Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i MIGHT be on to something here with the whole instrument cluster thing.
    http://www.rodauthority.com/news/dak...nnects-to-ecm/

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd895.htm

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...&article_id=25

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd752.htm

at very lest this should let me have my working factory looking dash.
    i got to read into it more. and see if with this i would still need the instrument cluster for the donor car.

Ford actually has a set up that does eliminate the OBD strictures on its crate engines.

That Ford is prepared to sells the package as non CARB, non EO, it means that it actually allows a FACTORY scaling back on the sensor protocols.

One example is the M-6017-20T Controls Pack available for some if custom vehicle builds. Its just for Ecoboost, but there is also the Coyote like Cammer DOHC, which has a similar factory work around.

Without it, you will throw codes with any post OBDI, post 1996 passenger or SUV car that doesn't have feeDback polling from whatever interactive sensor (eg the evaporative emissions, purge system, fuel flap, o2 sensors 3 and 4, the speedo calibration, the other 35 odd other one wire feedbacks that OBDII and the SAE came up with. So yeah, you need to keep the sensors intact, but it'll run fine if it codes it throws are not air fuel ratio matters.

I'd still use all sensors, and then do a cost benefit on the Dakota stuff. For fully funded Smog states that do IM tests, (CA, CO state cars etc), Dakota stuff is the is the shiznit!

ODBII is no longer the Spawn of S@+@n...its an SAE Remedy, not a freek-show Vaudevillian nightmare, or tantamount to going into the ring with Blackjack Mulligan, Mike Rotunda, and Uncle Kendall and Barry Windham and expecting to leave un-miamed...Post OBDI stuff has protocols and doesn't do crap randomly to kill and steal, but its a bit like HAL9000 if something happens to destroy the air fuel mapping...especially Fords Controls Pack's.

So if you allow it to do that job, you can go easy on the other non essential stuff. I will say this, though. All SAE fault coded OBD II systems consider everything to be rleated to emissions and serviceability, so its hard to go on a priority drive for critical sensors to keep. The point is, and engine mapped for a greater than 3500 pound Big Size Mustang will just love 2600 pounds of Fox, and if you restric the speedo calibrations to the factory gearing, your economy will skyrocket.

OBDII only has a valid emissions calibration for certain axle ratios, but if you peal back the weight from a engine swap from a known VIN sourced 2007 car or SUV, you can keep the box code ECM, and source a spare engine from the junkyard, and even swap the core engine from any other 4.0 Mustang to a Ranger or Explorer one from 1996 to 2011, and keep the electronics alive forever while doing sub 15's and 35 miles per gallon...

The 4.0 SOHC is the best engine swap because of the timing chains. A 215 hp GT40P engine is getting more wanted, and isn't 350 dollars for a block any more. A whole 4.0 SOHC and ECM price is collapsible below 350 because of the timing chain. Even with a manual gearbox, its still gonna be cheap, so it allows you the option of spending more on OBDII Work-Around gear.

I mapped my Explorer XLT 4.0, it cost me a 129 dollar plug in, and my son and I drove the South island monitoring air temperature and sparking advance, and never got below 20 US miles per gallon

http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65985

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy
    Been out data logging in my Explorer.

I'm lucky to be able to hire my son out to drive while I do the baseline runs, so I can hook into the data without getting distracted.

At present, my baseline is a 3.73 gear Explorer 4.0 SOHC with 27" Mud and Snow tires with about 4400 pounds all up. Hp 205, torque 250 lb-ft. It would be like 147 hp and 180 lb-fts in my 200/55 390 tire Fox Mustang, two up. I can vary the effective diff ratio of 2.41 or 3.43 depending on if I lock the overdrive off.

I'm currently emulating the ideal waste spark ignition advance curve for a heavy 9.7:1 compression engine with port on port induction. I was cruising along a few days back in Te Anau, and found the advance curve was right up to 36.5 degrees at even 2000 rpm at 55 mph; a stunning amount of lead on a heavy high compression vehicle running on just 87 octane. I want the a level of safe advance which creates good fuel economy,and I can't get that unless I use real world situations.

i'm really looking into the programmers and other stuff right now. i'll keep you all update as i get more info.
    and thank you alot xctasy you have been a grate help.

nothing much going on.
    i know what cars i'm looking for, for the project.
    #1 1979-1982 Mercury Capri. the RS would be the best. i think the 79-82 Mercury Capri RS looks bad @ss as all H3ll
    #2 1983-1986 Ford Mustang. the GT looks really good between 1985 and 86.
    #3 1979-1982 Ford Mustang. GT or Cobra would be nice.
    #4 1983-1986 Mercury Capri. if i have to. i don't like the bobble window.

as for the 4.0 SOHC. i'm at the point, all i can do is try. i think i can figure it out. but if not. i do have a back up plan. Tom Morana makes a carb kit for the 4.0 Sohc. and MSD has a stand alone ignition system that can run off the stock crank trigger and i can use the stock coil pack. but i'm going to try putting the whole 05-09 4.0 mustang EEC-V PCM and wire harness in first and see if i can do it first.

now time to start pricing things out.

PM me if your stuck.

Basically, you've got many options to get the whole SOHC shebang to run. I'm still looking for an earlier post on a 100% ODBII 2007 Baja or trophy 2wd Ranger. I might have gotton it confused with Chris's formerly 2.9 efi 88 Ranger with 2000 or 2001 4.0SOHC

The whole thing was brutally modified and ran an untriggered CEL with 100% stock parts.

QED, it can be done!

Its charlie_brown on http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/119213-3.htm

4 pages, page 3 covers the makeshift vss

the truck is indeed, but there might have been another. The posts follow the logic my NZ buddy uses, full EECV, do minimum to keep the non fault code triggers.

"charlie brown goes to baja.

Quote from Ted Nugent: As long as the idiots don’t like you, it proves you are not an idiot.
    my 4.0 sohc motor swap. http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/119213.htm"

i wish charlie brown would of kept the first gen front on it. but that's me. love my first gen rangers. i got an 87. just a 2.3.... and if i get an "up and running" Fox. i'm thinking i might put the Fox's engine into the ranger. if i can find a fox with a carb-ed turbo... that would be nice for my ranger.

and thank you for showing me the post. i think it will come in handy.
    and when i get started. i'll let you all know.

oh been looking at Capri's.
    ideally when i'm done she'll look something like this...
    but black from the body molding down and a pair of black racing strips. like i had in my old 65.Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  222.5 KBName:  m5lp_0605_03_z+1979_mercury_capri+front_view.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  61.3 KBName:  20763_104900852861325_2602701_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  38.7 KBName:  20763_104900856194658_6809146_n.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  33.7 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12