Close

Default VJ1 calibration, what strategy is it? (EEC-IV q's)

I've been finding strategy lists online for various EEC's, but these early ones aren't very well known. Most of the fields that list it are blank when I do find anything at all. Does anyone know what the strategy is for our 86 GT? I'm trying to find out if any of the tuners(QH, etc.) or software packages support it. VJ1 is the code, the part number is E6SF-12A650-J1B.

Tom
    1986 GT Hatchback.
    Overheard at Carlisle 2013: "Wow, this thing still runs?"
    You're darn right it does!

My spreadsheet says vj1 is for a SVO turbo
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Well, I don't know what to tell you - that's what's been in the car for the last 4 years at least, and it runs great. Seems there's little info on SD computers online. Looks like it's MAF conversion or the highway. Found out a later mark VII LSC was a mass air car, but those are pretty rare to find. I think I'm just going to end up looking for an auto/MAF mustang EEC. Some times I just have to bite the bullet. I'm getting all the supporting mods in place before I go and swap anything major and have to deal with drivability issues.

Tom
    1986 GT Hatchback.

Binary Editor supports DA1 strategy and SD1 box code. That is 1986 5.0

Try www.eectuning.org and contact sailorbob. He might have it.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Some more common 1986 Mustang EEC calibration codes are:

VJ1
    VM1
    VP1
    VR1

The 1987-88 Mustang EEC calibration code DA1 seems to be a popular swap. You should also swap the upper intake and heads to 1987 style.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

SD'S can support 325 hp with ease and reliability when the right modifications are made. The highway to MAF is just a general movement by Ford, the SD's potentially make just as much power, probably more, but with less of a factor of safety, but unless you map the engine like Ford did on its engines, MAF is way easier to fiddle with. Its the way SD trusted its calculations to so few sensors that makes it such a pest without a dynomometer. And probably, a hyperbaric chamber...

After set up, all the problems are wiring problems.

In terms of what can be done with Speed Density, look at this Beatrice~Benetton~Cosworth~Ford effort in 1986...its basically the Mike Kranfaus SVO system you have now with a few tweeks. Notice the highly paid EECIV US computer gurus (Bob Stahlmezack in the UK, James M. Coats Stateside) working with Cosworths best men?

See the first 15 minutes of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfVAGOaGEc

I'm slowly trying to gather all the pieces to upgrade the car. It's nearing 200,000 and I have not a single clue whether the engine has even been messed with- the date codes on the heads match what the car does, so it looks all original. When it goes, I'm obviously not going e6se again. I have a set of gt40 heads and the intake from a 96 explorer, if I don't get a deal on something better in the meantime. Judging from what I've read, I'd have problems getting a combination like that to work with the stock EEC programming, whether I stay on the HO cam or go a little bit larger. The MAF conversion doesn't look that hard to do, especially considering the car does have cruise control ( and it works). What do you guys think are the better options for EECs?

Tom
    1986 GT Hatchback.

If all you are doing is a gt40 head swap and an explorer intake your sd should work with some tweaks to the fuel and timing tables.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I did this for my Dad's 87 with a Quarterhorse and BE. It has AFR 165 heads, Cobra intake, and a comp cams FW XE264HR-12. The computer has code catch code DC on it and it is speed density. I purchased the computer definition file from SailorBob on the eeci4 forums. The car runs well and is fun to drive. It also has Ford Racing 47pph injectors. Obviously I had to change the calibration to reflect the injector flow rate. I don't think it is necessary to go mass air unless you simply want to.
    Julian

85 Capri - Hydroboost, 2004 rack conversion, Saginaw PS pump, SVO 4wheel disks & suspension Megasquirt.