Close

Default speakers in kick panels

anyone added speakers to there front kick panels. i know the the dash speakers suck and i don't want to cut up the door panels so i was thinking of adding 5 1/4" speakers in the kick panels.
    1976 II coupe, 1982 GT, 1986 LX

Check out the second pic in this thread. This Cobra has some sweet kick panel speakers:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ED-ADVICE-HELP!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quicksilver has a badass set up in his kick panels. Gotta look close in the pics. I'm waiting on info from him about it.

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

My 86 is so far from original, I just added speakers to the door panels- custom based upon the 87+. Requires a little build out unless you want to move the window track.

Another option is to replace the speakers in the dash, new speaker tech allows you to put a lot of power through those little speakers. I replaced mine and the ones in the rear panels in my convertible and they sounded pretty good. Well, as good as you can make a stereo sound in a convertible...

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm going to change up my front speakers so that I have 5-1/4" woofers in my kick panels and tweeters up in the dash pad area. The units I'm going with are Kenwood KFC-P509PS. I will have to make 1/4" plywood circles that are the same opening as the 3" holes in the dash, cut a smaller hole through them and install the tweeters into those. Then I'll screw them to the dash like the factory had their speakers.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/speakers/kfc-p509ps/

Here's a pic of the complete setup that I'll be buying.

Name:  image_product01_on.png
Views: 691
Size:  133.6 KB
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Newer dash speakers do sound a lot better but they are still pointed right at the windshield. I made some kick panels for the 85GT I had with some 6.5" separates and it sounded great. Just took a little time to fab up the kick panels. I've heard the Q-forms premade kick panels for the 87-up cars work in 79-86 cars with minor mods too.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    Newer dash speakers do sound a lot better but they are still pointed right at the windshield. I made some kick panels for the 85GT I had with some 6.5" separates and it sounded great. Just took a little time to fab up the kick panels. I've heard the Q-forms premade kick panels for the 87-up cars work in 79-86 cars with minor mods too.
    I've been wondering about the aero q-forms myself. That appears to be what quiksilver did. The q-forms were available for the foureyes up until about 2000. Would love to get my hands on a set.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

I filled the 3.5" space in my dash with some Rockford Fosgate 3.5" speakers on 40 watt deck power and then built 2 custom 5.25" boxes to put in front of the drivers and passenger seats running on amp power. I didn't want to ruin my door panels way back when. System sounds killer! The only problem with the speakers mounted in front of the seats is you can't adjust the seats forward, which for me isn't a problem. I'm 6'3" and no one drives my car but me LOL!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I ended up buying those front speaker components (Kenwood's KFC-P509PS) that I posted above and they work really well. I decided to mount them in the kick panels because I didn't want to ruin my door panels. It's also easier and cheaper to replace the kick panels as they are now reproduced at a reasonable price.

I had to make a 1/4" spacer to go behind the kick panels as these speakers were "thicker" than my old ones. I then painted the silver plastic covers and speaker grilles with Krylon's "Satin Black" paint to blend them in. From there I tackled the front dash speakers. Since I only had a 1/2" tweeter and my holes were 3", I knew I would have to fab something up. I took the original crappy Ford speakers and cut the entire paper cone out. I then noticed that the magnet was held on with 4 rivets. I drilled those out and knocked the magnets off. From there, I enlarged the hole in the center so that I could drop the tweeter directly into the center of the frame. Since the brackets to hold the tweeters were too flimsy for my liking, I took some construction adhesive in a caulking tube and laid a nice bead all the way around, then dropped the tweeter's frame into it. Once hardened, I re-sprayed the entire unit with Satin Black, dropped the tweeter in (positioning it so it was slightly tilted at the same angle as the windshield), and screwed them into the factory openings with the factory clips and screws. Yes, I ruined the factory speakers but I was never going to use them again anyway and the frame was perfect for mounting the tweeters. Here's some pic's of both the dash tweeters and the kick panel woofers.

Original front speakers

Name:  Front speaker.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  130.6 KB

New tweeter mounted in the middle of the factory speaker frame. I've since painted the silver trim ring in Satin Black.

Name:  Front speaker II.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0304.jpg
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0302.jpg
Size:  61.0 KB
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 11-26-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

A possible option for tweeters is this, found in GM Suburbans and Tahoes.

conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Kind of ruled out 'kicks' due to the tight mounting area, shoe hits, moisture, dirt, tracked in.
    Just as well, speakers can be changed out every few years as needed.
    Marine speakers could be an option. Usually white though. Good for white interiors?

I have these JBL dash speakers and very pleased with them. Fit great. Clean clear up front sound fill above mid bass.
    Product detail mentions optimizing off-axis sound performance and OEM-Level Reliability Testing.
    Real good deal on now for these and others:
    http://www.harmanaudio.com/car-speak...eakers#start=1

Quote Originally Posted by Mentok View Post
    I've been wondering about the aero q-forms myself. That appears to be what quiksilver did. The q-forms were available for the foureyes up until about 2000. Would love to get my hands on a set.
    Mentok, yes my kick panels are the Q-form ones. A friend of mine had bought two sets for a 1990 Mustang and I got one of them from him.

