Close

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

I followed your advice an rebuilt the carb, it was well needed. A lot of crud at the bottom of the tank, and some oxydation on the brass pieces.

All cleaned, everything put in the same place (idle mixture screws, choke, float,...), all the holes and cavities cleaned.

But despite that, no luck...same issue.

My last resort was replacing the new coil and putting back the old one, but the I checked the connections at the duraspark module...and the big rectangular one was not completely in. Not by much, but a "click" away...

Now it works perfectly again
    I feel kinda dumb though, but a lot of stuff are new now and it forced me to check a lot of things.
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 03-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Ok so it does run fine, but it is reaaaaaally slow. It takes ages to go from 80 to 110kph. I'm not sure what to look for anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty455 View Post
    Ok so it does run fine, but it is reaaaaaally slow. It takes ages to go from 80 to 110kph. I'm not sure what to look for anymore.
    Timing?
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Check the C3's modulator valve, and that the kickdown is operating right. Normally, they aren't when an engines been lifted in and out or covered for a time.

The modulator is made in France at the Ford Bordeux plant, and its color coded, but generally, any replacement will do fine if the kickdown rod is adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Well, I got ambitious and put the car up on jackstands.With the assistance of my wife, we were able to make out the numbers on it. 83DT-7A377-C1B. In my repair manuals, there is an 83DT-7A377-C2B, so I would assume that's it. The only other one that would be close would be a ...-D2B, but it's definitely a C and not a D on my modulator. That makes it either an olive or yellow/olive type modulator.

I think you have a kickdown rod as per the other US market C3's. The 2150 Holley and C3 use the US C4/C5/ rod operated AOD linkage, which is the best system ever.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Stock cable C3/C4's, like this:-

The stock one on my European Cortina was cable operated, much like the cable C4 kickdown. Whatever Ford auto transmission you use, the information is there to make it work, but the C4 and C3's are cakewalks to operated a cable or rod kickdown.

Stock rod C3/C4's like this:-

The conventional rod system is (1-bbl 3.3 in lie six, NOT 2.8 V6)

below.

82GTforME's is rod operated from the top of the 2150 2-bbl carb

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Finishing underneath lead me up top to continue connecting more things back to the engine; vacuum lines, alternator wiring, PS lines, coil and harnesses.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...egfsi.jpg.html

That lead me to get the radiator cleaned up and in plus the rad hoses and trans cooler lines done up. And then that got me to the hood latch hardware and getting the hood close to lined up and putting the bumper on. Should be ready for the cover install later.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...jpmxz.jpg.html
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/82...q0s6k.jpg.html

A good deja vu happening

Glad to hear you resolved the issue.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Allright, so last months I decided to remove the distributor, and low and behold, the advance mechanism was corroded and stuck. After a good cleanup, the car was transformed. It works perfectly and I've driven 1000km already.
    I've finished the buffing and glued the body side moldings. I should glue the emblems but I like the looks without them. I'll put back the hood emblem though.

But now is the time to sell her, I have too many cars and my Corvette needs a lot more work than I planned at first. I'll do a proper photoshoot and put her for sale. I still have the notch even though the 2.3L is not a pleasant.

FEP Supporter

It's a great looking car and too bad you need to pass it along already. Hopefully there will be another enthusiast out there to take over from you.

Another 2.8 on the road...that's a rare site these days with all the V8 conversions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Yeah I wish I could keep all my cars ! This one is a really nice example and I really love the end result. It get a lot of compliments. It's a turn key car that I can trust.
    Next week end it will be at an exhibition with a row of Mustangs of all generations. It's in Tournai (Belgium), in the city it was sold new

Here's the result of the photoshoot I did on the harbor of Dunkerque.

Gorgeous looking car. So sad you need to sell it already.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Those photos are brochure, calendar, scrapbook memories quality.
    Great way to show off a blue car. Actually looks like taken in the 80's.
    A marine theme. Multi blue sky, water and sandy colors.
    Sharp car. Another lucky owner will find it.
    Many talents, taking those angle shots just so.

Well it took a while, but I sold it last saturday to a young man that was really excited about the car. He owns a '68 Mustang coupe already. It will be his daily driver (somewhat, he's a truck driver, he doesn't drive to work all that much). I'm sure it's in good hands now, it now resides in the area of Reims. So it's not very far, but not a region I often go to. It might be an excuse to visit Reims someday ^^
    I sold it at my minimum acceptable price, so I'm satisfied. I didn't get many buyers, but they were all serious, except they would offer me much less than I wanted for it. I nearly accepted until this guy contacted me.
    Not an easy car to sell here, unless it's very cheap. It took over four months.

Last week, just a couple days before the sale, I replaced the water pump because the new one I had installed earlier this year was already worn out. There was a lot of play in the axle, I'm not sure why. Faulty part ? Too much tension on the belt ? It made a lot of noise.

We were lucky to be able to do a an inspection the day of the sale, which it passed without issues. Just a few remarks for minor things.

So now I have the notchback to take care of, I plan to drive it a lot more but for that I need to put tires on my wheels. I have many ideas for it, but my '87 Corvette is now my priority so it will wait a little bit.
    The notchback runs and drives, the interior is in good condition, I will only do bodywork and a paint job. I don't plan to sell it.

I'm glad you were able to sell it at a price you were happy with; that is a Win-Win for you and the buyer. Good luck with the Corvette build. Do you have a "Build Thread" on another site for the Corvette?
    Build Thread

Hi, long time no post here. I've been daily driving my red 79 for the past year or so, but the engine was way more damaged than I anticipated. It's using 5 liters of oil every 800km, it is terrible. I could rebuild it but it would still be an 88hp four cylinder with a 6.75" rear end, with a manual four speed and tiny brakes, a bit crude not fast enough for modern traffic.
    So i've decided to upgrade it on the smallest budget. To do that, I've bought a very cheap 1995 V6 Mustang, it was vandalized so it's not in good condition, but it's only 100k miles, it runs great and it's all original. The interior is really nice as well so I'll use the seats and some parts from it. I will have to convert my lovely red interior to black (I have all the parts) so it doesn't look odd. I know those V6 suffer from head gasket issues but I'll take care of that.
    I'll swap as much as possible : rear end, brakes, ABS, engine, transmission, spindles, wheels, seats, carpet,...

i'll do a paint job at some point as well.

That is a lot of oil. Maybe its morphing into a diesel.
    Prob is down 10-20 hp. About same power to weight as 70's VW Beetle.
    My Ranger 2.3 uses way less oil than my 2.3T, which at best used 1qt/1000.
    Its valve seals, turbo, or both. Ranger gets 2-3k/qt.

The n/a 2.3 with a hotter cam, carb work, tune, can run pretty good especially with a decent rear gear.
    Later years FI 2.3 run nice as is.

Ranger's 10" disc brakes are superior to the Cobra's 9". Both have same size rear drums.
    Weighs more, easily stops quicker. Am upgrading Cobra to 10.

Four cyls and traffic. 2.3T's have no problems with traffic. They run like a V6.
    My Ranger is 100 hp with 5 sp, a bit slow but merges and keeps speed limits fine.

Reminds me of my 75 Super Beetle with 50-60 hp I traded for the Mustang in 1980.
    Was not a fast car. However the U.S. speed limit at the time was 55 mph (88 kph).
    Top speed was 82 (132 kph), 1/2 pedal or floored. Felt like the 1600's Bosch L-Jetronic F.I. must have had a limiter.

Slower cars that are merging or cruising at 62 mph/100 kph are usually avoided by others.
    Good. I drive that speed that a lot in light-medium highway traffic or if in no hurry. Rarely drive above 75/120.
    That means am being watched by other drivers and viewed as not a player for competing for a spot in traffic.
    Most see me and leave me alone or pace behind.
    Do get cut off regularly by aggressive hot head impatient M/F drivers who have a problem with that.

Bad news, my car got hit on the left side. I was driving straight at a crossing when a guy coming in the opposite direction decided to turn left and hit me.
    I need to replace the fender, the door and the front of the quarter panel, also the rear end moved an inch back on the driver side...I'm really pissed but it's repairable. I'll see with the insurance expert what can be done. That's my first accident in twelve years of driving.

That is horrible! Sorry to hear about your Mustang getting hit! At least you weren't injured and as you stated it does look very repairable. Good Luck with the repairs and hope everything works out for you.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah, i'm pissed, especially since I daily drive the car...on a good note, the insurance is on my side and confirmed I'm not responsible so I won't have to spend a dime for the repairs. Even better, since I'm a car professional, I can repair it myself. The expert is coming on thursday to check the car and price the repairs.
    Since it's a collector title, it can't be totaled.

Some news, it seems like my info was wrong and my car is totaled.
    I might have another way to deal with it, but it might take a few months to get it back on the road. The insurance is offering me a decent amount of money, which is relatively interesting but it would frustrate me to see it go to a junkyard after all the time and money I put into it.
    So I have two choices :
    - I keep the car as a parts car, the papers are erased, and I get 75% of the estimated value (but I have a way to get papers back, just uncertain, costly and slow)
    - I send it to the junkyard and take all the estimated value, which should give me enough money to buy another good one...but then comes the process of looking for it, going to pick it up, repair it, and having a parts car that takes space.

It does have a few rust issues i need to address, nothing major, and the deck lid is pretty beat up. The body does need a good bit of attention. The aftermarket sunroof always bothered me even if it's a blessing in the summer. I kind of prefer having a hatchback for the looks and practicality. But now I had planned this whole engine swap and I have this 95 parts car that I wouldn't know what to do with.

A friend is offering a 1980 3.3L hatchback for a low price a few miles from here but it's a bit rusty if I remember. I can also buy a clean hatchback near Antwerp but incomplete. There's a clean looking and running 1980 Turbo hatch near Orléans that looks pretty good, but it's far.

FEP Supporter

That's really a shame. Too bad you had to sell the blue car. That was my favorite and could have been a nice back up car to use.

I hope things work out for another car for you.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213