Close

New User

Question 84-vert back windows off track

Hey guys, I have a 1984-vert. The back driver's side window is not going into place. When I shut the door, you can see a large gap. To close the gap, I have to pull the window up and forward to close the gap. this reduces the size of the gap, but does not fully resolve the gap issue. Will someone please tell me what is the best way to correct this problem and HOW--not yelling, emphasizing-- to do so. I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Mike, is this a recent problem? The rear.quarter Windows don't have a "track" per se, but they do have a tube that they slide down that holds them in line. The bracket that holds the bottom of the tube in place is made of plastic, which can break over time. You'll have to pull the back seat and the quarter trim panel to check things out and see what's going on. If the bracket isn't the problem, it just may be out of adjustment. If you do a forum search, you can find discussion threads about adjusting the rear quarter windows.

Check this video out...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jK6NQkk3ftA
    Last edited by Gemini1999; 05-17-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

They might also have bushings which go between the tube and the metal bracket riveted to the glass, like the ones in the doors?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    They might also have bushings which go between the tube and the metal bracket riveted to the glass, like the ones in the doors?
    The rear quarter windows do have those same bushings, so you'll want to check to see if they need replacing.
    Bryan

New User

It has manual windows---not power. Does this make a difference in solving the problem? Thanks.

Not when it comes to checking the bushings and the guide rod. The only thing that's different is a hand crank versus the motor.
    Bryan

From what I remember with my manual windows when I replaced them there is a stop adjustment. This makes since by you stating having to pull the window forward...but not up. My drivers side back window has a gap if rolled all the way up but I simply lower it about a little and it goes right into place.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

New User

thanks for the replies guys