Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 84 Premium sound stock speakers

Can anyone tell me what size the front door speakers were in original equipment?

There were no front door speakers provided as original or optional equipment in 1984. A convertible with a premium setup would have had two dash speakers and two rear quarter speakers and an amp under the dash pad.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    There were no front door speakers provided as original or optional equipment in 1984. A convertible with a premium setup would have had two dash speakers and two rear quarter speakers and an amp under the dash pad.
    So on a similar fox body, what size speakers were in the door's

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    So on a similar fox body, what size speakers were in the door's
    The only vehicle that is comparable would be the 1983 convertible, which did have optional door speakers. As to their size, I've no idea.
    Bryan

I believe the 83 convertible had 5.25" speakers in the lower rear corner of the door.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

My 84 GT Convertible has Premium Sound with dash and door speakers. It is an early build so maybe they moved them to the inside rear quarters when they added the fog lights and other mid-year changes. I can measure mine when I get home tonight, but I think they are 6" round.

Attachment 84028
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

I put 5.25" Rockford Fosgate midrange speakers in the lower front corner of my doors and tweeters in the dash speaker openings. I know that cutting holes in the door panels is frowned upon by many on this forum, but they are not over stated and look like they belong there. Plus, they sound great.

Last edited by smitty54; 04-24-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Early 1984 convertible had door speakers, as Bill has pointed out on his 1984 GT convertible. I do not know if only cars with premium sound got door speakers. Later in the year the door speakers were moved to the more familiar location behind the rear interior quarter panel. I do not know the date that the changeover happened.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-24-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I believe the 83 convertible had 5.25" speakers in the lower rear corner of the door.
    very odd. My door panels actually have rear cutouts for a speaker but I could not understand why they would be in the rear of the door just inches from the rear speakers.

The reason im asking is I want to be sure I don't have a problem with clearance on the power window. I'd like a 6 inch speaker but Crutchfeld says the door speaker should be 5 1/14

I was hoping to squeeze in JBL GTO 628 6 inchers in there and cut out a hole on the front of the door panel while keeping the door carpet intact to keep the stock look but actually have a better stereo.

My vert only hold 6 inch round in the rear and 3 1/2 in the dash. Terribly inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmania View Post
    My 84 GT Convertible has Premium Sound with dash and door speakers. It is an early build so maybe they moved them to the inside rear quarters when they added the fog lights and other mid-year changes. I can measure mine when I get home tonight, but I think they are 6" round.

Attachment 84028
    I didn't know that... I knew that I should have consulted hat 1984 Ford Audio Equipment Guide I bought...If I could lay my hands on it. One of the PO's for my car installed door speakers in the front, which don't currently function. I bought a pair of the convertible speaker grilles to hide them. The incorrect location is still a dead giveaway, though.
    Bryan

very odd. My door panels actually have rear cutouts for a speaker but I could not understand why they would be in the rear of the door just inches from the rear speakers.

The reason im asking is I want to be sure I don't have a problem with clearance on the power window. I'd like a 6 inch speaker but Crutchfeld says the door speaker should be 5 1/14

I was hoping to squeeze in JBL GTO 628 6 inchers in there and cut out a hole on the front of the door panel while keeping the door carpet intact to keep the stock look but actually have a better stereo.

My vert only hold 6 inch round in the rear and 3 1/2 in the dash. Terribly inadequate.
    My doors have the rear cutouts for the speakers also. They were covered over by the door panel. I think that was a terrible location for speakers anyway.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Early 1984 convertible had door speakers, as Bill has pointed out on his 1984 GT convertible. I do not know if only cars with premium sound got door speakers. Later in the year the door speakers were moved to the more familiar location behind the rear interior quarter panel. I do not know the date that the changeover happened.
    From the 1984 Mustang/Capri Broadcast Handbook:
    'AAG' (AM/FM Stereo) and 'AAT' (AM/FM Stereo /Cassette) Include dual rear speakers
    'AEC' (Premium Sound Systems requires 'AAG' or 'AAT' stereo radios

The 1984 Facts Book and Brochure also says that all stereo radios include 4 speakers.

