Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baldwin was a Chevy dealer, but Motion Performance was a separate entity. Baldwin did little to nothing in terms of modifications; Joel Rosen at Motion simply used Baldwin as a conduit to gather customers in one convenient location. The cars were ordered through Baldwin and the delivered from there to Motion for the modifications, and from there to the customer. Aside from accepting the orders and assisting Rosen with selling the take-out engines, Baldwin had little to do with the process; in fact, Baldwin didn't even take the order for the mods. Once the order was placed for the base car, the customer was sent to Motion to place a separate order with Joel for the modifications. Even during the Baldwin/Motion relationship, Joel modified hundreds of cars of all makes post-sale, as well as pre-sale units from Chevy dealers other than Baldwin. He established a relationship similar to the Baldwin/Motion deal with a local Oldsmobile dealer, but the resulting Motion/Markowitz Olds deal was short lived, which is one of the reasons the Oldsmobiles are considerably less well known than their Chevrolet counterparts.

Anyway, the Baldwin/Motion association lasted from 67 through the mid-70’s, after which Joel continued modifying cars at Motion Performance well into the 80’s (Motion Monte Carlos, Grand Nationals, 3rd Gen Camaros, and Fox Mustangs were built, but very few survive today.) By the time this particular Camaro was built, Baldwin Chevrolet was long out of business, and the building was being used as a pharmacy.

I don’t care much for the body mods, either. By the mid-70’s, Motion’s body kits become a little too “ricer” for me.

Incidentally, the red Rambler pictured above is a 71 Matador Machine, one of three known survivors and the only restored example on the planet.
    Last edited by Droog; 05-04-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Wow, never heard of any of the other motion products! I'm intrigued by the Fox Mustangs and the Oldsmobiles. I guess they all got used up on the race track.

And I'd never heard of the Matador Machine. The Rebel Machine, yes. I figured it was a Rebel in a rarer paint scheme. If not all, then most of the Rebel Machines were white, with red and blue stripes. They were a pretty good-looking car, (especially for AMC) although AMC would sometimes go over the top with their graphics.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I've seen one real Motion Monte SS, an 85. Judith Rosen, Joel's wife, drove a Motion-prepped 87 Mustang GT convertible for years. It's still alive and in a collection on the east coast. I've never come across another Motion Fox, at least not one that could be documented. Same with the Oldsmobiles; I've never seen a real one.

On the AMC, the mid-size line's name was changed from Rebel to Matador in 71, so when you thought it was Rebel Machine, you weren't far off. The difference between the 70 and 71 Machine is that the Red, White and Blue paint scheme was dropped, and AMC forgot to tell anyone about them. No ads, no marketing, nothing. It's estimated that between 60 and 70 were built; almost none survive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12