Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default 1979-82 Trim Moldings Illustrations

Hi there. Matt from NPD and I have been looking at the finding the correct fasteners for door trim on the 79-82.

This is what Ford says they use.

So, it looks like they use two different fasteners. ZF and ZG. I know that the ZG is used 6 of these, however, it looks like 1 ZF is used too.

For the rear side window it looks like it uses ZH and ZF fasteners.

Has anyone removed these?

Thanks
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-18-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Sponsor: Restoration Related Matt@NPD's Avatar

David,

Thanks for putting this up! If anyone has more information on this please feel free to let me or David know. If you have any pictures please feel free to post them up as well. They can sometimes be worth a million words.
    MATTHEW LASZAIC
    Ford Product Manager
    900 SW 38th Ave.
    Ocala, FL 34474
    800-976-1117 x4209 direct
    352-861-8709 fax
    407-375-5739 cell
    mlaszaic@npdlink.com
    www.npdlink.com <http://www.npdlink.com>
    Follow us on:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nation...49245908487308www.twitter.com/NPDLink

Ford Equipment:
    1994 Mustang Cobra ( Stock)
    2003 Ford Lightning ( Not Stock)

On my Pace Car there were the 6 ZG clips that push into plastic retainers in the top of the door shell. The single ZF was at the back of the door with the nut being accessible in the door jamb or back of the door shell.

Again on my Pace Car the rear quarter window trim used 4 clips with the nuts that were accessible through the opening below the rear quarter window on the interior after removal of the plastic interior panel. I didn't notice a difference in the clips, but I believe all of my nuts has the sealant on them.

Hope that helps.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

Our early San Jose coupe had all seven as the type ZG that slid into the round barrels. Some of them broke as I was removing them. I ordered replacements from FoxResto but have yet to use them. http://www.foxresto.com/product-p/2279008.htm Neither side had the ZF on our car. I cannot guarantee they haven't been off sometime in the car's past but with low mileage I'm doubting it.

Name:  IMG_4947.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7379.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  89.1 KB

The trim piece under the quarter window used similar fasteners to the ZG but they are actually narrower than the door ones. They also had a small foam-like gasket on them.

Name:  IMG_7380.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  106.6 KBName:  IMG_7381.jpg
Size:  82.7 KBName:  IMG_7382.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  92.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Supporter

The passenger quarter window bottom trim was fastened differently. I think they improvised on the line as the trim was physically slid onto this rivet-like thing similar to how the ZG fastener slides into the trim. It kind of looks like the head of a nail.

Name:  IMG_4990.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  111.7 KBName:  IMG_7374.jpg
Size:  74.4 KBName:  IMG_7375.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  59.1 KB

My plan is to use the replacement fasteners that I picked up for all of them. It looks like I will have to trim these ones to be narrower to fit the quarter moldings as shown in the previous post..

I remember when I removed the outer door molding on m convertible, most of the clips broke. I had already bought a new set of clips, but when I got to the last clip at the front edge of the door, the clip was too wide for the molding, so it must have been the narrower version of ZG that went there. I just used some wire snips to trim the sides down until it fit.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    The passenger quarter window bottom trim was fastened differently. I think they improvised on the line as the trim was physically slid onto this rivet-like thing similar to how the ZG fastener slides into the trim. It kind of looks like the head of a nail.

Name:  IMG_4990.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  111.7 KBName:  IMG_7374.jpg
Size:  74.4 KBName:  IMG_7375.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  59.1 KB

My plan is to use the replacement fasteners that I picked up for all of them. It looks like I will have to trim these ones to be narrower to fit the quarter moldings as shown in the previous post..

Great Post Darran - Thanks!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Our early San Jose coupe had all seven as the type ZG that slid into the round barrels. Some of them broke as I was removing them. I ordered replacements from FoxResto but have yet to use them. http://www.foxresto.com/product-p/2279008.htm Neither side had the ZF on our car. I cannot guarantee they haven't been off sometime in the car's past but with low mileage I'm doubting it.

Name:  IMG_4947.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7379.jpg
Size:  89.1 KB

The trim piece under the quarter window used similar fasteners to the ZG but they are actually narrower than the door ones. They also had a small foam-like gasket on them.

Name:  IMG_7380.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  106.6 KBName:  IMG_7381.jpg
Size:  82.7 KBName:  IMG_7382.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  92.0 KB
    Fantastic - this is the kind of stuff we need! Thank you!
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-19-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Sponsor: Restoration Related Matt@NPD's Avatar

OK! Let me start off by say WOW! I cant explain how much I love working with this stuff and how getting things correct is a passion of mine.

With that said. Darran if you have some time could you please give me a call I would love to talk more with you about this. The smaller ZG style clips on the rear molding is very very interesting to me. It really makes me throw my hands up in the air and say well what the heck was Ford thinking? LOL I might have a source for the smaller ZG style clips but would need to get one in my hand to compare to the reproductions units I might be able to get. But would really like to have a few other people chime in on this and see what they think. I would love to be able to make a correct style kits for both the front moldings and the rear molding.

The one and only question I have if there was no spring style clip what would keep the moldings from beings able to just slide right off?

I noticed that Trey said that his moldings were like what Ford was saying was correct. If so I have a source for the correct style nuts that are used with the sealant on them and I might have a source for the flat style spring clips as well. But again I would love to have original samples in my hand to compare.

Let's see what else we come up with?

Thanks,
    MATTHEW LASZAIC
    Ford Product Manager
    900 SW 38th Ave.
    Ocala, FL 34474
    800-976-1117 x4209 direct
    352-861-8709 fax
    407-375-5739 cell
    mlaszaic@npdlink.com
    www.npdlink.com <http://www.npdlink.com>
    Follow us on:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nation...49245908487308www.twitter.com/NPDLink

Ford Equipment:
    1994 Mustang Cobra ( Stock)
    2003 Ford Lightning ( Not Stock)

I bought a couple of NOS ZG and ZF fasteners. I compared these to the reproduction ones.

Back side

Front side

Side

Back side with flash

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-21-2015 at 08:23 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

FEP Supporter

David did those NOS plastic fasteners come with the other half that goes into the body or the door (the barrel piece)? The ZF ones you got are a lot narrower than the ZG also.

I thought I would go over to where our other San Jose '79 coupe is parked (down the alley in a neighbors garage) and take a look at the moldings and fasteners on it. I took some soft prys with me to see if I could easily remove part or all of them. No go easily on the molding under the quarter window and I really didn't have any initiative to start pulling interior quarter panels off at this time on this one.

Name:  IMG_7383.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  84.6 KB

The back fastener on the door molding is definitely a ZG type though and I would have to assume all seven would be. I would also have to assume this had not been modified to change to the ZG from the ZF. This would contradict what Trey said about his Pace Car. Maybe it is a San Jose thing versus a Dearborn thing in '79. That or they upgraded somewhere along the lines to the ZF?? My 73-79 parts book .PDF("Final Issue Nov. '88 ) has the same images you posted in the OP.

Name:  IMG_7386.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  49.8 KBName:  IMG_7385.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  36.3 KB

Darran

Send me your address via PM and I will send you a ZF to see if it will fit with the moulding by the rear side window.

Unfortunately neither came with the barrel nut. It is a separate part number which is discontinued. Did you talk to Matt? He could copy your barel if you want. It's your call.

This is the Barrel Nut - this may be wrong, guessing

These cars are like a puzzle for sure! Thanks for your help!

David
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-21-2015 at 09:09 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

FYI my Pace Car is a San Jose build. I won't guarantee that my driver side clips were OEM as the car was wrecked early and had a replacement door installed that had both door handle cut outs. It's been several years since I removed the trim pieces, but IF my memory is correct I remember both sides being the same clips. I did replace the door clips with the kit from Fox Resto, but again IIRC, I reused the rear quarter panel clips since they were different than the front clips. I can update when I finally get around to repainting my PC.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

My 79 doesn't even have that trim on it. Must have been an optional item. Mine was a really plain car originally.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    My 79 doesn't even have that trim on it. Must have been an optional item. Mine was a really plain car originally.
    Interesting. Our early 79 is pretty base. Never even came with a radio but it had the trim on it.

David and Matt. I am looking for the original barrel fittings that wer eon the car. With many of the ZG's breaking off and them being a pain to remove esily I know I popped some of them down into the door.

I found these remnants in a bag with my door locks and keepers. I must have scooped them out of the bottom of the door afterwards. I'll keep looking around for the other originals!

Name:  IMG_7437.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  186.8 KBName:  IMG_7438.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  105.1 KBName:  IMG_7439.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  183.1 KBName:  IMG_7440.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  165.8 KB

This thread has a lot of great information in it I hadn't even considered. Thanks for posting those pictures, Darran, and thanks to all the other contributors, too.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

79mustangcobra asked me to chime in on this, so I will try to help, if I can. A lot of people out there will tell you that all the doors (79-93) are basically the same. I guess if basically means they will all fit in the same hole then there is truth to that. However, I have come to realize there are many differences between doors of different years. I replaced my 79 cobra doors with an 82 drivers door and a 93 passenger door. I have been saving the 82 door for at least 25 years. I know the car the 82 came off and it did not have all the holes across the top of the door where the moldings go. I know the rear hole is there for sure. The 82 is a Dearborn door and I am sure of it. I am fairly sure I checked the 79 doors (Dearborn) and they also did not have all the holes. I ended up filling most of the holes in the 93 door with weld so the door would be the same as the 79 & 82 doors and the moldings from the 79 Cobra would work without water leaking through the unused holes. As for what retains the moldings, I am not sure. I will look at the originals When I get home from work today. I will try to get some pics and post them as soon as possible. The pics will show if my memory is accurate.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnake View Post
    79mustangcobra asked me to chime in on this, so I will try to help, if I can. A lot of people out there will tell you that all the doors (79-93) are basically the same. I guess if basically means they will all fit in the same hole then there is truth to that. However, I have come to realize there are many differences between doors of different years. I replaced my 79 cobra doors with an 82 drivers door and a 93 passenger door. I have been saving the 82 door for at least 25 years. I know the car the 82 came off and it did not have all the holes across the top of the door where the moldings go. I know the rear hole is there for sure. The 82 is a Dearborn door and I am sure of it. I am fairly sure I checked the 79 doors (Dearborn) and they also did not have all the holes. I ended up filling most of the holes in the 93 door with weld so the door would be the same as the 79 & 82 doors and the moldings from the 79 Cobra would work without water leaking through the unused holes. As for what retains the moldings, I am not sure. I will look at the originals When I get home from work today. I will try to get some pics and post them as soon as possible. The pics will show if my memory is accurate.

Kirk
    Thanks Kirk!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

OK so I looked at the doors and here is what I found. The door off the 82 GT has no holes so it apparently never had those moldings.
    I went into my garage attic and found the original 79 Cobra doors and I found that I had never removed those moldings.
    When I reached inside the doors I found that sure enough the retainers were poking through holes in the door.
    I'll have to crawl up there and try to make some space so I can take them off.
    I'll need to drill holes in the replacement doors to fit them.
    It could take me a few days to get to it but when I do I will post pics for you.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk!!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

About 5 years ago this guy was taking his car to get crushed. I asked him before he did if I coujd buy the trim off it.
    I looked tonight and the door trim and the Qtr trim still had the fastners.

Looks like there are seven that go on the door and two for the rear Qtr window trim.

Here are the fastners.

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

FEP Supporter

Interesting David. Ours for the quarter window were different and neither had the ZF with the "thread". I never saw the square one before either.

I saw these on eBay. Too bad no barrels: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261882448042?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I also saw these available in bulk. They look like they "could" work better than the other repros as they look to "lock" in. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221655157366?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

FEP Supporter

Oh and for the record, even though the base Tangerine coupe was pretty plain, the Marti report said it came with the "Exterior decor group" if that means it got the extra trim on it. The blue coupe was a Ghia and may have came with it standard.

FEP Supporter

I think I found what we are looking for! D7VY-6050074-A

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-1970s...item27eeb9d6c3

Why an American seller is advertising on the Australian site is beyond me but he won't ship to Canada.

David, you have to buy them, they are on sale even! (By the way, I need 15 of them now )

I think I found what we are looking for! D7VY-6050074-A

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-1970s...item27eeb9d6c3

Why an American seller is advertising on the Australian site is beyond me but he won't ship to Canada.

David, you have to buy them, they are on sale even! (By the way, I need 15 of them now )
    I just bought these. Great find! Let's hope they are right
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast