Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 85-0073 Makes her Saleen Debut:

Well I'm still sorting through some electrical issues, but I was able to pull her outside today and snap some pics of all the body, wheel, and decal work I've done in the last 6 months.

Here's what I started with:

And here she is in all her Saleen Glory:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

A couple more:

From when I got it to now...on the outside I painted and added the front air dam and rear spats (I have the correct 85 pieces but they won't go on until a professional resto is done), painted the front clip, painted all the charcoal trim and mouldings, filled in 10 holes on the hatch (from a GT spoiler) and installed the original Saleen wing, sanded and polished all 4 wheels (they were black when I got the car), and installed all the Saleen graphics and the GT hood decal.

On the interior I...put sound deadener throughout, painted all the interior plastics including dash pad and hull, cleaned the front carpet and installed a repop hatch carpet, installed a headliner, installed the Saleen Mustang dash emblem, refinished the Saleen console emblem, installed a new shift boot and knob, and a radio delete plate.

As far as mechanicals, I've replaced a bunch of parts to try and make it run better (which hasn't really gone to plan, but oh well). It has a new clutch and pressure plate, plugs, Ford Racing Wires, restored valve covers, new battery, starter, solenoid, polished duraspark box, new power steering pump and lines, new belts, hoses, new rack, all new brakes, a restored original air cleaner lid, painted air cleaner housing, I replaced the dash, and body harness's, as well as the engine harness and alternator wiring (from Mustangs Unlimited). The heads were machined and it got a valve job, as well as a new ignition switch, water pump, tensioner, brake booster and master cylinder. Lastly I topped it all off with an NOS Holley 4180c with the CA emissions additions.

Basically I've replaced everything that wore out in the last 30 years. The car's Saleen birthday is in a few days and I'm hoping to be able to drive it around a little to celebrate. It's been a total pita and I'm sure I'm not done with the problems, but seeing it in the sunlight for the first time makes me feel a lot better about moving forward.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Congrats, what a transformation..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Beautiful saleen! Love what you did with the wheels. Impressive.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    Congrats, what a transformation..
    Totally Mike! Funny when I first looked at the thread hoping to the the finished product I saw the car on the trailer going "why does he have it on a trailer, plus the finish is dull?" Oh, it was the before picture!

I'm glad the car finally has it's own dedicated thread now and not the "what did you do to your four eye" posts!

From reading about the air cleaner Evapo-Rust results to the decal install debacle, then the wheel refinishing to the recent starter issues it's been a struggle and probably frustrating! Keep up the good fight Mike, the end results will be (are) stunning and you will be super happy with it!

I really don't know much about the Saleen specifics but from what I can see things look really, really sharp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Excellent!

Mike

Looks great!

I guess it looks a 'little bit' better.

Seriously Mike the Saleen looks Awesome!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Mike,
    I want to commend you on an absolutely stunning piece of car history. You have done the car good. I am impressed.

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

You've done an awesome job! Enjoy it...that's what it was made for...drive it until all bugs are worked out. It's a labor of love brother, looks wonderful.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. After all the trouble I've had with it, seeing it outside and finally being able to admire some of my hard work has made the issues more bearable. It also gives me some much needed motivation to keep working on it and not give up. You guys have helped me out tremendously, on every project and problem...so thank you all for that.

My next project is the door hinge pins and the suspension..I need to figure out how I'm gonna mount Bilstein shocks and struts (I'll probably swap out the spindles and front brakes), add some lowering springs, full length subframe connectors, and replace all the bushings and ball joints. After that it's exhaust and a trans rebuild. Lastly I'd like to score some Hayashi's and new tires.

Once all that is done I'll be content until I can afford a full professional resto.
    Last edited by TopGear85; 06-11-2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

WOW MAN!!!!!
    she's a looking good!!!
    I'm Kris, AKA, Snow Wolf
    Has
    75 Chevy Nova, 250 inline. my DD.
    87 Ford Ranger, 2.3, been to H3ll and back atleast 3 times
    Will Have
    (i hope) Fox 4.0 Cammer
    Had
    65 Mustang Convertible, sprint 200 inline 6... 74 Dodge Charger HT, 318 V8, with some work.
    78 Ford F-350 Super Camper Special with the 460... 68 Ford Ranchero, with the 302.

It's come a long way. I know it's been a struggle, but it will be worth it in the end.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

WOW!

What a transformation! Looking good!!!
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

The wheels look fantastic....love it! As somebody that has polished wheels in the past, I can attest to what a frickin' mess it makes!! Curious...did you do the polish work or send them out? They look just great man...I know they aren't "correct" but they look great.

If I were you I would consider leaving the '86 Airdamn on the car even if you do a pro-restoration. Leave the '85 in the box for if/when you sell later in life....it will have more value like that than if you put it on and suffer some sort of damage to it Those things are "unobtanium" as I'm sure you know.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks guys!

Sowaxman, I did all the work myself on the wheels from..sanding to polishing. It was one of the hardest and most time consuming jobs I've ever attempted and more than a few times during the process I regretted my decision to do them myself. I'm not a fan of black wheels and I couldn't afford to buy a new set, so I had to make due with what I had. My first thought was to paint the wheels silver, so they were at least the correct color for my car (even if they weren't the correct Hayashi's). Before I got started I posted a thread asking questions about painting mesh wheels, and fellow member "theWizard" showed me a pic of the mesh wheels he polished. Once I saw those I knew that was the direction I wanted to go in. 6-7 hours per wheel later the above is the result.

As far as the 85 air dam is concerned, you bring up a good point. I just don't know if I will be able to not install it, once I get the funds for a professional resto. I really Ike the way that air dam looks on these cars, and my dream for #73 was always to return her to her stock Saleen appearance. When the time comes I'll have to really think about what the best thing to do is, cause you're right...that air dam is a pita to find (and it's worth a good deal of money). I suppose I could use a Pace Car/Capri RS air dam, or that Maier racing fiberglass dam. Those are pretty close to the looks of the DH Buck air dam, and they aren't made of unobtanium.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post
    WOW!

What a transformation! Looking good!!!
    Praise from you means a lot. I used your amazing 86 as the inspiration for my work.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Very nice. I hope you can finally enjoy the car. I know I've had my share of projects gone wrong over the years. It can be disheartening, but seeing the fruits of you labor is truely a huge reward.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

That is a huge transformation Mike and it looks great!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Wow, Mike!!! Looks fantastic!!!! I'm stoked for you to finally be able to enjoy her!! Good job, man!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Blog Entries

It looks great!
    1985 Mustang GT Twister II, Red, Hardtop, Light Gray Interior, 5 Speed, 2.73

Mustangs of the Past:
    1990 GT, Red, 5 Speed
    1992 LX 5.0 Notchback, Auto, 125 HP ZEX Nitrous Shot
    1988 LX 4 Cyl, 5 Speed

"I like baseball, movies, good clothes, whiskey, fast cars ... and you. What else you need to know?"

Mike, Mike, Mike... What day was it yesterday? lol

Great job buddy. #73 Looks a million times better now.
    Hope you can enjoy the car for a long time before you have to fix or replace anything.
    Now get on that open highway start shaking those cobwebs off.

One day 85 #73 and 86 #09 will be in Corona next to Steve and Molly.
    We need to get Steves signature.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Car looks awesome! Great work!
    Mike

Mike -

Car looks great and I am glad to see you are getting the car out in the sun! Digging the wheels!
    86-64

2002-168

Thanks guys, I can't tell you how nice it was to see her in the light of day with all the ground effects, decals, and polished wheels installed. Mamba, I totally agree that we need to get together in CA for a Saleen open house or something like that. I do want him to sign my car and get a pic or two.

I actually think it would be awesome if we could get an FEP/Saleen group together and all show up for that open house they do. How cool would it be to get a bunch of four eyed Saleens together at Saleen?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast