Close

Default 79 5.0 Mustang Ghia..still looking for info on strange tag on radiator support

Hey Folks.....

Been a while!! Still looking for info on the strange radiator tag on my 79 v8 Ghia. Posted about a year ago and have been able to find out what is means. Will post the picture of it again here. My guess would be August 16, 1978 was the first day of production in San Jose plant for 79 Mustangs and this was the 73rd off the line?? Any info would be cool!! Thanks!Name:  P1010266.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  134.8 KBName:  Door Tag.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  101.6 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]84169
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It could be that your car was the 73rd for that day. I don't know that Aug 16 was the first day for 1979 production to start. That seems kind of late. I have seen a Marti report for a Dearborn car, last six of VIN starting with 10xxxx, that was produced on Aug 17 and it said that was 16 days behind schedule. Aug 1st seems more like it for the start of production.

Have you considered getting a deluxe Marti report for your Ghia?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I have two other 1979 San Jose door tags with the same month/year printed on their door tag that yours has. 9R03F100378 and 9R03Z101505 both have 08-78 on their door tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Why is the tag there? Did they just do it for the very first production jobs?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I've never seen a tag like that before. Indeed, you need to get a Marti Report to see the Order Type. FoxChassis, do you know the Order Type on 9R03F100378 and 9R03Z101505? I wonder if any of these cars could be a pre-prod car or a marketing vehicle.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

I do not know the order type for either of those two VINs.

srdale56 did post the build sheet for this car. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1659040

It was a "stock" (dealer) order.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-29-2015 at 06:45 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    It was a "stock" (dealer) order.
    Ok, good to know. That kills the special order idea.

I'm asking a few of the usual suspects in Ford who are knowledgeable on this stuff.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Very cool! You have an early build car too! I would love to see a Marti on your car.

Mine too was built in 8-78, more specifically 8-17-78

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 05-04-2015 at 04:03 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371