Close

Default Brake Line Question

I need to replace one of the brake lines on my car. A 1986 Capri 5.0. It is one of the lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve. I’m not interested in making my own and looking into buying a complete brake line set. That way, if I need to replace another one, I will have it on hand. I was looking at the Classic Tube set that most vendors carry and the set from Inline Tube. Inline Tube has a set for the 1984-1986 Capri that consists of 7 pieces and a set for the 1986 Mustang that consists of 8 pieces. I’m thinking the brake lines on my 1986 Capri will be the same as a 1986 Mustang GT. Not sure why there is a difference in the number of lines.

Does anyone have any opinions on which company would be better to go with, Classic Tube or Inline Tube? Also, wouldn’t the brake lines on my Capri be the same as a Mustang GT? I appreciate any opinions and clarifications.

Thanks,
    Jim

I went with Inline Tube since they are local here.
    They did not have the particular piece, so they made one up using mine as a template.
    Picked up the part in person.
    They are very helpful.
    A phone call to either company for more specifics would not hurt.

Yes, '86 Capri should be the same as '86 Mustang.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them. I am going to talk to Inline Tube and ask about the difference. Maybe just a typo on the website. The Carpi ones are $6 more. I would think the Capri ones would be the same as the Mustang ones.

I sent Inline Tube an email last night as it is difficult for me to call from work for any length of time. The responded today. I mentioned I was looking to buy a brake line set for my 1986 Capri 5.0 and thought it would be the same as a 1986 Mustang GT but noticed they offer a different kit for the 1984-1986 Capri. I wanted to make sure I bought the right kit. Here are the kits I inquired about on their website:

The Capri Kit:
    MCB8401 – 1984-86 Power Disc Brake Line Set 7pc

The Mustang Kit:
    FMB8601 - 1986 Power Disc Front Disc Rear Drum Brake Line Set 8pc

They responded back with the following:

"The part number you need is MCB8401 which is for the Capri as I do believe the front to rear line is different between the two. This kit is $155 OE steel or $185 in stainless.

FMB8601 is for the SVT which had factory 4wheel disc brakes."

I'm even more confused. My master parts catalog lists both the Mustang and the Capri as using the same brake lines. I don't think SVT was around in 1986 and they list different kits for the SVO's which had 4 wheel discs.
    Last edited by fascat; 06-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Bent my own on my Ranger last fall. MC to abs to rear axle.
    Went with Poly Armor line like the new cars use. Not expensive.
    Time and weather were factors.
    Easier than i thought to do. Matched the fittings and length to the rusted out ones.
    Once i got the fitting sizes, diameters, and lengths correct, went to AZ. Everything was in stock.

Took 2 weeks. Planning, measuring, multiple install sessions.

AGS Poly Armor bends easy and comes in all kinds of variations fittings or bulk.
    The bends came out almost exact to what was there with the same clearances and look.
    Brakes work great again. No issues.
    Will for sure use on the Mustang as needed vs SS. And the Ranger front lines someday.
    Regular line rusts out with no warning, including where the spring wrap is.

Inline duplicated my front to rear line, that is inside the car, 12 years ago. Went with SS.
    Still looks like new. Did not buy a kit.

Inline site lists:
    FMB 8601 number for 86 Mustang disc/drum 8pc
    FMB 8401 for 84-85 Mustang disc/drum 8pc
    MCB 8401 for Capri 84-86 7pc

FMB 8402 for 84-85 SVO 4 wheel disc
    FMB 8602 for 86 SVO 4 wheel disc

Something don't match
    - The kit numbers from them vs what is listed in their catalog.
    They are sharper than that! And busy too.
    Ask them what is in the kits that makes them different? The extra piece is what?
    Capri is 6.00 more for stainless kit, but kits are same price for OEM steel?

http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Li.../FM-CAT-05.htm
    http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Li.../MF-CAT-05.htm

I had classic tube on my 1983 gt they fit really well for a aftermarket part. I would recommend them.
    Thanks