Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

OP, is that the Charlotte 30th Show PC with the 17 orig. miles...

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    OP, is that the Charlotte 30th Show PC with the 17 orig. miles...
    No its a different one.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Wiper motor stamp comparison (in that I just did a wiper motor restoration):

this car:

NPD's low mileage 79 red coupe:

I have not added this "stamp" nor the end-of-motor lettering, yet.
    Hi Bob

Here are a couple more of a '300' Mile Pace Car

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

And note the front control arms are dipped in paint up to the ball joint just like a 60s Mustang.
    So............... that is what I am working on today. This will be the third go-round for my front control arms. First time, I did them in black, just assuming they would be black like most of the undercarriage. (At this point in time, they were simply a rusty mess, like everything else underneath). Second attempt, I did them in the gray paint color I use to replicate unfished metal. They actually looked pretty good. Now, I learn that they are in fact 'two-tone'!!! So, this is where I will end up (after some additional de-rusting..... rust never sleeps......).
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Every time I look at the pictures I see new details.

Me too. Like those cool yellow stripes on the big bolts holding the front control arms. I took a look at my car, and yep, I can faintly see one. So after I get some more nearby work done I will add that detail.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Here are some more pictures I was sent

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Thanks for sharing. The more details for each model year we can collect the better! I don't know if we already have an image library on the site for documenation, if not it would be a great addition. Set it up by year and model/engine/drive-train...
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

FEP Member

Truly awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

I am the original owner of 486029, I'll pass along some history of the car.
    I was working at a Ford dealer in Indianapolis at the time when the Pace cars
    were coming in to the dealership, we ended up getting about 10 or so of them.
    I went to the Indy 500 race that year and saw the T-top Pace car leading the
    race cars around the track thats when I decided that I had to have one!
    This particular car came in after the race, it was fresh off the transporter
    and was waiting there when I came back from lunch, made the deal and it was mine.
    Right from the start I had planned on not driving it at all other than taking it out for
    a short drive each year, after the first year I decided not to drive it at all but did
    start it up every year until I had moved out of state in 1995, from that point on it
    sat in the garage covered up on jackstands. It sat in the garage that way until just
    recently when the new owner purchased it.
    Since working at the dealership I was able to get the dealer packet which had the
    dealer invoice, delivery slip from the transporter company, salesman comission
    voucher (he made $35 for selling the car!) and a few other neat items.
    Last edited by 79indypace; 06-17-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks for the post, I'm on my 3rd one and they all have some great stories if you dig a little in their past, thanks again.

Pace Car #7632
    Pace Car #7632

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post

Another question; what's hiding in all of the boxes in the hatch? NOS replacement parts?
    The main thing is the box that the front air dam comes in, also the box the wheel center caps come in,
    NOS seat upholstery I bought, some dealership window posters and a few other misc items.

Great pics!!! lots of good info.

For those of you wondering "How could you not drive the car and just store it?"
    I took care of that problem. I met a guy that bought a Pace car also at our dealership
    that was equiped exactly the same way and was one serial number higher so I had
    486029 (new) and 486030 that I bought when it was 3 years old from the original
    owner. I drove 486030 in parades and around the Indy 500 tarck as the Pace car
    for our Mustang clubs annual show at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Also drove
    486030 up to Michigan for the 20th anniversary show and drove on Fords test track
    through the hairpin turn at full speed, what a thrill! Still have 486030 that has 74,000
    miles and is original unrestored condition.
    Last edited by 79indypace; 06-17-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Thank you 79indypace for joining in and supplying the additional information. Very cool back story around your involvement with 'two' Pace Cars.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

WOW!!! you can't get any better unless you get into a time machine.
    amazing!!!!!!!
    I'm Kris, AKA, Snow Wolf
    Has
    75 Chevy Nova, 250 inline. my DD.
    87 Ford Ranger, 2.3, been to H3ll and back atleast 3 times
    Will Have
    (i hope) Fox 4.0 Cammer
    Had
    65 Mustang Convertible, sprint 200 inline 6... 74 Dodge Charger HT, 318 V8, with some work.
    78 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special with the 460... 68 Ford Ranchero, with the 302.

