Close

Default Drum Brake Rebuild

Alright, did some searching an can't find what I'm looking for. Did the 8.8 swap this week an the axle had been left out in the elements without drums for a few years, breaks intact. I've got the new hardware kit an shoes, but this half circle metal clip that the cable runs on inside of the drum dosen't want to play nice, what the heck am I missing here? I have another axle to pull parts off of and use as a diagram, can anyone walk me through this? Here's a few pics
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  156.2 KB
Size:  167.1 KB
Size:  191.1 KB
    It's a 79 Capri with an 8.8 from a late 80's early 90's mustang. Did the full ill-advised upper an lower control arm swap, chalking it up to having to pee on the fence for myself!
    No pic of the clip, it's a half moon looking thing with a tab on each end that attaches to the rear shoe.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-23-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

it is held on by the green spring. Here's a driver side side pic. iirc I hooked the cable on the bottom, fed it around,and pulled it onto the top with the white still spring off. i know usually people put the cable behind both springs, but found having it between the two was much easier because then the little 1/2 circle stays seated. i have about 4k miles since doing this still with no squeaks or issues and everything is working still working great. i've always done it like that.
    Last edited by rob342; 05-23-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

Excellent, too much rust inside to see what was going on! Thanks for the info and the pic!