Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1984 SVO Mustang COMP PREP car ?

I recently bought this beauty and I have some questions. After doing some research, I found out that this was SUPPOSED to come stock with power windows, power locks, radio, a/c, etc. Mine does not have any of those. There is a plastic piece covering where the radio is supposed to go (I will be installing a radio soon, but keeping the plastic piece), and there is a plastic piece covering where the antenna goes. The VIN is: 1FABP28T8EF222777. I will post a pic of the buck tag too. I have spoken to D. LaRocque and he says it is a Comp Prep car and built in the last month of production. I thought I read that there were only around 5 known 1984 Comp Prep cars. Is this true? I have always wanted an SVO since they came out and I was in High School at the time, so, of course, no money...no car! LOL. I finally got one and I may have stumbled on to an ULTRA RARE car. Hoping to get some feedback. Thanks

Bill
    Attachment 84098Attachment 84099Attachment 84098Attachment 84099
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by excalibr; 04-25-2015 at 08:16 PM.

That's awesome...congratulations!! She looks to be in amazing condition in addition to being a very special fox. It looks like Ford left the amplifier switch on the console, even if they didn't include a radio...I was curious about that. They deleted it (the amp switch) all together in 1985, but I was wondering what they did on comp preps in 84.

How many miles are on it? Is that paint original? It really looks beautiful, I hope you have a lot of fun with it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Good looking 84 svo! That would be pretty cool if it ends up being a comp prep car. Sounds like it could be. Wish mine was.lol Good luck with it.

Early 1984 SVO did not have AC, PL, PW, or AM/FM cassette as standard equipment. They are what SVO folks call "option delete" cars. Late February/early March those items became standard and only way to delete them (exc. radio in 1984 - that was only downgraded to no cassette) was Comp Prep.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-26-2015 at 05:53 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

There were 26 84 comp preps built in 84. According to my records yours is a comp prep. By the way the 84 comp preps did come with a radio, amfm no cassette 4 on the door data sticker. Here is the cheap Marti report on your car. You can get a deluxe one and a window sticker from them.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ight=comp+prep

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-SVO-Race-Cars
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kendal

Wow thats cool!!!!! Congrats...

FEP Member

Very nice.

Thanks for the corrections, Kendal. I changed my original post.

How many of the 26 1984 CP VINs have you ID'd? I have 14 in the database, mostly from you.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    222777 = 122,777th 1984 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61B = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    T = turbocharged intercooled 2.3L engine
    007_ = body & paint rotations #007_
    9W = Dark Charcoal Metallic exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    12 = rear glass with defrost, hatchback with dual spoiler
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    SVO = SVO model/trim level
    RM = rocker molding
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    05 = function hood scoop (SVO)
    EL
    -A = Charcoal interior trim color
    EI = electronic injection (EFI)
    12 = rear glass with defrost, hatchback with dual spoiler
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

This CP may have been built the last month of SVO production but non-SVO production continued into August 1984 -- I have several in the DB with 08/84 date. According to Stew Jones' old ThirdGenerationNewsAndBeyond website, 1984 SVO production ended July 25, 1984.

I am showing five more SVO VINs after 8EF222777 but my data has not been verified so I don't know how accurate that is.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Thanks for the corrections, Kendal. I changed my original post.

How many of the 26 1984 CP VINs have you ID'd? I have 14 in the database, mostly from you.
    I only have 13 in my database.
    Kendal

Nice find and glad to see that it is still alive!

Congrats on the purchase, hope you share more details as you enjoy her.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    I only have 13 in my database.
    WOW! Only 26 made and only 13 accounted for?? I guess this will be number 14. I plan on registering it and doing all the paperwork to get this verified (even though it has already been verified as one of the 26 built from '84). I will post more info on the car when I get back from work today. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from had no idea what he had....and neither did I until I did some digging. Thanks for all the feedback and I'll get back later.

Bill

What about value on something like this? I have it insured through Hagertty Insurance along with my '67 convertible. But, I need to have a value. Hagertty said an 84 SVO in very good condition was around 10k. With this being one of only 26 with Comp Prep package...what are some opinions? Is 10K good enough or does the Comp Prep add value? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by excalibr View Post
    WOW! Only 26 made and only 13 accounted for?? I guess this will be number 14. I plan on registering it and doing all the paperwork to get this verified (even though it has already been verified as one of the 26 built from '84). I will post more info on the car when I get back from work today. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from had no idea what he had....and neither did I until I did some digging. Thanks for all the feedback and I'll get back later.

Bill
    Well, thanks to Kendal, you have the Marti Report verifying that it is a Comp Prep. I would suggest you go ahead and order the Deluxe report as well.

From the pics it appears to be an unmolested car. Typically options are added by the various owners, like aftermarket stereos. I would be curious to know what happened to the original AM-FM radio though. That is all part of the fun in researching the history on your car as you start to go through it.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Power Member

$10K should be a very fair price for the 84 comp prep. Some people like Bluemax and me are really into the comp preps but others really don't care or would rather have a air conditioned car or don't want to wait around until a comp prep comes up for sale. I do think in the future they will become more collectable when they get put into the classes with the Cobra R's.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    $10K should be a very fair price for the 84 comp prep. Some people like Bluemax and me are really into the comp preps but others really don't care or would rather have a air conditioned car or don't want to wait around until a comp prep comes up for sale. I do think in the future they will become more collectable when they get put into the classes with the Cobra R's.
    Based on the pics you have shared, I would go with $10K as well.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

I've had two CPs but had to sell both of them. They went to Kendal of course...

Just my opinion but if you really want to add a stereo I'd find and install the correct one. Any cutting on a 30 year old wiring harness could be detrimental to the value. There should be plugs already in the harness for the stock stereo so no cutting would be involved.

Does it have rear speakers?
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

You can insure it for more (within reason) it will just cost you more. If you're wanting the coverage to match the value then 10K is probably about right. A comp prep is an interesting car....to some it's a hella rare, race inspired option package. To others is a stripped down version of a turbo Mustang thats missing some key comfort options. Right now SVO's are still very affordable and they haven't been recognized for how advanced they were (at the time) or their contribution to what they did for the future of the Mustang (all the advancements that made it onto subsequent models, the fact that they were race inspired and track prepared, etc). With Ford bringing back the turbo engine in the Mustang, hopefully the SVO won't have to languish in the shadows very much longer because it does have all the makings of a great (and valuable) collector car. Once that happens your car will be the one to have, and that 10K dollar insurance value will need to be adjusted. Just make sure you get all the documentation you can to back up the fact that it is a real comp prep. It's harder for 84 comp prep owners to prove what they have is legit, so get a deluxe Marti Report, and see if Marti Auto has the Eminger Invoice for your car as well.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

thanks for all the input! Unfortunately, before I found all this info, I had a radio installed. I saved the block out piece. I also had an antenna installed but again, I kept the block out piece. There was no center dash speaker and no amp. There were 2 old side dash speakers and the rear 5x7 speakers were installed. I'm not sure if the previous owner put them in or not. They were not connected and looked like ford factory but cannot remember. I will add more info when I get home tonight. I'm typing this at pasta house while waiting for food! Lol. Hopefully I didn't ruin the value by putting the radio and antenna on. If someone is a real purist they can remove them and put the block out pieces back in place.

I also plan on getting the full report and any other documentation I can get on this car. It is unmolested except for the radio I put in.

OK. I'm back home now. I saw this listed on Craigs List in the STL area. The guy had it listed for $6500. I waited and a couple weeks later he marked it down to $6000. I was in the area, so called him so I could look and test drive it. As soon as I saw it, and DROVE it, I knew I was leaving with it. We negotiated, and I ended up paying $5000. The paint is not original, but it was repainted with the original color around 5 years ago I believe he stated. The odometer showed 53xxxx. He said he was told it was original miles from the guy he bought it from (I'm the 3rd owner), but he had no proof. I don't know if there is a true way to find out either. It runs like a bat out of hell and does not leak or burn oil..or any fluids. It's a tight little engine. There is no rust. The interior is near mint---2 cracks in dash, but that's about it for bad parts on the inside. Wheels are original. I wanted an unmolested SVO and looked at 5 or 6 prior to this one, but they all had different rims or engine 'upgrades', or some other changes. This was the first one I found that was as close to factory as you can get. As I stated above, I have installed a radio and put the 2 smaller speakers in the dash, but the center hole is still empty. The rear 5x7 speakers are working too. I love driving it! The handling is amazing and when that turbo kicks in and pushes you back into the seat there is no better feeling. I am going to order the deluxe Marti report and register it with the SVO Club of America. If there are any other clubs that are better, please let me know. I am hoping to take it to local car shows in the coming years. I have a '67 convertible that is fully restored, but I don't take it to shows because you see alot of other 'vintage' Mustangs. But, I hardly ever see any SVO Mustangs! I don't think they are getting the attention they deserve, but in my garage it gets all the attention a person can give! LOL

The center hole is actually for the amplifier and not a speaker. My 86 2A Comp Prep also had an aftermarket radio installed by the original owner ( I was the second owner ) which was removed. I had to buy an NOS dash block off plate and fender plate to return it to stock.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Interesting Ken! It must have been made to fit the amp OR a speaker maybe? I wondered why they would have 2 small dash speakers on each side AND a center speaker.

Amp only in the center. The holes are there for cooling. I have never seen a Fox of any year with a factory center mounted speaker. I can't say that is absolute truth just based on my experience.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast