Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Septic tank is empty but also has a mass of roots they are having to remove. The house was closed up for seven years so I'm not at all surprised. I'm very glad they're having to do the work and I'm getting my money's worth today. They said they'll be finished by tomorrow with the whole new septic field. The existing tank is in good shape so it is just be re-conditioned. That's a mass of roots where the main feeder line came out the side of the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Fearnot View Post
    We built our house 22 years ago and have never had a deck/patio. That all changed in the last week. Now my wife has the deck she always wanted along with lots and lots of mulch and flowers and stuff! The pool has a new liner. She has always reminded me that the garage is the same square footage as the house. Now; I could be content and be happy that she's happy but....maybe garage addition?
    I see you went from 6 steps at the same level down to three. Those look like pretty BIG steps too. I think I might rethink that but I love the design of the deck and the mix of pressure and Composite. Nice. Even the two colors look good.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

i turned my ac thermostat to 70°

I've been replacing a couple sections of the horse fence. Last weekend I replaced most of one stretch on Saturday. Sunday morning all three of our horses were missing!. It took a couple hours, but we found them. They had made their way to someone else's pasture and, fortunately, that person shut them in. I had failed to move the gate to the new section of fence and they walked between the old section and new section and right on out.
    Brian Leavitt
    '86 TC 5-Speed -- LA3 - no ACT | Big VAM | T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller +4 degrees| Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Gillis @17psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear | '03 Cobra Wheels | Working on installing MS2x w/COP
    '87 TC 5-Speed -- Stock
    '66 Mustang Coupe -- Stock

A bit of cleanup in the yard. Two years ago I cut down 3 big walnut trees that were in the yard and piled the wood from them along the back fence.

My thoughts were that I'd let the wood season then give it to somebody who had a wood burner. As it turned out I had a hard time giving it away, probably because some of the bigger pieces would need split to useable size.

I'm going to be replacing the 30 year old stockade fence behind the wood pile with chain link and really wanted that wood gone. I was able to make a deal with a former coworker who I knew burned wood in his outdoor furnace. I told him I will load the wood in my pickup and bring it to his house if he would take it. He has a splitter so the big pieces weren't a concern to him. Finally I have somebody who will take this wood off my hands. I never thought it would be that hard to get rid of.

There will probably be 6-8 loads till I'm done and it's a lot of work loading/unloading, but at least it will be gone.

After living in this house 36 years I think I'm finally about done clearing trees. I've lost count but would say I've removed at least 30 over the years, and some of them have been very large. The entire yard was pretty much woods when we moved in but now there's only one tree left in the backyard.

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I have 5 stupid maple trees in the yard and this year they dropped butt loads of their little helicopter seeds all over the place wreaking havoc on my gutter guards. They fit just perfectly in the holes of the gutter guards and every single hole was plugged causing a major backup of water during the last rain. Got up on the roof and removed the gutter guards and cleaned the gutters and downspouts. Left the gutter guards out as further inspection revealed that they are causing more damage then they are preventing due to the way they mount. Found 90% of the roof decking by the gutters is rotten or spongy........looks like I will have to re-roof the house this year before winter.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    That's a really pretty -- and comfortable-looking -- setting. I can just see romping around there with a dog and a frisbee.
    That lawn would also be great for croquet. My family and I used to play lawn croquet a lot. I need to get the croquet set out and see if I'm still good at it.
    Thumbs up!

Funny you should mention romping with a dog. This is Zeus the first day we got him. He was adopted from a shelter where he'd been born. Until we got him he'd lived most of his life in a cage. Do you think he likes having a place to stretch his legs?

We must be of similar mind because we've also played a lot of croquet. We'd sometimes set up what we called the professional course where the wickets would utilize the entire back yard, making the course huge. We also played tough guy rules, no moving the ball a mallet length from an obstacle, you played it where it laid. If that meant getting down on the ground and using the handle of the mallet like a pool cue when the ball rolled under something, so be it. This was in our younger days when we had a party, and alcohol was definitely involved. We haven't played croquet for years but I know the set's around here somewhere, may have to get it out for old times sake.
    408/T5/3.73's

Attachment 85824

Came home to this today. 18 x 18 stamped and stained patio done a couple weeks ago. Pergola started this a.m.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

so a few weeks ago my wife asks me what I want to fathers day. It had been a pretty busy week at work, and the reality id that I don't really "need" anything.

I laughed and told her that what I'd really like was more time

2 days later as I'm heading to work a landscape trailer pulls up in front of the house. The guy had done some work for me when we first move in 2 years ago so I ask what's going on..

He tells me (in his Spanish/Puerto Rician accent) "Happy Father's Day. Your wife hires us to take care of everything outside the house this year"

all the cutting, trimming, weeding and in the winter, snow plowing DONE!

I got the gift of time, I figure it's roughly 100 free hours to do something I like instead of things I NEED to do

SO I haven't done ANYTHING for 2 weeks

Ok. FINALLY done!!!!!!!!
    Wow, what a major pain. Original plan was executed poorly by the contractor who didn't like input from the customer and quit. This wasn't a case of complainig too much. This was pointing out crappy quality control over the work. Over 30 nails failed to hit their target on the other side of a 2" x 2", extremely poor choice of material....... piss poor quality of a worker that wasn't supervised. End result.....Attachment 88175

What is not visible in the pic is the top layer of wood. Idiot used pine (indoor wood) and after 6 coats of white paint, coverage was shotty at best. After contractor quit, my wife hired a friend to help out.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Thumbs up

After about a week and a half -two weeks, the project has been redone. Douglas fir ended up being wood of choice. ALL PINE was scrapped. Wife and I spent days (her) and nights (me) staining the Douglas fir with a cedar stain. Our friend did an incredible job turning the disappointment into.......
    Attachment 88177

This made the wife super happy.
    Last edited by conmech; 07-24-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I have 5 stupid maple trees in the yard and this year they dropped butt loads of their little helicopter seeds all over the place wreaking havoc on my gutter guards. Found 90% of the roof decking by the gutters is rotten or spongy........looks like I will have to re-roof the house this year before winter.
    Trees are GREAT just not around the house!

I built my house in 2001 on 11 acres that had just one tree on the whole damn property. PERFECT!!!!

I can put trees where "I" want them and that means not one tree near the house for just the reason you speak of. 14 years and no gutter cleaning and no roof issues.

Looks like it might be time to get out the chainsaw when you re-roof the house!

I wish you well with your repair!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Installed a new water heater last week. Hired a contractor to rehab the bathroom starting Monday. I can do the things that only take a day or so, but I can't have the bathroom down for weeks at a time.

conmech - aka Marshall

Attachment 88228

Along with the back yard, the wife has been doing up the front yard in low maintenance landscaping.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Attachment 88229

Rubber mulch. Animals basically avoid this stuff.

Attachment 88230
    conmech - aka Marshall

Finally got the backyard coming together

Bit the bullet and paid to have sod installed. The seed route just wasn't having good results.

Got a few things left to do like the retaining wall hillside and get the patio cover done which I am going have professionally done with that new Alumawood which I have already priced ($13,000 for what I want done ) and then I'm going to take a much needed break from house work and start working on the Capri again. Not going to do the Koi pond for about 6-7 years due to the lousy kids playset LOL

Also got the boat in its' place on the side of the house in the new RV parking area, talk about a shoe horn moment LOL

Unfortunately I didn't take into consideration the temperature difference between my new house in the high desert and at the beach in Channel Islands where I had it originally stored for several years. I never had to worry about freezing cold temps. I now need to spend $1000 getting new manifolds because the other ones took damage last winter in the 20-30 degree weather.

I know 20-30 degrees doesn't sound cold to you east coast guys and gals but that is pretty cold here in California. At the beach towns here it rarely gets below 40.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Hey Hemlock, how is your grass so green, and you have a fountain too! I thought you guys didn't have any water out there?

I wouldn't want to be backing that boat into that space too often. That is certainly a tight fit.
    408/T5/3.73's

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Hey Hemlock, how is your grass so green, and you have a fountain too! I thought you guys didn't have any water out there?

I wouldn't want to be backing that boat into that space too often. That is certainly a tight fit.
    See my "drought tolerant" landscaping? Hemlock getting the water I'm not using.
    conmech - aka Marshall

The fountain runs on recycled water and I only have to top it up about once a week which is only around 30 or 40 gallons.

Actually I got a thank you letter from the water district this week for cutting my water usage so much. The thing is, most of the people following the rules to the letter for lawn watering are having a terrible time keeping their lawns green. I tried to follow the every other day watering rule last year and had a dead lawn and huge water bills trying to keep it alive! My neighbor across the street is watering his 2 times a night for 15-20 minutes per zone every other day and his lawn is almost brown. I am doing mine 2 times a night for 5 minutes per zone every day and my lawn looks fine. If you do the math, he is using a lot more water then me per month. Also my back lawn is fresh new sod so it still looks killer because it was professionally grown and fertilized properly. It is a little browner in the front because it is much older grass and I didn't fertilize it this year.

The bottom line is people are wasting much more water following the every other day rule, watering 3 times longer trying to keep their lawns green. It just doesn't make any sense to have people water that way!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I do not envy all of you in droughts. At the same time I have secretly wished for less water this year by just a little bit. We got 2 inches of rain in under an hour last Friday. We are around 10 inches so far this month and had upwards of 15 inches last month. For the last year we have been trying to remodel our master bath. We tiled a jetted tub into a large shower combo and are now in the middle of sheet rocking where the small shower used to be but thanks to all the rain and a small tornado we have had to refocus our efforts a couple different times to trying to keep the sunroom roof from leaking.
    '03 Explorer Limited
    '85 LX
    '85 Twister II
    '89 LX
    '98 v6
    '77 Mach 1.....and I still own them all.

Nice results all around.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Solar powered LED lighting for the pergola. The PERFECT chill spot

conmech - aka Marshall

Our house was built in 1942 to house war production employees making aircraft seats.
    The original product was Artdeco chairs made from square aluminum tubing.
    Been here since 1985, and have remodeled everything at least twice.
    The interior walls were originally 1/4 plywood. I am pulling down the ceiling in the other kitchen.
    It's a duplex, we have lived on one side since my in-laws had health problems.
    1940's rat's nest insulation and laid in battens falling on my head.
    It's what we do on vacation, work on the car,lawn, or house.
    Film at 11.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast