car 6029

FEP Supporter

Bob, can you tell me again what blue you used for the bolt head and nut paint for the metric fasteners on the suspension?

It is Rustoleum Painter's Touch, Satin, Wildflower Blue. From Home Depot. I do wonder, when I get to see Sandy's car, this shade of blue might end up being a bit too light. We shall see.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Hi Bob - I so hope you bring this car to the Ohio show. What color of paint did you use on the sway bar? Thanks!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

I used Eastwood Zinc Phosphate on the front sway bar. In my opinion it captured the look/color I was striving for.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    I used Eastwood Zinc Phosphate on the front sway bar. In my opinion it captured the look/color I was striving for.

I agree. It's spot on.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

FEP Supporter

Bob, I recently cleaned up the control arm bolts on our '79 prior to reinstall of the control arms and saw no evidence of yellow stripes either.

I have since used Rust Convertor and have them primed ready for the blue paint if I can find something to work.

Interesting that our '79 had yellow dust shields for the front brakes.

It is Rustoleum Painter's Touch, Satin, Wildflower Blue. From Home Depot. I do wonder, when I get to see Sandy's car, this shade of blue might end up being a bit too light. We shall see.
    I'm hoping I can find something to look right. This will be a good starting point. Thanks!

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

nice work as usual Bob. so nice to see all of the original detail. I can't wait for you to judge my 89, if I can ever get to a national MCA show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast