Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quieter mufflers

So I must be getting old or something...
    My current exhaust consists of BBK shorties, BBK off road H-pipe, and flowmaster 40's.
    I love the sound and tone at idle, but find it way too loud and shrill while accelerating and driving higher rpms. The drone at highway speeds has gotten old fast too. I was going to suck it up, as I welded my nice polished tailpipes to the mufflers like an idiot. But it's to the point where I don't really enjoy driving as much, plus I feel like an abnoxious teenager when I'm running through the gears even at normal rpms.
    Any suggestions on something in a magnaflow etc. that sounds less aggressive?
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/

I have these on my 85. My 83 has the 40 Flowmaster, I know what you mean.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    So I must be getting old or something...
    My current exhaust consists of BBK shorties, BBK off road H-pipe, and flowmaster 40's.
    I love the sound and tone at idle, but find it way too loud and shrill while accelerating and driving higher rpms. The drone at highway speeds has gotten old fast too. I was going to suck it up, as I welded my nice polished tailpipes to the mufflers like an idiot. But it's to the point where I don't really enjoy driving as much, plus I feel like an abnoxious teenager when I'm running through the gears even at normal rpms.
    Any suggestions on something in a magnaflow etc. that sounds less aggressive?
    Well unless you go back to stock system (Walker makes OEM replacement including cat'ed H pipe) your stuck with drone at highway speeds and more noise when your accelerate. Also the 2 & 1/2 inch systems tend to resonate more than the standard 2 & 1/4 pipes. I changed from a complete Magnaflow system which had a really bad drone at 60 mph back to a stock system when restoring my 93 Cobra and its much better. Also seemed to have better response with a little more back pressure in the system.
    Last edited by k98dave; 05-21-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Dave

84 SVO # 110 (SOLD)
    86 LX
    93 Cobra # 2100

I run Flowtech Raptors on my 83L. The drone on them is between 800 - 1100 rpm so I'm out of the range going down the road. The only draw back is they have a center exit.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

I use the Dynomax Super Turbo on my car. It has a nice sound, but not obnoxious.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17733
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I have found that an X pipe seems to help with the drone over the normal H pipe.

I personally like the Magnaflow mufflers in regards to sound level and tone. They are generally quieter than Flowmasters and others, but still have a nice deep tone or resonance when you accelerate.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My Walkers have a nice low rumble, as rpms go up they seem to mellow out. I think they are great. I would post a video, but engine is not in the car.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 05-22-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Dynomax Ultra Flo vs Walker Muffler Comparison - …: http://youtu.be/mhORA4sqZP4

I think this comparison says a lot of Walkers. Keep in mind that this is with dumps.
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 05-22-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Another option in this link.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html

17 pages of questions and answers. I might try it some day if I ever see the need to quiet my cars down.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    Another option in this link.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html

17 pages of questions and answers. I might try it some day if I ever see the need to quiet my cars down.

Jess
    That's cool! Never seen that before.

I've seen plumbing in buildings which had stub pipes with caps on the ends branched off, in order to limit vibrations and plumbing noises.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Right on.
    Thanks guys. I did do a search on here and the corral. Didn't see that one, Jess, thanks. All the YouTube vids I've watched with all kinds of combos seem to result in similarily loud exhaust notes too.
    I have a set of magnaflow cats in my basement that I'm going to put in first and see if that helps a bit. Even with a tune and everything dialed in, it still smells a bit. I didn't really want to put them in, but if it takes care of both issues with a little loss of power it'll be worth it as I don't want to tear out an exhaust with only 3k miles on it either. I'll let you know how it goes..
    Last edited by danco86; 05-22-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

What kind of carberator do you have? Never mind, I see you have an 86....
    Last edited by 83gtstang; 05-22-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Yeah, got the A/F ratio set up on the dyno. But still, and even with the charcoal canister, I can smell the exhaust. Not as bad as before, but in comparison.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

The cats should help on both fronts. I know that when the converter rusted off on my beater, and I straight-piped it, it got louder and the exhaust smelled like a lawn mower. And I've read the same of these cars.

You've put 3000 miles on it already?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I have the Dynomx vt mufflers on my gt and I love them. When your cruising the exhaust is almost dead quiet and when you step on it. It gives a great sound.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I use the Dynomax Super Turbo on my car. It has a nice sound, but not obnoxious.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17733
    I have Dynomax 2.5 muffs (not sure which one, might be turbos)) and I've been told car was "too quiet" at the track .
    I love it though, the word drone has never crossed my mind at any rpm/speed.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by 86MustangGtRob View Post
    I have the Dynomx vt mufflers on my gt and I love them. When your cruising the exhaust is almost dead quiet and when you step on it. It gives a great sound.
    +1 - I did these a few years ago and love them too. Write-up with pics/vids and decibel comparisons...

http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....iewfortheCapri

Another vote for Dynomax, I have them on my 88 5.0 and they sound great are are not loud or have a heavy drone.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I didn't have a converter so I put a resonator in it's place along with the Dynomax Super Turbo. The car sounds great, no loud and obnoxious drone. I have a convertible and I like to be able to talk to people in the car and listen to the radio.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Well, sounds like the dynomax line may be the way to go. The car had a pair of dynomax turbos on it, that had been on it since '89. I can't remember how they sounded, but everything else was bone stock anyways. It would be nice if I could salvage the tailpipes though.
    And yes, I've put 3000 miles on it already since last summer, but of those, only the last 150 have been completely without issue and carefree. It's quite a rewarding feeling after almost a year of chasing gremlins and aggravation.
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Let us know how it goes. I too must be getting "Mature". I run MAC 2.5 inch with no Cats, out the back. I like the sounds but after an hour drive I can't hear myself think. You can hear it coming a mile up the road. But it sounds nice so nice... I just can't handle it for long periods any more.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Dan,
    Let us know how the Dynomax work out. When I used them, I had the 2 1/2" motorsport offroad pipe (H pipe) and then 2 1/4" Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and tail pipes. After 20 minutes, I would need something for a headache because of the drone at 50 mph/80 kph. Perhaps the answer would have been as as simple as putting the cats back on.

In the end, I went to different headers, Bassani x pipe with high flow cats and the Flowmaster "Force II" system with 3 chamber mufflers. Now I can talk in the car at highway speeds with the windows down and drive all day with no head aches.
    Rob

The "I'm getting older" thing hit me recently as well. I removed the large three chamber flowmasters off of my Mach 1 and installed some Borla Pro XS mufflers. I was quite surprised how much quieter they are for a straight through style muffler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3TcWMKgbA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZg01HU5g4g

I know that having a crossover of some type reduces noise a few decibels because I've added them after the fact and it's easily noticeable.

I had a single Dynomax 3" system on my SVO but thought it was too ricey sounding. I installed dual 2.5" flowmasters and the tone was much deeper and quieter. No drone from a turbo car though.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

This thread has some great information, and I really like the video comparisons, too. Wish I could find comparisons on N/A 2.3L setups. I may have to try and talk one of the local shops into doing some comparison videos.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

It is so hard to decide based without hearing and driving these systems in person.
    Rob, I still watch your the exhaust clips you sent me awhile back, as Bassani is still not out of the question, I'd contemplate the quiet thunders, but have heard that they drone a little still. But those polished 3" slash cut tailpipes are the nicest I've seen! However to go the whole setup would be in $1600CDN range.. If I spent that and still found them too loud, I'd be pretty po'd.
    I think what is making this move the hardest is that because I welded my tailpipes to the mufflers, there is no going back once I cut them out. I've had the whole exhaust in and out twice, and the only reason I welded them is because the tailpipes always managed to move and vibrate against the car. I guess I coulda just tacked them on. Still contemplating...
    Dan

1986 Mustang GT Cobra

Daily drivers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast