Close

Default Headliner "what would you do?"

Ok, here's the deal:

My 20th has a vinyl headliner that is separating from the backing and just looks like #%@#$%. It was one of the top 5 things to do before the unveiling (first car show). Now, I have a few really awesome FEP resources (aka, connections) and one of them has recently come across a canyon red interior that consists of a pretty good felt (?) fabric headliner. Now, I'm not 100% sure if the vinyl headliner was oem, not a big deal. My question to you Gents is, "if offered to you at a reasonable price, would you axe the vinyl headliner in exchange for an oem canyon red fabric one"? Now, I have only seen pics and have been able to zoom in to see a little bit more and am kinda leaning towards it. Mind you that I will have to have sunroof work done for proper fitment.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Personally I would go with the factory original over the vinyl, especially on a special edition car like a 20th Anniversary. HOWEVER, check it out very carefully because the backing material breaks down over time & you could find yourself back where you started unless it's in exceptional condition. Good luck, it looks like a great car.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Supporter

Either would be okay for me Marshall. Who would really notice or care? Are you doing a concourse correct resto? I would choose whichever you want. Can you go to NPD to buy the correct vinyl one or are they not available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Are you saying the cloth one is for a solid roof and your car has a sunroof? If so, I wouldn't bother with it. I would just buy a new one from npd or get some new material and have your current headliner redone.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

My car having a sunroof, it had vinyl. I pitched that and put a cloth one in it. I'll point out one thing - the vinyl shrunk and fell down when the car was seven years old. The cloth lasted 19 years and would have still been good had the sunroof not been leaking.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

The first question: Is the cloth OEM headliner from a sunroof car or solid roof?

If from a solid roof car, the backer boards are different between a sunroof car and a solid roof car and are not an exact swap. Therefore I don't believe it's worth the headaches. You would be better off installing new headliner material either vinyl or cloth on your board.

If the OEM cloth headliner is from a sunroof car the board will work, but you are going to have issues with the cloth being stretched around the sunroof opening. Re stretching to fit your sunroof may cause tears or rips in the material or cause it to pull loose from the backer board.

IMHO, new material is the best option. Obviously OEM material would be the best option if possible, but if not then the replacement Canyon Red cloth should work just fine.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I would recommend getting a color sample before ordering if possible. NPD quality is generally good, but color can be an issue with any upholstery products.

Also make sure you order the sunroof model as the backer board is different than the solid roof model.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Went through the "selection process" and marked sun roof with abs plastic backing. Only thing is, will it be cut as needed or have sun roof pre cut? What size hole for sun roof?
    conmech - aka Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Went through the "selection process" and marked sun roof with abs plastic backing. Only thing is, will it be cut as needed or have sun roof pre cut? What size hole for sun roof?
    I have not ordered one of the TMI headliner boards myself, but my understanding is the hole is cut for the sunroof and the other holes needed, but the material is not cut. You will have to cut the holes open when installing.

Generally it's best to install the headliner and board into the car and then cut your holes and openings. This helps assure that you don't cut in the wrong locations. This is especially true for the sunvisor holes and screw holes. The sunroof opening you will need to cut undersized so that you can pull the material to the edge of the sunroof opening and glue down to the metal lip. Then you install the trim over the material to give it a finished look.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Well, it's been a while since I have updated about my "STARLET". I got the headliner done a while back. Got a roll of canyon red vinyl and took the car to a buddies connection.
    Attachment 124090
    Attachment 124091
    Attachment 124092

The roll was purchased from a FEP member had headliner done and remaining material (enough for another headliner) to another member. Not 84 canyon red but 85-86 canyon red. Minor difference in grain pattern. Not a big deal to me. TOTAL cost with labor....... under $200.
    conmech - aka Marshall