Close

Default Pls help 86 mustang 5.0 overheating with a full overflow no leaks in hoses

Hello .. I just bought a mustang convertible 5.0 302 and it doesn't always overheat I though I was good until 3 hours after driving I noticed my coolant comming out and I checked the hoses they are dry and the overflow is full every time .. I have heat.. There are no leaks. But its obviously is leaking somewhere. I replaced the cap.. I drove last night this morn and it was fine again,all of a sudden it back to this
    Last edited by Julieownsaford; 06-17-2015 at 12:22 PM.

It's probably the radiator, based on my experiences, but there are some tests you'll need to do, to narrow it down/rule it out.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

could be ANYTHING on a car you just bought. i would suspect it could possibly be a sticking thermostat, the fan clutch slipping too much, a missing fan shroud, or possibly but less likely IMO, a plugged radiator.

since the car is new to you, you might start with the thermostat as it's the cheapest. i like "stant super stats"
    part numbers for those thermostats:

195° stock thermostat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/snn-45359
    180° perf. thermostat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/snn-45358

i use the 180°.
    __
    i can't recommend a fan clutch, but here's a little fan clutch reading material: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...g-case-study-1

changing the fan clutch definitely wont hurt and wont break the bank.
    __
    i have also upgraded to this radiator and put an electric can from a nissan sentra on it. i beat the piss out of my car on 95° days with the AC cranked days without going over 1/2 way on the gauge. this would require a little thinking though.

griffin USA made radiator: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26272-x
    fan upgrade process, parts list, instruction, links, etc: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,36684.0.html
    Last edited by rob342; 06-17-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

+1 for starting with the thermostat

FEP Power Member

It seems to happen a lot to new Fox owners. Is there an air pocket in the upper hose?

OK I just did the thermostat ..even replaced the housing ... I'm letting it dry over night and see how it does in the am.. (Which I am still starting with the screwdriver/cillinoid) that's my next problem.. Replaced fuzes and the cillanoid and it still won't start from key. Ugh Thx for your help. I'm hoping the thermostat does it for this ..
    Last edited by Julieownsaford; 06-17-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Be sure your run the car for a while with your heater on and maybe your radiator cap off until the system burps. Hopefully that's all it is. Does it overheat when you run it hard? Definitely a new clutch fan could help. I had a blown head gasket and my car would overheat like that when I got on it. Do you notice a coolant and vapor coming out of your exhaust?

As for the key not starting the car, could be a bad ignition, or a open wire going to the start on the solenoid. Make sure it's connected correctly. I accidentally connected by battery terminal with the key on one time, it burned or popped a fuseable link in the wire. I ran a new wire from the column, spliced it in and it started everyday for ten plus years now.

Check your clutch switch, or neutral safety switch.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

No key start - I had to replace the ignition module located in the steering column on my '86. Very inexpensive part. The two halves separated and all electrical contact was severed. Easy fix.

No coolant comming out of the exhaust .. No clutch fan electric fan instead. The way I bought it

Thank you about the ignition problem..

The thermostat didn't work. We burped it and the temp was up to 280 and we shut the car off when it was done burping .. It made a noise also when it burped..

The thermostat didn't work. We burped it and the temp was up to 280 and we shut the car off when it was done burping .. It made a noise also when it burped.. It took a hour this morning before it got hot and overheated. And the temp then was as high as it could go.. And when I bought the car Friday I drove it 3 days 90 degree and it was perfect .. All of a sudden I had to start it with a cillinoid and the next morning overheating .. Ugh
    Last edited by Julieownsaford; 06-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Does the fan come on? If so, when? Can you post a pic?
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

FEP Power Member

You can burp it all you want but if you didn't fill that top hose with coolant, pinch it and quickly put it back on the radiator you will still have an air pocket in the top hose. That hose has to go vertical up and over the alternator, then down to the thermostat. Just filling the radiator after a thermostat replacement won't cut it. It could be another problem, but check this first.

What is your antifreeze/water mixture right now?

Should not be more than 50/50 antifreeze to water if not 30% antifreeze to 70% water this time of year. You don't state where you live, but based upon the 90 degree temperature when you bought it I am going to guess at least not up North.

Check your initial timing and your timing advance as well to make sure you don't have an issue there.

I would recommend replacing the ignition switch down on the column. Most likely that will solve your no start with the key issue.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

#1, please spell solenoid correctly!

#2, bypass hose in place?

#3, and it has been asked, what is the fan doing when it gets hot?

#4, as to purging the air, I always jack the front of the car up as high as possible to help get the air out and coolant completely filled. In other words, make the radiator cap the high point in the cooling system to let the air escape.

Oh, and exactly what does it do when you turn the key, just nothing or does it click or what?
    Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 06-18-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

And make sure your fan is pulling cold outside air through the grill and through the radiator.

I have seen before, not on a Ford, but the water pump impeller is loose on the water pump shaft. Or the impeller has basically fallen apart. Is the radiator inlet temp warmer than the outlet? Enough heat transfer? Agree with possible air stuck in the cooling system. If its getting to 280* be careful you dont damage the engine!