Quote Originally Posted by 79indypace View Post
    Still have 486030 that has 74,000
    miles and is original unrestored condition.
    That is cool!
    Could you post a pic of the buck tag, for comparison's sake?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Underneath

i knew i seen them pics before. you posted it in the "underside paint color? " thread.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ighlight=paint
    I'm Kris, AKA, Snow Wolf
    Has
    75 Chevy Nova, 250 inline. my DD.
    87 Ford Ranger, 2.3, been to H3ll and back atleast 3 times
    Will Have
    (i hope) Fox 4.0 Cammer
    Had
    65 Mustang Convertible, sprint 200 inline 6... 74 Dodge Charger HT, 318 V8, with some work.
    78 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special with the 460... 68 Ford Ranchero, with the 302.

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Interesting that the factory workers were lazy and didn't snip the ends of the zip ties! As somebody that use to do A/V and Data interconnect wiring....major pet peeve of mine. I'd snip them anyway

Also appears there was a second Build Sheet taped to the front core support by the hood latch.

I looked under Daniel Carpenters last year but didn't take any pictures. I seem to recall it being about the same as this. It too was not dealer prepped and had all the boxes in the hatch area.
    You don't snip the ends of cable ties, not unless you want them super sharp to slice the next guys hands. You twist them off with lineman's pliers! Pet peeve of mine. LOL. About the car, I wouldn't have anything around it. It would be in a climate controlled bubble. The flash rust would tick me off.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Very cool story. I live in Indy and curious what dealer you worked for and purchased this car from back then? Thinking back I believe there was only Jack Smart, Don Hines and Ed Martin....not sure if Capital City was around yet?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    You don't snip the ends of cable ties, not unless you want them super sharp to slice the next guys hands. You twist them off with lineman's pliers! Pet peeve of mine. LOL. About the car, I wouldn't have anything around it. It would be in a climate controlled bubble. The flash rust would tick me off.
    If you use a nice pair of side cuts, cut directly against the end, and cut perpendicular to the tie it cuts off smooth and flush....no rough edge. I know exactly what you are saying, which is why were taught that way in the communication/data field.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Very cool story. I live in Indy and curious what dealer you worked for and purchased this car from back then? Thinking back I believe there was only Jack Smart, Don Hines and Ed Martin....not sure if Capital City was around yet?
    I bought the car from Foxworthy Ford were I worked, it was located on the northside of Indy, today it is Tom Wood Ford.
    There were several Ford dealers in the Indianapolis area back then, Foxworthy Ford, Jerry Alderman, Chuck Calahan,
    Paul Harvey, Ed Martin, Sharp Ford, Jack Smart, Don Hinds and the Lincoln Mercury Dealers as well.
    I believe Capital City Ford came later on.
    From what I remember Sharp Ford dealer preped the parade cars that were used around Indy the month of May before
    the race, they were all 302 automatics no A/C and were early serial numbered cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    That is cool!
    Could you post a pic of the buck tag, for comparison's sake?
    I'll have to get pictures of the buck tag etc and post them.

I have the original order sheet when from my dealer ordered the car, it showed that they ordered "3 Pace Cars"
    all with the same options, 302 4spd, A/C, tilt wheel, cruise control, power door locks, tinted glass,
    rear defogger and AM/FM 8 track. The three cars were 486029, 486030 and 486032.

Quote Originally Posted by 79indypace View Post
    I'll have to get pictures of the buck tag etc and post them.

I have the original order sheet when from my dealer ordered the car, it showed that they ordered "3 Pace Cars"
    all with the same options, 302 4spd, A/C, tilt wheel, cruise control, power door locks, tinted glass,
    rear defogger and AM/FM 8 track. The three cars were 486029, 486030 and 486032.
    Thanks Steve for giving us the information! We all appreciate this
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Even better pictures with the back story from the original owner. Too cool, thanks for posting!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Here is the battery with the 79 year only battery heat shield. Not sure why they did not carry this forward?

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 06-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast