Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are those struts any good after sitting all this time?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Are those struts any good after sitting all this time?
    That's an excellent question. Anyone know how I can check?
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

If the struts are pressurized units you should be able to depress the piston shaft by hand and if it returns and fully extends then they are fine. If they don't return then most likely the struts are no longer good.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If the struts are pressurized units you should be able to depress the piston shaft by hand and if it returns and fully extends then they are fine. If they don't return then most likely the struts are no longer good.

Trey
    Thanks Trey,

The one already extended compressed and rebounded very smooth. The second shock had never been unlocked. It took a few assisted attempts but it loosened up and now functions almost as easily as the first! That would've been a bummer because these are hard to find...

What does the "M" on the end of the part number denote? The second box doesn't have it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 4eyes; 06-11-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Well it's been way too long since I posted any updates on the restoration. To get things back on track, I'll start by posing a couple questions, first who thinks my interior was painted gray or this is just a really bad case of fade?

Next, what color should screw heads holding head light bezels in place be? Mine are black but wondered if they were painted by PO.

Thanks!

Default Production Date Stamp

Noticed this yellow paint stamp on driver's side shock tower. It says "12 01." I know the car was manufactured on 12/1/83 so think this is a factory marking. Anyone else find four digit stamp on left shock tower?

Yes, have them on my 83 TBird and 84 SVO. You are correct, it's the factory build date stamping.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Very nice! Thanks for posting your progress
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

thank you for taking all of the extra time to document all of these little details. you're doing important work for people who do concourse style restorations. and nos motorcraft shocks? sweeeeet. I have a nos set of taillights waiting to go on my 79 cobra among other smaller nos pieces. they're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for posting your progress
    Quote Originally Posted by dk5_cobra View Post
    thank you for taking all of the extra time to document all of these little details. you're doing important work for people who do concourse style restorations. and nos motorcraft shocks? sweeeeet. I have a nos set of taillights waiting to go on my 79 cobra among other smaller nos pieces. they're my favorite
    Thanks guys! I'm a subscriber to both your threads. Your kind words give me extra drive to do this right... cut no corners. I'd love to just rip every component, harness and bolt off then start the rebuilding process but this time is different. This is an investigation, a research project. Hopefully, in the end, I'll do this car justice. Stay tuned!

Update time: actually, maybe a bit of a confession... I've been dragging me feet on the restoration because I had an offer from a restoration shop to help me with the job, at a discount, if the project could be used in a youtube show, advertising, etc. Well, the deal has finally dissolved as they continue to drag their feet and I want the car done. I've been restoring parts as I've taken the car apart but very slowly since the majority was suppose to happen on camera.

I'm now back to original plan to do the job myself. I'll have engine and trans rebuilt, body painted after I do most of body work, and seats reupholstered. Most everything else will be in house.

I was hanging out at Green's Sales yesterday, very lucky to have such a great resource within 30 minutes, and found the last "unique" piece for Special Tu-Tone paint, the correct blue tri-color tape stripe!

Name:  Tri Stripe.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  73.0 KB

We figured out the blue/silver and blue/light blue tu-tone cars share same tape stripe except the fender extension. On silver car the extension has silver triangle under stripe as in picture, my car needs a light blue triangle. My plan is to use this kit as a template and have a sign shop reproduce the kit for me with switched triangle color to light blue.

Looking forward to seeing this car painted, I bet it was a pretty car when new.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Glad you are able to get back in the groove ... these cars are worth the attention.
    Featured 4 Eye: 84 Tu-Tone 5C/1E - Dedicated project resto-mod for my son Cameron Lee. :tu

4 Eye past:83 GT - project, traded for a boat load of goodies to finish other cars.
    86 Coupe - Gave to a friends son - being restored. 86 GT - Gave to another friends son ... finished.
    Our Current Fords: 66 F100/FE, 84 Coupe/Tu-Tone(5C-1E), 87 Coupe/408 drag car, 89 GT/347, 90 Coupe/347/Supercharger, 94 Ranger, 98 Explorer/5.0, 04 Cobra SVT, and ...

Ford Fun-a-tic / Lithia, Florida

Here's a few interesting pics during exhaust removal. I'm trying to figure out a way to reuse the muffler shell but have new internals installed. If anyone "has a guy" I'd be interested in hearing from you. I'm glad rear end tag is still intact. Hopefully, all will decode to match rest of car.

Also, if anyone notices non-OEM parts in any pictures please point them out. We all can use an extra set of eyes.

Axle Tag
    WFC R-
    3M01 = built December 1, 1983
    3L08 = 3.08:1 gear ratio, Traction-Lok differential
    A
    75 = 7.5" ring gear
    S271D = axle code (S = Sterling axle plant)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Amazing!!!!

FEP Supporter

That's great that the original muffler was still on the car. That's one thing that was changed on the Tangerine 79 I'm doing, although the remaining undercarriage and suspension were all original down to the tags on three of four springs.

Not sure about changing or replacing internals on them though. I'd like to hear if you find somewhere though Chris for future reference.

Keep up the good fight!
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 02-21-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Axle Tag
    WFC R-
    3M01 = built December 1, 1983
    3L08 = 3.08:1 gear ratio, Traction-Lok differential
    A
    75 = 7.5" ring gear
    S271D = axle code (S = Sterling axle plant)
    Thank you sir! That matches build sheet and Marti report.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    That's great that the original muffler was still on the car. That's one thing that was changed on the Tangerine 79 I'm doing, although the remaining undercarriage and suspension were all original down to the tags on three of four springs.

Not sure about changing or replacing internals on them though. I'd like to hear if you find somewhere though Chris for future reference.

Keep up the good fight!
    Darran, you'll come to learn I'm very bull headed... I'll do it myself if I have to because the car won't be correct in my eyes if it doesn't have this Ford muffler in place. I watched a video by Legendary Motor Car were they rebuilt one for a Ferrari, so it can be done.

I'm going to soak it in evaporust first to see how it cleans up. Stay tuned.

Been wondering how bad metal is under the 1/8 inch of bondo caked on the roof and deck. So far nothing tragic, 1 ding in right corner near rear window and a low spot 6 inches in from edge of lid. Definitely looking up for being able to use original panels after rust repair instead of replacements. That'll keep originality of car even higher.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Man im so gladtit's not catastrophic under. .. but you mentioned rust repair??

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    Man im so gladtit's not catastrophic under. .. but you mentioned rust repair??
    I'm cutting bottoms off both doors and replacing with new metal, doing the same with the deck lid. That way I know panel fitment is good. Don't worry buddy, I'm not talking cutting quarters or floors.

Oh I was just curious at what rust you found... but I do recall the bottom of the doors, im just glad the roof wasnt completly hosed up...

I haven't sanded roof yet but by inspecting from inside the car, it seems okay. I'll post pics when in bare metal prior to priming.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast