Close

FEP Senior Member silver85horse's Avatar

Default 2.3T exhaust manifold installation

Hey all,

Sorry I didn't have time to check if this has been posted before, I'm sure it probably has... I don't have any experience with the 2.3T's so this is my first venture into this section.

I am most likely going to be partially re-assembling an Merkur XR4Ti for purchase. It's kind of a "sight unseen" situation - I've seen pictures of the exterior of the car, and the owner has given me all the details for it. I will post up pictures once I am actually able to see it with my own eyes! It's a deal I can't pass up - I've wanted some sort of turbo 4 Ford for a while now!

From what I understand, he has taken the exhaust manifold and valve cover off the engine to replace a leaky turbo gasket. Apparently the rest of the car is still assembled, and it comes with a new gasket and oil return line from Rapido. I'm looking for some tips and advice how to best go about reassembling this side of the engine (ie. any special tools I'll need, which pieces to mount first, what to look out for in the process, etc.). Has anyone done this job recently?!

I have to drive about 4 hours just to get to the car any idea how long this job will take before I get to roady the car back home!?

Getting stoked to feel/hear the turbo spool up!

Cheers,

Reed

FEP Senior Member silver85horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    It's not too bad. I did it a couple years ago and documented the entire removal/replace process. Good luck.
    http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....anifoldRemoval
    Awesome, that is just the write up I was looking for.. Thanks man!! I'd imagine I'll have to tweak things a little bit with it being an XR4 and all, but I'm sure it's gonna come in real handy by chance, do you know if an SVO computer can be rigged to work on the Merkur engine?

Thanks,

Reed