1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

Congrats. Welcome to the world of Fox Body Mustangs. It looks like you have some good starting points.

I have a few bits of advice, none of which are earth-shattering:

-- You are definitely in the right place. This forum is outstanding as to being welcoming and helpful. I think we all know that we don't own the most popular Mustangs, so we kind of stick together.
    -- Soon you will be needing lots of other parts. The parts availability has gotten MUCH better but is still far behind the classic Mustangs. You will run into parts which you think are obvious candidates for reproduction, but aren't available. Here are three for the 1979 model off the top of my head: hood pad, bodyside moldings, windshield washer tank. (I need 'better' versions of each of these!).
    -- There are only a few vendors who specialize in Fox Body parts. A couple are National Parts Depot and Fox Mustang Restoration. Again, it is a small enough world that there are specific people at these companies who are the "experts" with whom you can visit.
    -- Ask questions, we love to help.
    -- You will quickly make even more friends if you..... post lots of pictures. (!!)

Are your long-term plans evolving? Stock, mostly stock, restomod? All are welcome here. For me, I'm known as a "ultra-stock" kind of guy.

Re: upholstery question. That looks like the "cloth seat trim," a $29 option on base models. Here it is in blue.

Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Thanks !

I can't make more pictures at the moment as the cars haven't been delivered yet and the seller couldn't tell me exactly when they will...the wait is tough.

I intend to keep them stock with the original colors so I don't have to paint the engine bay. I might make a few improvements to the engine but only if I have some spare cash...so that won't happen unless I find a great deal. I don't care much about speed, my Trans Am is fast enough. The rims will be changed for obvious tire costs reasons.

The hood pads are present on all three cars and appeared to be in decent condition. Good to know about the body side moldings, I need a few for the white car. I'll have to scavenge them from parts cars then.
    So far the only parts they obviously need are the wear parts I'll be ordering on Rockauto, one driver seat cover in vinyl/cloth, a rear deck lid, and I'll change both doors on the white hatchback.

I've searched a bit about these early Mustang III and it seems to be similar to early 3rd gen F-Bodies, plenty were made but the information about them has vanished over time. Glad some people take the time to gather as much as they can !
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 07-01-2015 at 04:31 AM.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

We will be looking forward to your progress. Thanks for posting
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Delivery should be next week, between wednesday and friday...I will know for sure next thursday when the seller will call me back.

They're finally home !

Here's the buck tag of the white hatch :

And the red one :

That seems to shoot down my theory that WQM denoted "Wrap-around Quarter Molding," on the buck tags.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I put a battery in all three cars, the starter motor turns the engine on the white and red, but it just clicks on the vaquero. Didn't look further, but I doubt the engine is locked. So at least I know two of the three cars should run without too much trouble.
    The original radio works fine in the red car, I didn't try the cassette. Plenty of minor stuff don't work on all three cars (lights, turn signals,...) no big deal, it must be bad bulbs or corroded connectors.

Now after looking deeper into the Vaquero, it looks more and more like a parts car...I found some bad rust in the trunk (easy to repair, it's only above the frame rails), but worst, it appears the roof and part of the DS quarter panel were repaired. The sunroof edge doesn't line up with the sunroof and I noticed some not original looking welds on the door guard. Also the floor below the driver seat has a few cracks ! Is that common ? The floors looks pretty clean otherwise, I pulled the driver side carpet and found no rust. So its fate will depend on what I find under the paint on the driver side.

Oh and they all have a rear sway bar, they're tiny though.

By the way, are 2.3L supposed to have headers ? They're not the iron exhaust manifolds.

2.3s came stock with cast iron manifolds. Those cracks in the floor are very common on a fox.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Interesting, they appear to be original as they feature a heat shield. Would the export model benefit of a better exhaust ?

That's an unknown to me but I have been told for years that a Ford Ranger header was a direct swap for a cast iron manifold on these cars. It would be weird for you to have more than one car that had been swapped though.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Here's a picture, it does look like it belongs here. :

I had to get back home as I started having a strong headache while woking on the cars. I guess that mildew on the seats and carpet is not good at all, I'll wear a mask now until it's all cleaned up.

Oh and I found this under the carpet of the Vaquero notch :P Very likely left here by a worker as it's american and this car left the US quickly after it was built. I like how the brand name even matches the car.

I haven't pulled all the carpets yet but I've already found plenty of clean nuts and factory wraps...they really didn't care at the factory lol

That is really interesting and looks completely factory. Weird.

Mildew and mold isn't anything to play with, you may have to take the interiors out of them and clean it really good.

Yeah that's what I began doing this afternoon, starting with the red notch. Interior is out, the disassembly was very easy, no stuck or rusty bolt, even the seat belt bolts didn't pose any problem.
    I did find a bit of rust, nothing serious. Those cracks are quite ugly though, and on both sides. Floors are quite bent too. Subframe connectors seem to be a necessary upgrade.