No modifications to the panels were required for a four-eyed car.

They came without holes cut in them, so I just test fitted them, cut the correct size speaker holes, painted to match, put in the speakers and tweeters, connected the wires and put them in. You have to drill one hole for the screw to fasten into the sheetmetal. It was an easy swap of kick panels. I still have the original kick panels if I ever change my mind.

I did use Blaupunkt Overdrive ODc650 ULTRA-SHALLOW MOUNT Overdrive Series 6-1/2" 2-way Component System that I had bought a couple of years before, but there is lots of room for conventional speakers as well.

I also disconnected the dash speakers at the same time. With the kick panel speakers, the sound comes at you and not at the windshield.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Kind of ruled out 'kicks' due to the tight mounting area, shoe hits, moisture, dirt, tracked in.
    Just as well, speakers can be changed out every few years as needed.
    Marine speakers could be an option. Usually white though. Good for white interiors?

I have these JBL dash speakers and very pleased with them. Fit great. Clean clear up front sound fill above mid bass.
    Product detail mentions optimizing off-axis sound performance and OEM-Level Reliability Testing.
    Real good deal on now for these and others:
    http://www.harmanaudio.com/car-speak...eakers#start=1

gr79,
    It all comes down to what works for you. If you're pleased with your system that's great.

I have had the kick panel speakers in the car for about 3,000 miles of driving now and I enjoy them. Having said that, my car is automatic and it is not daily driven. With mine, I started from the stock AM/FM cassette without premium sound and went to this. Considering my starting point, IMHO these really make a big difference over the stock audio system with dashboard speakers.

This is the driver's side when it was apart.

Name:  IMG_3326.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  93.5 KB

This shows the passenger side

Name:  IMG_3328.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  90.3 KB

This picture shows the amount of foot room on the driver's side.

Name:  IMG_2635.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  124.3 KB

Hope this helps.
    Rob

Cool setup good pics.
    Agreed- each setup and person is different.
    We all have to figure out what we want. Sharing info and pics to help others.
    Way back had a 67 Mustang verti. 6x9's in the kick panels. A bit much but rocked.
    Next level up, that's where i will add some 5's or 6's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    I ended up buying those front speaker components (Kenwood's KFC-P509PS) that I posted above and they work really well. I decided to mount them in the kick panels because I didn't want to ruin my door panels. It's also easier and cheaper to replace the kick panels as they are now reproduced at a reasonable price.

I had to make a 1/4" spacer to go behind the kick panels as these speakers were "thicker" than my old ones. I then painted the silver plastic covers and speaker grilles with Krylon's "Satin Black" paint to blend them in. From there I tackled the front dash speakers. Since I only had a 1/2" tweeter and my holes were 3", I knew I would have to fab something up. I took the original crappy Ford speakers and cut the entire paper cone out. I then noticed that the magnet was held on with 4 rivets. I drilled those out and knocked the magnets off. From there, I enlarged the hole in the center so that I could drop the tweeter directly into the center of the frame. Since the brackets to hold the tweeters were too flimsy for my liking, I took some construction adhesive in a caulking tube and laid a nice bead all the way around, then dropped the tweeter's frame into it. Once hardened, I re-sprayed the entire unit with Satin Black, dropped the tweeter in (positioning it so it was slightly tilted at the same angle as the windshield), and screwed them into the factory openings with the factory clips and screws. Yes, I ruined the factory speakers but I was never going to use them again anyway and the frame was perfect for mounting the tweeters. Here's some pic's of both the dash tweeters and the kick panel woofers.

Original front speakers

Name:  Front speaker.jpg
Size:  130.6 KB

New tweeter mounted in the middle of the factory speaker frame. I've since painted the silver trim ring in Satin Black.

Name:  Front speaker II.jpg
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0304.jpg
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0302.jpg
Size:  61.0 KB
    I planned on doing this tomorrow only with powerbass 2xl comps. Unfortunately ebay seller sent me the powerbass 3xl comps. Normally I wouldn't complain since the 3xls are $50 more, but they are 2.8" deep as opposed to 2.2". At least they sent me the right 6x9's so I can do the rear. Original owner cut the rear quarter and put pioneer 6x9's in it, but the surrounds are dust. Going to reuse the 80's pioneer grills though.

I might just put them in my b3000 since that has plenty of depth. I could use the 5.25" comps in that for the capri as they are pretty shallow.
    owner of the 666th mercury produced in 1983.......neat fact! black on black 5.0 t-5 capri with no other options but fishnet seats.....coincidence.......perhaps

Let us know how you make out! Just remember, if you're doing the kick panels speakers, you'll have to make a round spacer to go behind the kick panels to space them away from the metal of the unibody.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Great thread! I am curious on the Q-Form Kick Panel setup. On Robs setup, he has an automatic which appears to be ample room in the footwell but my car being a manual, I wonder how close that setup would be to the clutch pedal?
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Just noticed your post here Brock.... I would not try those with a manual. I would do dual cone 3.5" in dash and tweeters hidden in the vents.