So what we know regarding location:

2-door coupe rear speaker location - package tray
    3-door hatchback rear speaker location - rear quarter trim
    2-door convertible rear speaker location - rear of doors (early), rear quarter trim (late)
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

According to my window sticker and my Marti report, my car came with a premium sound system. I have an 84 1/2 model year GT convertible. There were no speakers in the door, and there were no speakers behind the rear quarter trim. I only had 2 speakers in the dash.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Im sure mine came with premium sound. I had a cassette player and factory amp in mine but I thought the premium system had door speakers too.

If I go with 5.25 round speakers will the power window definitely clear it going down? Id rather have 6 inch but Im more worried about fitment.

Here is the pic of my speaker.

Attachment 84323
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

I put 5.25" Rockford Fosgate midrange speakers in the lower front corner of my doors and tweeters in the dash speaker openings. I know that cutting holes in the door panels is frowned upon by many on this forum, but they are not over stated and look like they belong there. Plus, they sound great.

sorry to bring this up again, I think Im gonna go for a pair of 5.25 in the front door panel like you did but I want to have them behind the door carpet and not over the panel. Do you know how much depth I have before they interfere with the windows in a fully rolled down state?

I want to cut out the card board behind the carpet to expose the speaker but it will still look stock.

These are the speakers that I had installed. They fit fine and don't interfere with the windows. The tweeters were installed in the speaker openings in the dash.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FOS...item4d3181adec

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

So I had speakers installed in the front doors. I'd post pics but I had the installer cut out the backing cardboard and leave the carpet intact. It may deaden the sound a bit but I wanted to keep it looking stock.

These are the speakers I put in.

Attachment 85741

I love the sound from JBL GTO series speakers. Now I have 6 of them.

Got it done at Automotive Electronics Solutions in Freeport NY for those that are in my area. They guy is good and did exactly as I asked of him.

I had mine put in hidden behind the carpet but its muffling the sound to the point I think Ill have to cut the carpet and put the after market covers on. Unless I can find stock Mustang speaker covers on ebay. Suggestions?

Something generic like these. You don't want to draw a lot of attention to them.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-OF-...item5b0d72fd68

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Something generic like these. You don't want to draw a lot of attention to them.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-OF-...item5b0d72fd68
    I have the covers that came with the JBL's I can use them. I was hoping I could locate the stock Mustang covers that are posted in this tread. Ill keep looking

The stock Mustang covers were plastic. With the location now in the front, you might want a sturdier cover in case it gets hit by a foot.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I did install 5 1/4 JBL speakers in the front door.

At first I asked the stereo shop to cut the back of door panel but leave the carpet intact to leave the tock look, but this muffled the sound of the door speakers.

So I searched online and got a pair of front door speaker covers that go to a later model Mustang, but they fit my door panel just fine. I painted the same Academy Blue as the interior and they look like they have always been there.

Attachment 88251Attachment 88252

That's how it looked before and after.

Nice job. It looks great! Are they attached with just 1 screw?
    Last edited by smitty54; 07-26-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I did install 5 1/4 JBL speakers in the front door.

At first I asked the stereo shop to cut the back of door panel but leave the carpet intact to leave the tock look, but this muffled the sound of the door speakers.

So I searched online and got a pair of front door speaker covers that go to a later model Mustang, but they fit my door panel just fine. I painted the same Academy Blue as the interior and they look like they have always been there.

Attachment 88251Attachment 88252

That's how it looked before and after.
    At times, I wish I had that option. A previous owner installed door speakers in mine, but set them further back on the panel:

I found a pair of door speaker grilles from an 83/early 84 convertible, so they don't stand out so much.
    Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast