Close

FEP Member

Default 1985 SSP - California Hwy Patrol SMPV #E408383

I am making a limited offer on my 1985 CHP Mustang #E408383, which was a Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle. By limited, I mean that I am only going to list it on a couple of forums before trying Craigslist. If it does not sell, then I will set the car aside and restore it later. For those who do not know, a SMPV is the CHP acronym for Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle.

This car, as pictured above, was part of a special program in 1987 by the CHP for commercial vehicle enforcement. That first year, there were 17 vehicles painted various colors (2 were alternate cars), and only 5 were SSP Mustangs. Of the Mustangs, one was painted silver with white doors, and the other four were painted all white (except for the lower part of both bumpers, which were left black. These cars also were refitted with smaller spotlights painted body color, a lay-down shotgun rack, and different rear deck lights. This is the only one to be found from the first year of the program. The program was tried again in 1989/1990 (a blue & white SSP has been restored), and there is an all-white SSP from the early 1990s that has turned up. So this car is rare, nicely documented, and needs to be restored.

The SMPV is out of the body shop, and spent the winter in my garage, along with the 85 GT parts car I purchased from a (also being sold as part of this limited offer). The 85 SMPV Mustang is shown in the same Fotki album as before:

http://public.fotki.com/28HopUp/1985-chp-e408383-smpv/

The 85 GT parts car and equipment/parts are in their own album, as seen here:

http://public.fotki.com/28HopUp/1985-parts-/

Let me rattle off items as I think of them:
    • The SMPV is not ready for paint. A large amount of time was spent on the ¼ panels, decklid, and roof; plus the time spent on the frame machine to repair the passenger shocker tower, apron, and cowl. The doors and front-end need more prep. The entire car will need final prep prior to paint.
    • The car is base coated with epoxy primer, and then two coats of 2K high-build primer. It has been scuffed too.
    • The nose came from FMR (used, and the paint is peeling). I do have the original nose with the siren cutout, but add’l holes were cut into it and it may not be salvageable (but you could measure and replicate the hole in the other nose).
    • The bottom of the passenger door was smashed in pretty fair. Kris (my body guy) pulled it and started with a skim coat of filler. The door needs more work.
    • The headlight header panel I have for the car is cracked, but the one in the 85 GT should be OK.
    • The battery is still mounted in the trunk, and I keep it disconnected unless running/moving the car. I do not think the wiring is safe from my inspection of it. The harness through the firewall was cut (very unprofessional – there is a photo in the album). The car only turns off (with the key off) once you take your foot off the clutch.
    • The shotgun rack will need to be modified to lay down along the transmission tunnel.
    • I have not purchased a pair of the 5" spotlights for this car.
    • As posted in the thread, the floorpan has stress cracks. The photos are in the album, and they are certainly repairable.
    • The engine reportedly came out of a Cobra, but I doubt it. The car does run strong. It shifts fine, but the rear-end is toast. The LSD is shot, and the pinion has a lot of play. It needs a new steering rack.
    • I have extra door skins, and if the ones in the GT can swap out to a notchback, then those are nice too.
    • Presently, the only items not shown in the parts album are the steel wheels, the decklid antenna (I do not have a base for the antenna, but I believe those are still available new, having bought one in 2008 for E408395), and the noses.
    • The CHP Assignment Card will be included with the car. This is shown on the car’s page in the VIN Project ( http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info234896.htm ).
    • The 85 GT is titled in my name, but it is not registered (they call them a “U-title” here). The SMPV is still titled to the seller in California, but it is properly signed by him to sell it. I plan to have Delaware DMV inspector come to my house to confirm the VIN in order to title the car in my name as done with the 85 GT.

I will have to assemble a list of the CHP parts I purchased along the way that are included with the car(s). I would like to get $6,000.00 for everything (2 cars and the CHP parts!). Located in Newark, Delaware. My email is mm750[at]comcast[dot]net or if you want to discuss this by phone, and my cell is 3O2-5four7-l8one5.
    Last edited by 28HopUp; 05-30-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    Bill Jr.

I don't know a whole lot about these cars but it seems reasonably priced...and it is a coupe!
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about these cars but it seems reasonably priced...and it is a coupe!
    It's a notch and a GT as well - 2 cars! Somebody needs to shoot me an offer that I will later regret accepting.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

I have now obtained clear Delaware titles in my name for both cars. I had a DMV inspector come out to the house this week to verify the VIN of the SMPV. With the completed form from him I was able to get a "U-title" from Delaware DMV, which means the car is titled but not registered (same as the 85 GT). The SMPV title does not show "prior police" like the one from California though. I did make a copy of the California title before turning it in, so that can go with the documentation on the car when it is sold.
    Bill Jr.

FEP Member

SOLD - Deal Pending. Thanks for the ad space!
    Bill Jr.