Close

Default underside paint color?

What is the correct color for factory gray underside paint (84 in my case)? Why did some cars seem to get a heavier coating of body color paint on the underside?

Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

That is a great question. Not sure I know the answer. It varied over years. I too would like to know
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

I would like to know as well. I have been trying to figure out how to match the color since there is really no good way to take a "part" of the car to match.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Add me to the collection of people who want to know more. I am in process of re-working some undercarriage detailing and would like more/better info. I will be at the point of deciding how to proceed within a week or two.

I just looked at some undercarriage pics I have of a low mileage 84 GT350. The pics aren't that good, but there is one clear shot which shows the floor pans. They are a silver color, much lighter than Saturn V's example. However it kind of appears other pieces on this car may be closer to this darker gray.

Perhaps one of these days we can document all of these details on a variety of unmolested cars............
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I had a medium gray metallic 79 that had black primer on the undercarriage and engine compartment. I wonder if these aren't like the 60s Mustangs and their "slop" primer made out of leftover paint.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Supporter

Our early 79 Tangerine coupe had black primer under the single stage paint from all the indications I've seen. Also underneath the road abrasion and undercoating it is black underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I wouldn't be surprised that primer colors varied by year. My '86 SVO is a gray primer. but the 2R body color is evident over a lot of the underside. While my car is undercoated, I have removed some of it above the rear end that I restored. The gray primer cleaned up really good, but the body color over spray came off with the under coating.

I have pics of Daniel Carpenter's low mileage (non-undercoated) SVO's ('85.5 and '86) and both are gray primer with body color over spray. I have pics of another low mileage '86 SVO and the gray primer has considerable body color over spray. Lots of neat details when you don't have the nasty under coating all over everything!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Simply do what Mick Jagger would do.
    05 Corvette Z51

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Our early 79 Tangerine coupe had black primer under the single stage paint from all the indications I've seen. Also underneath the road abrasion and undercoating it is black underneath.
    I'm starting to wonder if that wasn't normal on all 79s. My gray one was a July 79 build car. I can't remember what color primer the light blue 8/78 car had, but I recall my sister's white 79 hatch having black under the white in the engine compartment.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Here is a picture of my friends newly acquired 70 mile Pace Car. It looks Black underneath. My 79 is kind of a grayish black, which makes it not consistent.

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 06-09-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Wow.....just, WOW!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Wow.....just, WOW!
    Yeah! holy cow that's clean. Both my 84 Capri RS and my 85 GT were gray underneath with overspray. Don't remember on the 86 I had.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Wow. That's a terrific looking undercarriage. Provides us lots of details to work with, including..... more blue-painted nuts!!

I am working today under my car, doing some detailing. I will post up certain findings when I get a chance.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Now that is well preserved.
    Excellent shots for documentation.
    The early version long chrome OEM dual tip tailpipes.
    Muffler in/out loc.
    Drive shaft code paint rings and other paint markings

Wonder if the two plants at the time sourced slightly different material in the dip tanks?
    Most i seen the under body a greenish gray, even on the newer ones.
    Not mine though. Not a trace of gray. Was undercoated.

For the record; is the pc in pic V8, 2.3, auto, manual? DAP or San Jose?
    Prob a V8. My 79 turbo has dual fuel lines (one is return from pump).

if you paint the underside color matching will you get marked down in judging?
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

That explains why the under carriage of my 79 notch San Jose car is black. Always thought the PO painted it. Guess it was from the factory

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Wonder if the two plants at the time sourced slightly different material in the dip tanks?
    Most i seen the under body a greenish gray, even on the newer ones.
    Not mine though. Not a trace of gray. Was undercoated.
    The bodies went down the line on dollies and should have "unpainted" dolly mounting points. On the frame rails. I have pics somewhere...
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Unpainted dolly mounting points..... I'd like to see the pics.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Here's my two cents.

I am reworking my undercarriage detailing, working the floor pan areas as we speak. I did them about three years ago, now re-doing them to do a better job and to incorporate more details such as info from the ultra-low-mileage Pace Car above. After lots of work and study, I am convinced mine also had a black coating/primer. (Aside: It is interesting how the effects of undercoating, road abrasion overspray, 36 years of road grime, and 36 years of wear and tear all play a part.)

So I'm consistent with several posters above, but not with 79mustangcobra (!).

I think I am going to go back with Eastwood Chassis Black Satin, which I used before. It looks to be a pretty good representation, based on the info & pictures we have (though as bluemax points out, one can't take a 'part' off for paint matching).

This leads to the next question: I was able to find a small unmolested area on a frame rail. It is definitely a gloss black. So I am wondering, could the floor pans and frame rails be different finishes (pans=satin, rails=gloss)? Is this plausible based on the manufacturing and assembly procedures in place in 1979?
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Default prime time

Did come across black and white photos of 1978 Mustang II getting primed.
    Stated as a new system, can assume it was in place for the Fox gen.
    Not unreasonable that the frame rails were touched up later on in the plant.

There should be areas of primer? E-coat? color inside the car that have been protected over the years.
    Or missed by paint.
    Behind rear trim panels, inner wheel wells, spare tire well, etc.
    All is see is black everywhere in my car, a black car.

http://detroiths.pastperfect-online....22969&type=102
    http://detroiths.pastperfect-online....57655;type=102
    http://detroiths.pastperfect-online....76781;type=102

http://www.pcimag.com/articles/83635...of-epon-resins
    Last edited by gr79; 06-13-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Unpainted dolly mounting points..... I'd like to see the pics.
    Here is one off a 3200 mile '86 9L SVO, note the dolly mount point on the frame rail.

Name:  DSC03098.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  118.0 KB

Note the original mufflers, but the LH was damaged unloading off a trailer, thus the extra weld on the tail pipe.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Here is a picture from my 79 Cobra underside. This is what I mean by it being gray.

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

That looks darker than what is on the low mileage '86 cars I have pics of.

This is a good shot of the fuel filter. Again, notice the dolly mounting point. You can also see the white overspray (9L car).
    Name:  DSC03099.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  97.7 KB
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Default 8g GT Gray original under car

Name:  Rear Brake New Route.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  225.2 KB
    Mine is the true gray color too. 86 GT I ordered what I thought was the correct color; but it is not. Attached is my original rear undercarriage with the exception of the new "RELOCATED" rear main brake line feed. The line follows my welded in frame rails and comes up along the frame directly under the master cylinder mount. A ford motorsports manual proportioning valve will be mounted either on the inner fender or firewall. (see Attached)

Mine is the true gray color too. 86 GT I ordered what I thought was the correct color; but it is not. Attached is my original rear undercarriage with the exception of the new "RELOCATED" rear main brake line feed. The line follows my welded in frame rails and comes up along the frame directly under the master cylinder mount. A ford motorsports manual proportioning valve will be mounted either on the inner fender or firewall. (see Attached)