I pressure washed the carpet and the passenger seat, I will do the rest tomorrow. The carpet is in good nick for its age, only a little bit of discoloration, no obvious wear. It was just dirty. The seats are ok, a few small tears in the vinyl, the cloth part looks fine.
    Before (my cell phone tends to make the reds really pop) :

Drying after washing :

The lighter part in the middle of the bottom was pressure washed, to show the difference.

The white hatch and the red notch run !

The V6 was a little reluctant to start, but that's mostly due to a weak battery. Another car with battery cables, 10L of gas in the tank, and a bit in the carb, and after a few tries, she was running just fine ! All fluids were clean and at correct levels.
    After she ran for a few minutes, I tried to move it but it would barely go in reverse, and it wasn't much better in drive but she moved under her own power in the farm. I checked the tranny oil, and there was nothing on the stick ! Oh no. No visible leak. A friend came by and advised me to put some 15W40, I had some luckily, I poured a little over a liter, started the car and let it run until it was warm. Then I tried again and she drove perfectly
    But an horrible rattling noise came from the rear end, we put the rear on jack stands, tranny in drive, and found the culprit, it's the dog bone that's a bit loose and touches the U-joint. Nothing serious. So that's it for the white hatch.

The red one started much quicker, we put some water in the radiator, replaced a missing vacuum line, pour 10L of gas in the tank and a bit in the carb, and after a couple tries, she was running ! She's not running super smooth but the battery cables are mismatched and the ignition system must be tired overall.

So that leaves only one more to go

SWEET Mini-collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love all of them!

The Ranger header on my 85 looks close to yours but not exact.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Here's the video I made of the delivery and a quick preview of all cars.

I wouldn't kick any of them out of my driveway, but I'd love to have that white one.

Yes it's definitely a nice car, I pressure washed the engine bay yesterday to get rid of most of the oil crud that was on the engine. Guys that car is clean, I had a good look underneath and didn't find any rust spot. If it didn't have these large dents it would be an easy job. It's still rocking its thin original paint so I doubt I'd get any bad surprise.

These cars are amazingly easy to work on and disassemble. Taking the interiors apart of the red car was done it an hour or so. No wonder they're getting more and more popular amongst hot rodders.

I'd like to repair and paint the lower dash part of the red car, I found a few cracks and someone cut the tube brace that's riveted below the radio. Is the entire dash base hard to remove ? It doesn't seem to hold much more than the gauge cluster, the radio and the heater controls.

I tried removing the front seats of the vaquero car, the rear bolts went just fine, but the front ones are spinning :/ Do you have any tips on how to remove them besides cutting the studs ? I tried using a small 7mm wrench on the square part on top but it won't stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty455 View Post
    I tried removing the front seats of the vaquero car, the rear bolts went just fine, but the front ones are spinning :/ Do you have any tips on how to remove them besides cutting the studs ? I tried using a small 7mm wrench on the square part on top but it won't stay in place.
    You might try using a large pry bar and trying to pry up on the seat track (and the stud) as you trying to remove the nut. The stud is pressed into a the seat riser and if you can get it to hold in place with the pry bar, you can often get the nut to come off. Make sure you spray the nut and stud with penetrating lube to allow the nut to spin as easily as possible.

If that doesn't work, then I have also used a pair of vice grips or locking pliers on the top of the stud until I get the nut loose enough to do the pry bar trick. Unfortunately if you go that route you might have to replace the stud or at least rethread part of it.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Okay I'll give it a try !

Here's a photoshoot of the white Ghia I just did :

And a few pics of the red car :

A little rust spot on the bottom of the front fender :

Seat and wheel back in place to be able to drive :

The trunk lid is very clean but unfortunately badly beat up :

The Ghia emblem is not original off course since it's a base Mustang :

She's been to Austria ! :

These are an amazing find. Congratulations on your purchase and on getting the white one running. I like the Vaquero. My '79 is Vaquero inside and outside. Vaquero interior pieces are very hard to find. I look forward to seeing the progress you make on these.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Thanks The white and the red run and drive actually, but the red isn't road worthy (brakes barely work and the ignition is in poor condition).
    I prefer colored interior but interior parts can be hard to find indeed, nothing exist for my '84 T/A, and it's just a light beige, nothing exotic.
    I'm planning to respray the panels of the red interior, they're not dry rot yet but the doors panels are quite discolored. SEM spray paints aren't available here, but I can get Foliatec paints. Has anybody tried this brand ? They don't have as much color to choose though.

Also I just noticed something while removing the old broken fog lamp on the red notch, is that the rear bumper is aluminium.
    So I checked the bumpers on all cars, the two notchbacks have front AND rear aluminium bumpers, and the V6 has front and back steel bumpers. I searched on the forum which cars got what but it seems a bit random. The Vaquero and the white hatchback were built maybe the same day at the Dearborn factory as their respective VINs sequence numbers are very close. Maybe they put the aluminium bumpers on the four cylinder models to lighten them a bit and help the low power engine ?

Which cars got what bumpers seems to be very random. I've taken apart many of these cars over the years and never seen a pattern. Cool that you have two with those bumpers, they're getting harder to find.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast