Close

Thread: T3 turbo

Default T3 turbo

Am looking for a new or NOS turbo for my 85 svo , no rebuilt's had mine rebuilt late last fall took her out for a drive she broke , rebuilder will not stand behind his work.
    IF ITS FORD POWERED YOU GOT TO LOVE IT

I am in the same boat as you. What is the easiest way to get the turbo off?

For me I pull the manifold and the turbo together, I found it much quicker simpler.

Have you tried Evergreen Turbo? I recall in the past that being a good source if you need to go rebuilt in case you can't find NOS. Thinking NOS will be very difficult to find.

I have emailed them. $350 for rebuild but I live in Canada so conversion and shipping I mine as well buy a new one that will work.

Where would you get a new one?

FEP User

Finding a New or NOS unit is going to be tough, which means it will also be out of your 3-400$ price range. especially since you would be looking for the SVO compressor housing, which is different from the other TC/Merkur compressor housings. not to mention if your T3 has the .63 or .48 A/R exhaust housing.

I was told this from my turbo rebuilder here in NJ, so forgive me if it turns out to be inaccurate.

I had bought a secondhand T3 from someone online who claimed it came from an 86 TC. my rebuilder used this information to get the replacement parts and rebuilt the unit. when i got it back and installed, found it would not build boost (or very little), and immediately threw it back on the rebuilder. we traded some phone calls, but long story short, he showed me parts catalogs for Garret parts, in which he pointed out there were dozens, if not pages of different shaft seals, compressor wheels, etc, for a Garrett T3, depending on the make/model, and year it was produced, OR given it has a certain size wheel or shaft. We discovered that there was a parts mismatch somewhere (Via a ghetto rebuild), and he spent the next few weeks blueprinting the entire assembly, did some machining to compensate for obsolete/ backordered parts, and reassembled everything.

Because of this incident, my rebuilder told me he wont take anymore of those rebuild jobs, because it was a headache to do it the right way. i am very satisfied with the performance of the turbo now. the first rebuild ran me 250, the second(after splitting the difference) was another 200.

Hope this helps.

Crazy that you guys has issues with rebuilt turbos...

Either way I did a write-up in changing the gasket - which includes removing the turbo of course. Overall wasn't too bad.

http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....anifoldRemoval

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Crazy that you guys has issues with rebuilt turbos...

Either way I did a write-up in changing the gasket - which includes removing the turbo of course. Overall wasn't too bad.

http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....anifoldRemoval
    Great write up!! Thanks. I'll make sure to share the info with others looking to do the same.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newby81 View Post
    I have emailed them. $350 for rebuild but I live in Canada so conversion and shipping I mine as well buy a new one that will work.
    Evergreen is the way to go, They do great work and stand by it. I doubt there are any "new" ones out there.
    Dave

84 SVO # 110 (SOLD)
    86 LX
    93 Cobra # 2100

Well, there is at least -one- new one still out there.

Only heard good things about Evergreen.

I guess I will get evergreen to rebuild mine when ready. Thanks for every body's help.