Close

Default 1980 Cobra - Idle speed increases when pumping brakes ??

Weird...if I pump the brakes rapidly when in park the idle speed will increase by 200 or 300 rpm and then settle back down.

Suspect maybe a leaky vacuum booster or vacuum leak ? I pulled off the check valve and it appears to be sealing OK.

I recently did some work on the lines and the brakes do still feel a slightly "spongy". Thought maybe they just needed a bit more bleeding but maybe this has something to do with it ?

Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

I've had cars do that. Never figured it out, never got worse, never caused any problems. My mark 8 did it, my mustang does it slightly, and my 2002 pt cruiser did it a lot.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

That generally an indication of a vacuum leak. Doesn't necessarily mean that the leak is the booster or it's line, but that there is a vacuum leak and when you push the brakes and the booster attempts to refill with vacuum the idle surges due to the vacuum loss. I would recommend checking all your lines and connections until you find the leak.

As for the brakes, I would recommend a full flush and bleeding of the brakes if they are mushy. That is an indication of air in the brake lines and needs to be bled out.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

probably normal, my 85 does the same thing, a bad booster or leak will typically make the pedal hard to push,
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

My other car, a 90 Integra, does the same thing and I've decided to call it normal.
    Besides, I got no good reason to pump the breaks real fast when I'm parked anyway.
    Thanks, Todd H.

My 84 GT has always done that.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanks for all the replies !!

I could not find any vacuum leaks and from all the responses I am thinking this may be a normal dynamic as well.

However I did finally bleed some more small air bubbles out of the system and the brakes are firm and working great now...on to the next problem

Cheers,

It's perfectly normal, other than perhaps being an indication that your idle mixture is a bit fat. Every time you stroke
    the brake pedal, the brake booster vents air into the assist side of the diaphragm, and when you release the pedal,
    that air must then be sucked out again. So in that sense, the brake booster is an intentional vacuum leak.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I would pump the brakes on my car for fun, the idle did go up. Not sure why, but be sure your master cylinder is not leaking fluid into your booster. This will be sucked up into the booster and through the vacuum lines into the intake and burn causing your engine to smoke. You can sometimes see a wet dribble down thebooster where the master cylinder and booster meet. You will often need to bleed the brakes and add brake fluid when this happens.

My truck has this issue, but truck would die if i didnt double pump it. never figured main source replaced head, carb, deleted all emissions and now sits at 750 all day.
    84 5.0 ( currently restoring)
    86 Toyota 4x4
    02 Lexus is300