Close

Thread: Slowww times???

Default Slowww times???

Hey guys, I know this may seem petty, but I need some advise. I have an 86 gt with t-5 and 3.73. Red polys in upper and lower CA, Electric fan, o
    O/R 2.5" h pipe into 2.5" pypes. CAI, timing at 13° 155lph pump. 8.8mm plug wires, good plugs. New cap and button. 275/40/17 out back. Battery in back aswell.So mostly stock and still SDI.

I finally got to the track for some base numbers. After reading alot I was expecting low 14's at least however this is what I got 6 times in a row(bristol dragway)
    15.565 @ 89mph
    60' @ 2.39
    1/8th @ 10.0
    I basically got outrun by everything. Are these numbers normal or are they low for what I have. Any kind of responce would be nice. Also, whats a ballpark hp number for that time .Thanks in advance.

Oh, that was power shifting if it makes a diff.

I would hope you would see lower 15s even battling the humidity of Tennessee in June. What were you launching at and was it hooking? I would think you could get another .2 at least of of your 60' time.

it's a little slow. but not bad. 15.2 - 15.3 is about right. but if it was a hot day with high humidity, bad gas (not premium brand 93 gas), and just being off on your shift points and launching RPM would throw your times off.

but the most important thing is... i hope you had fun at the track.

are you running a heads up class or bracket class?
    I'm Kris, AKA, Snow Wolf
    Has
    75 Chevy Nova, 250 inline. my DD.
    87 Ford Ranger, 2.3, been to H3ll and back atleast 3 times
    Will Have
    (i hope) Fox 4.0 Cammer
    Had
    65 Mustang Convertible, sprint 200 inline 6... 74 Dodge Charger HT, 318 V8, with some work.
    78 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special with the 460... 68 Ford Ranchero, with the 302.

Default Slowww times???

That's about right with street tires and no traction. With drag radials your 60' will drop and ET would probably be in the 14s. You will need the race weight with driver to calculate the HP with any accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by 86gtjoe View Post

15.565 @ 89mph
    60' @ 2.39
    1/8th @ 10.0
    Right there is your problem. Since you were on street tires I have to assume you had no traction. Get some track tires and your 60' will drop a lot, and every tenth off the 60' usually takes two tenths off the et.

Quote Originally Posted by 86gtjoe View Post

Oh, that was power shifting if it makes a diff.
    Here's a link you'll be needing before long:

http://www.astroperformance.com/prod...roducts_id/143

T5's are notorious for shredding 3rd gear when power shifted. Fortunately the gear is relatively cheap and easy to replace. Unfortunately when it goes it will take the cluster gear with it and that's not quite as cheap or easy a fix.

Just a friendly warning!
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I was running 15.2's with 2.3 60' times in my old 97 Tbird w/3.73s (much heavier car), so I'd think there's a fair bit left in the car. I'm also going to say that even without drag tires, 275's should be enough to do better than 15.5. For every .1 you get in 60' times, you should pic up close to .2 at the top end. HP wise, I'd say you're close to stock/close to what I'd expect for a mildly modded exhaust setup like that. I'd say maybe 210hp if I had to guess. IMO, you have room to grow into that exhaust. I'd look at an explorer intake or a mild cam to wake it up past the 3.73s. Keep trying different launch style, you'll learn what the car likes.

Tom
    1986 GT Hatchback.
    Overheard at Carlisle 2013: "Wow, this thing still runs?"
    You're darn right it does!

Thanks for all the responce.
    I was launching at 1500 getting a small chirp and going. Anything more was tire spin. It was in the mid 80's and the same for humidity.
    I will also add I'm running the same size tire up front.

As far as an intake, I just located a front end totalled 96 explorer, motor is supposed to be good and the guy sold me the throttle body, upper and lower, injectors and heads for $150. I know I will.have to either fly cut or replace the pistons but will all the work be worth it?

Second I ran a compression. Test and have a cold average of 128 is this OK or low?

Thanks again guys

Oh and I was shifting at 5200 rpm

I looked back through my log books and when my setup was:

Stock 5.0 with E7 heads
    Performer intake, 600 carb
    Performer flat tappet cam (idle-5500)
    LT Headers, dual 2.5" exhaust
    C4 trans, stock converter
    3.73 gears, T-Lok
    Kumho 245/50/16 street tires

I was running 14.80's at 95 mph on street tires.

Having automatic is an advantage on street tires, so let's toss out the ET for now. I'm interested in why you're only getting 89 mph. It would seem you are down some HP on the top end. Or your car is heavier than mine (3050lbs)

Blog Entries

Trap speed seems quite low. Did you get a weight at the scales?
    Last edited by brianj; 06-14-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Blog Entries

I used to run 15.20's with my stock 90 GT. I would say it seems a little slow, but it's highly dependent on the temp and humidity that day. Altitude can factor in too. There are probably guys on here that know a lot more about that than I do. Practice is key, every car is different. I would say tighten your launch up and make sure your 2nd-3rd shift is spot on and quick you should be able to knock some time off. How healthy is your motor? It could be getting a little tired as well.
    1985 Mustang GT Twister II, Red, Hardtop, Light Gray Interior, 5 Speed, 2.73

Mustangs of the Past:
    1990 GT, Red, 5 Speed
    1992 LX 5.0 Notchback, Auto, 125 HP ZEX Nitrous Shot
    1988 LX 4 Cyl, 5 Speed

"I like baseball, movies, good clothes, whiskey, fast cars ... and you. What else you need to know?"

Ok, so here is a question. If I swap over to an explorer upper, lower, and tb. And fly cut and install some gt40's with decent driving will this get me closer to 14's

My 88 l.x. bone stock went 14.70's at 95 mph. Added explorer GT-40 heads with spring upgrade, 1.6 roller rockers, Explorer intake and Explorer T.B. (65MM), 75mm mass air, 3.73's. and a 2 1/2" exhaust with 1 5/8" shorty headers. That is it. went back to the track after all the add on's. Went 14.0 at 102 mph. With no traction at all on street tires. Was very disappointed. Went back to the track again with 8" E.T. Streets and went 13.4-102 mph. The GT-40 kit works great but with the stock cam that I run it is all done by 4800 rpm. The shift points were 5200 rpm. The rest of the car is a bone stock 5-speed with stock shortblock and stock h.o. cam and stock suspension. Goes to show what to expect with just bolt ons. Yes to your above question.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

85 GT bone stock driveline 2.73 no smog street tires best at maple grove was 14.41 96 mph last year
    90 lx trunk brand new with 50 miles 14.22 98 mph at maple grove also in 1990