Close

Default Got my Marti Report

My buck tag was missing when I bought my '83 convertible. Someone had done a horrible paint job on the car and had stencil-painted the GT emblems on the hood, fenders and trunk. I had no idea if the car was indeed a real 5.0 GT convertible or not and I thought I'd never find out until a few weeks ago when another member here mentioned I should just pay for a Marti report and find out. I didn't even know I could do that!
    So here it is. Indeed, it is a real GT ragtop. It shouldn't really matter to me because I like my car regardless, but knowing it is one of the 993 '83 GT convertibles made for the U.S. market is pretty cool.

Name:  marti 001.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  63.5 KB
    Last edited by Johnate0; 06-11-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Wilmington Ford?? Jay Leno's former employer. I think it was his first job or something.
    My GT came out of Wilmington. This is the 1st ever '83 GT Convertible Marti Report I've seen.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-03-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: info added

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    This is the 1st ever '83 GT Convertible Marti Report I've seen.
    Aren't there several other '83 GT convertible owners on this site? I thought I'd seen a few, maybe not though.

Congrats on finding out the true identity of your pride and joy! Great color/trim combo!
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

Thanks. It was originally that darker red but at some point in the car's life it was painted Ford bright red. I could have went back with the original color but I like the bright red better.

Nice!

Mike

I agree its awesome I wish we could see them more and more!! Thanks for posting! !

Thanks for sharing your Marti report.

FYI: The door tag, if it was still legible, would have confirmed it being a GT.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The door tag was long gone as well. Whoever painted the car bright red did all the jams and edges too.

Well you and your body/paint guy did a good job with it.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks. I don't ever want to do anything like that ever again. This one was worth the time, money, blood, sweat, aggravation and tears though.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Very cool! I love that build date! That car is also loaded

Thanks for posting your restoration pictures. Those Boston winters must be tough on a car. You did a really good job!
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 06-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnate0 View Post
    The door tag was long gone as well. Whoever painted the car bright red did all the jams and edges too.
    You know Marti makes reproduction door tags. You might could try that!

http://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Very cool! I love that build date! That car is also loaded

Thanks for posting your restoration pictures. Those Boston winters must be tough on a car. You did a really good job!
    Yeah it was a rust bucket when I bought it. Thanks, but I had a lot of help with the structural parts replacement and engine overhauling. I wish I could say I'm good enough to do that entire job by myself but I'm not. I'm just really good at taking things apart and putting them back together.

I thought of getting the replacement door tag. As far as originality goes though, it's kind of pointless since the car has aftermarket and used parts all over it.

What do I have to look for to tell if it is a GT? My son has a 83 convertible i fixed and gave him for his college graduation. it is a 5.0 5 speed car. it was yellow with white interior. Thanks Bruce

1983 GTs, hatchback or convertible, did not come with yellow paint or white interior.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder