Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default Bringing back to life two 1979 Mustangs in France !

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and thought this was the ideal forums to talk about my new project. I just recently aquired three 1979 Mustangs !
    I found the ad on Thursday night, went to look at them on Wednesday and put a down placement immediately. They're very original, overall very clean inside and out, but have sat in a large dry hangar for over 25 years !
    These were really cheap but the seller had some trouble selling them because he wanted all three gone in one sale. He refused several offers for the hatchback only because of that.

They're not the "fast" 5.0s models, but they're all original export models from Belgium, with the 180kph/110mph speedometer and paddle mirrors.

The white Ghia hatchback is the best of the bunch, it's has a 2.8L V6 and an auto transmission, and besides some body damage, is very very nice and the interior is pretty much mint :

The copper notchback has a 2.3L L4 with a four speed, it features the original sunroof does have some rust on the DS quarter panel and the trunk lid. The driver seat has some tears :

The red notchback has a very nice red interior, cloth is a bit washed, and has an aftermarket sunroof. It's also equipped with the base 2.3L L4 and the four speed manual :

The plan is to get them up and running and good enough looking at a minimal cost, but doing things right and carefully.

They all feature the TRX wheels, which will be replaced for obvious tire cost reasons. Luckily the 4x108 bolt patterns offers a huge choice of wheels. Do the TRX rims mean they all have the TRX suspension package ?

All the work will be done by myself, I have already restored a 1984 Trans Am HO 5 speed, and have a 1974 Firebird Formula 400 on the way.

They're not home yet but should be by the end of the month. Now I can only hope not to get some bad surprises upon looking deeper inside these cars.

I don't know a lot about Mustang, but I've always loved the early Fox models, they're among my favorites with the 69-70 and 71-73 models. I hope to find the information I need here !
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 09-19-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Congratulations!

Looks like you got a sweet herd of Mustangs there! I am sure we can help you out with your projects as you get into them.

It's possible all the cars have the TRX suspension, but just the wheels alone don't guarantee it. Also I am not sure on the export models compared to US versions. The best way to verify what the cars were originally equipped with would be to post up the buck tags and the door tags from each vehicle in the Production/Decoding Section http://vb.foureyedpride.com/forumdis...s-and-Decoding then FoxChassis can decode them for you and will help you verify what each car has.

Good luck and Welcome to FEP!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

TRX wheels were included in the TRX Handling Suspension option, so if the wheels are original to the car ....
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks, I was wondering where the trim tag was, I'll have a look next time I see them.

All I have at the moment are the import tags which show the VIN of the white one and the Vaquero one. I hadn't noticed but the sequence numbers are very close, they were probably built the same day :

That would be only 41 car in between, if it's actually a sequence number.

Excellent acquisitions!! Enjoy the restorations.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Oh man! Body's look pretty straight. Fun times ahead
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Man that is an awesome find right there, looks like a lot of fun coming your way.

Thanks ! I'm really motivated. I'm reading as much as I can about these at the moment. But information on early foxes is a bit scarce, or maybe I'm not searching correctly ?

It seems the rear wiper option on the hatchback is quite rare ! Not a very exciting option, and definitely not a value adder but I like that kind of oddities. I hope to find more stuff like that Finding the build sheets would be really cool too. So far I've been unlucky in my Firebirds, they were either eaten by mice, or stuck to the floor under the carpet with no chance to save it...or just missing.

Also, I can't find good pictures of that same red vinyl/cloth interior the red car has. As anybody seen this before ?

I like them!
    This one might've already had the trunk lid replaced?

Compare it to the one on the red coupe. It looks like it might be flatter.

Rear wiper is a cool option, I think it was discontinued after '82 or maybe '83? My '82 GT had it.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Oh indeed there is a difference ! I would say the one on the red coupe has been changed, or at least repainted, as it was shinier than the rest of the car, just like the passenger door.

It looks like a very subtle integrated spoiler, was that an option ?

I think '79 lids were flatter, with much less of a 'spoiler.' I'm guessing that that's a later trunk lid on the burnt orange colored one.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

nice. i like the white one.
    good luck with fixing them up and keep us updated
    I'm Kris, AKA, Snow Wolf
    Has
    75 Chevy Nova, 250 inline. my DD.
    87 Ford Ranger, 2.3, been to H3ll and back atleast 3 times
    Will Have
    (i hope) Fox 4.0 Cammer
    Had
    65 Mustang Convertible, sprint 200 inline 6... 74 Dodge Charger HT, 318 V8, with some work.
    78 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special with the 460... 68 Ford Ranchero, with the 302.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    I think '79 lids were flatter, with much less of a 'spoiler.' I'm guessing that that's a later trunk lid on the burnt orange colored one.
    Odd, I searched a bit and find both type of trunk lids on what appears to be all original early models. The paint looked very original and has faded like the rest of the car. It's rusted though, so I'm not sure it can be reused.
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 06-15-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Nice score on all three. I like the little 2.8 V6s used in the 79s, and the 2.3s are hard to kill good running engines too.

The Vaquero notch was a late build, maybe Ford switched trunk lids before the end of the year? Very possible.

The TRX wheel option seems to be very popular on exported cars.
    Last edited by Travis T; 06-15-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Welcome!

Very cool - thank you for posting. I see your username 'SuperDuty455' do you have a Pontiac too?

Is this where you store the cars or where they have been the last 25 years?

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Hehe that would be fantastic but no, it's where they've been sitting for all those years. From what I understood they were on the same wall stands those VWs are on. I have a hangar to work on cars, just not this size.

I do have a couple Firebirds, one is a 1984 Trans Am HO 5 speed I restored and the other one is a 1974 Formula 400 that I'll be restomodding. Here's the Trans Am :

The Formula doesn't look like much for now besides a bunch of parts and a shell.

The Mustangs aren't home yet but should be very soon ! I'll go back there this week to finish the payment and grab the titles.

Nothing exciting but I'm preparing a place for them, between the hangar where I restore my cars and an old piggery, there's a corridor which was filled with blackberry brambles and small trees. I cut everything last week and as much as I could from a large laurel tree that is very close to the hangar. I've flattened the ground an placed some armed concrete panels I had laying around to create a nice smooth surface. Still got more to place as it's a bit small for three cars.

I have a lot of room in the "ranch", but nearly every building is dedicated to horses (actual horses lol ) and I wanted a place near the hangar to have the tools on hand and to be able to use the compressor if needed. That is until the cars can move under they're own power, it's not a storage place. I may modifiy the entrance of the piggery later, this building has a nice concrete floor and would be great to store cars.

a nice little spot for the three new horses.
    I'm Kris, AKA, Snow Wolf
    Has
    75 Chevy Nova, 250 inline. my DD.
    87 Ford Ranger, 2.3, been to H3ll and back atleast 3 times
    Will Have
    (i hope) Fox 4.0 Cammer
    Had
    65 Mustang Convertible, sprint 200 inline 6... 74 Dodge Charger HT, 318 V8, with some work.
    78 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special with the 460... 68 Ford Ranchero, with the 302.

Nice find!
    95 Taurus SHO MTX-Sold. 92 Capri XR2 1.6 Turbo-Sold. 86 Mustang GT 5.0-Sold. 01 Focus ZX3-Sold.16 Focus SE 1.0L Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual-Daily 1978 Ford Fairmont I6 - Family Cruiser

Awesome fine. Congrats

Thanks ! I went back there this afternoon to complete the payment, they should be delivered home within a week or two.

I had a quick look at them again and found a little more rust on the Vaquero notch and a few pins holes on the roof, I'll take the whole interior apart to see if she's savable or not. The other two look perfectly clean, too bad the Hatchback has those dents on the doors.

Are the body side moldings available new or reproed ?

So I'm preparing a Rockauto order to buy the necessary replacement parts, so far here's what I'm getting for each car :
    - new master cylinder
    - front calipers rebuild kits
    - front hydraulic hoses
    - rear hydraulic hose
    - wheel cylinders
    - front brake pads
    - rear brake shoes

- air filter
    - oil filter
    - fuel filter
    - fuel pump
    - timing belt kits (for the 2.3L)
    - accesory belts
    - transmission mount
    - valve cover gaskets
    - carburetor rebuild kit
    - coolant hoses
    - water pump
    - thermostat

- wiper blades
    - rear wiper blade (for the hatchback)

And the obvious fluids and tires but that I'll buy here.

That's it for the moment, have I forgotten anything absolutely necessary ?

Some other things will have to be replaced but I'll wait until I get the cars and examin them to be sure.
    Last edited by SuperDuty455; 06-27-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuty455 View Post
    tires that's I'll buy here.
    TRXs?

No I'll change the wheels. TRXs are impossible to get and a tire cost as much as one car...
    The tires on the white Mustang are in pretty good nick and not cracked, but being that old it's just not safe to use them.

Oh I forgot the ignition parts :
    - distributor cover
    - dsitributor rotor
    - spark plugs
    - spark plug wires
    I'll test the coils, they may still be good.

I forgot to take pictures of the buck tags But I did take a picture of the door tag of the white Ghia :

9D = Polar White
    DSO = 901370 : Belgium export district code I guess ?
    BODY = 61H : Hatchback Ghia body type
    VR : no VR I guess lol
    MLDG. = 73P : black side moldings with silver accents
    INT. TRIM = SA : black vinyl something
    A/C : no A/C
    R : no radio
    S : no sunroof
    AXLE = Y : 3.08 rear axle
    TR = WCCMM : C4 auto

I had to use answers on this forum to decode this, is there a place that has all the codes listed like there are lists of RPO codes for GM cars ?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast