Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I bought a unicorn...

I traveled down to southern Ohio today to look over the Marquis LTS and we made a deal, IMHO a very fair deal. Probably will be picking the car up next weekend, after I get her to my work I'll start taking pics and taking stock in what I have. She's got a lot of issues, but the floors, quarters, and front rails are as solid as can be. Needs all 4 doors, a hood, and a deck lid, the doors and hood due to rust and the decklid due to a punched lock cylinder. Have a line on a rust free LTD for a donor car, hope to check that car out next weekend as well. My plans will be to do a driver resto, as I currently lack the facilities to do a more thorough rotisserie resto. Don't think I've been this excited about a car since I was 16 ! Pics will be coming soon, and I will be doing a Marti Elite report on her and will post the results.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

FEP Member

Looks like a nice project about to take off. Keep us posted.

Looking forward to the juorney ahead. Glad the car went to someone who can appreciate it for what it is. Yes it is a real live unicorn! Can't wait for the details. Congratulations my friend.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Mike

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Please resist the temptation to rip it apart, then try to sell. Try to keep it running and driving the whole time you have it.

Congratulations on the pick up. I will add it to the database/regisrty.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I'm happy for you and excited to follow the fixin' up! Welcome to the rare Merc club!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I would just get it running. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Please resist the temptation to rip it apart, then try to sell. Try to keep it running and driving the whole time you have it.
    That's my intent. Too many projects die when they get disassembled and the owner loses interest. Not gonna happen here .
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-24-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Marti report ordered... and the plot thickens. The gent I purchased her from got her from his father, who bought her from a dealer in the Akron OH area back in '87. The car was built in the US and has a MPH/KPH speedo, not the other way around which I would have expected on a Canadian market vehicle. Took a pick of the door sticker but can't read the DSO, dang it... but... there's something very odd about this car, and odd in a good way. The suspense is killing me !

I can see only the last character of the DSO, with it being a "1". If it is A1 or B1 that would be Central Ford of Canada district sales office. The US Mercury DSOs ending in 1 are Boston (11), Atlanta (21), Chicago (41) and Denver (51).

I ran a history report on this VIN last year and it went back only as far as 1995 (new title in OH), with all but one renewal being in Gallipolis, OH. The one that wasn't in OH was in Markham Ontario in 2001.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-24-2015 at 07:58 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Very cool acquisition. Congrats!
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

This LTS was ordered through a dealer in Canada. Per the Marti report for this LTS, the district sales office (DSO) is A1.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Pics? I'm wondering about more pics.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Picking it up this Saturday. Pics will be forthcoming.

Pics? Updates? Seriously.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Soon. Hopefully this weekend won't be a washout and I can make some progress as it is currently outside at my work. Don't have running water at my storage garage so I'm doing all of the cleaning at my work.

Hey guys, new to this site and found it researching the marquis LTS. I ordered one of these fine cars back in 1985 for my father. He was purchasing it but being a 20 something year old ford car guy I stumbled upon this car in the media. I talked him into ordering one from a dealer in Nova Scotia Canada(?cant remember exact one now but thinking Mahone Auto in Mahone Bay N S. )
    When the car came my parents were a bit unhappy as this car rode kind of stiff. They were in their early 60's at the time. It was charcoal in color, had the 5.0 with a 4 speed auto overdrive. It had Goodyear Eagle GT tires and different rims kind of soft flexible parts. I remember crawling under it and noticing a tag on the front sway bar the said Mustang!
    I drove the car on quite a few occasions and Iit worked really good. Tight handling, peppy for that time frame, and different. I can't remember the hp ratings but I'm thinking 157 or 165 or 175, can't recall. He owned the car for 4 years, we put rear winter wheels/tires on it for the winter and with the posi it was something like a mustang in the snow. It was a fun ride, can't remember how fast I pushed it one day but it got down the road.
    He traded the car in 1989 for a t-bird at Evangline Ford in Kentville N S. I don't know what ever happened to that car but after reading how rare they are makes me feel kind of happy to have ordered, driven and cared for one. I would definitely like to have it now, must see if I can locate some pictures of it for a good keep sake.b

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Pics? I'm wondering about more pics.
    Haven't taken many pics because, other than a boatload of cleaning I haven't made a lot of progress yet. The parts car LTD in southern Ohio didn't pan out but I now have a line on a parts car '86 LTD in South Carolina.

What kind of parts do you need?
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
    What kind of parts do you need?
    All 4 doors, a deck lid, a hood, a right fender, an intact headliner backing panel, and a left outside power mirror, among other things. Would probably just be easier to find a complete LTD or Marquis to part out.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    All 4 doors, a deck lid, a hood, a right fender, an intact headliner backing panel, and a left outside power mirror, among other things. Would probably just be easier to find a complete LTD or Marquis to part out.
    Agree, a parts car would be best although am not sure the mirrors will be correct.

I am restoring mine in central CT, and painting/edging in panels at a friends body shop in NJ in the fall. I may have a spare hood, drivers side front and passenger side rear doors. I also have extra mirrors, etc.

There was someone in southern Michigan that had four mint low mile doors in black (electric) drop me a PM and I'll try to get his info for you. The $1 white LTD LX roller ended up in southwest MI last I knew.
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Update:
    Haven't made much progress other than parts acquisition and cleaning... lots and lots of cleaning... my, oh my, was this poor car DIRTY! Did, however pick up a nice solid but tired '84 LTD parts car last weekend. Still need to locate some parts that my LTD lacks due to it being a 3.8L car.

Congrats on the find. It would be great to see some pics.

There is an LTD for sale in WI that appears to be solid if you're looking for another parts car. I can find the link if you need it.

Interested in that link, as I'm having second thoughts about parting out my "parts car" LOL. I still have a 41k Mountaineer 5.0 and a T5 sitting around, and...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast